Seattle signs CB Justin Coleman-1 year deal

sdog1981

Reaction score
That's awesome. His compensatory pick got the hawks DJ Dallas in the 2020 draft and now he is back.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Instant upgrade in the nickel. Love it. He's a good tackler for a little guy, too. Surprised Miami let him get away.

sutz

Reaction score
Instant upgrade in the nickel. Love it. He's a good tackler for a little guy, too. Surprised Miami let him get away.
He's listed at 5'11"/190#, which isn't that small for a CB. If he was 5'9" or something, I'd be worried. :)

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's listed at 5'11"/190#, which isn't that small for a CB. If he was 5'9" or something, I'd be worried. :)
True. I guess I'm comparing him to the profile Pete and John used to seem to prefer at cornerback.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Great to see Coleman back! Confirms my theory that Pete is loading up on DBs for the SB so that even if one CB or S gets knocked out of the game, we don't have to rely on Etric Pruitt or Tharald Simon to claim the Lombardi. ;-) Still never understood why Marcus Burley was a healthy scratch in SB49 in favor of Tharald Simon against Edelman and Amendola. Anyway, now Pete & John can go to work on assembling the remaining roster that is capable of getting to the big game.

sutz

Reaction score
True. I guess I'm comparing him to the profile Pete and John used to seem to prefer at cornerback.
I hear you, but those 6'+ guys are not that common and the rest of the league has come around on the old 'too tall to play CB' meme they used to follow. Sherman broke that mold for good. Tall CBs with skills go fast.

And late add, I wonder if Coleman is catching some kind of vibe in wanting to come back to the Hawks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Too early to say much until we see the numbers. If it's similar to Burns ($2m/1yr, 1m guaranteed) then that's a solid deal. Coleman was a depth player with Miami playing about a third of their defensive snaps and a third of the special team snaps. He's turning 29 on Sunday.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I hear you, but those 6'+ guys are not that common and the rest of the league has come around on the old 'too tall to play CB' meme they used to follow. Sherman broke that mold for good. Tall CBs with skills go fast.

And late add, I wonder if Coleman is catching some kind of vibe in wanting to come back to the Hawks.
I think so. Pete is loading up on veteran DBs who can actually play at an NFL level. Think maybe it's partly Desai's influence? I do think there is an under-the-radar vibe going on with the Hawks.

We'll know for sure on the vibe thing if the Hawks sign a veteran QB who gets injured in preseason. The key moment will be the presser where Pete steps to the podium, and through tears, says, "We will rally around Drew Lock, and we will play good football."

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Coleman's cap number last year with MIA was $2.25M, which seems appropriate.

Hopefully, he has signed with the Hawks for roughly the same amount.

Jville

Reaction score
According to a report by Tom Pelissero at NFL Network, the Seahawks have agreed to terms with their former cornerback Justin Coleman to a one-year deal.

Coleman (5-foot-11, 190 pounds) previously played for Seattle in the 2017 and 2018 seasons, totaling three interceptions in 32 games. Most of his snaps came in the slot position, which has been a sore point for this defense ever since Coleman left. After his exit, he spent two seasons in Detroit, followed by one in Miami. All together, he’s played in 95 total games. Coleman will turn 29 years old in a few days.

The Seahawks also have other options for the slot in Artie Burns, Marquise Blair and Ugo Amadi. https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/23/seahawks-bringing-back-justin-coleman/
............... a concise summary. Interesting that Justin spent last season with an exciting wide open attacking and blitzing defense in Miami.

Coleman played every game for the Seahawks during the 2017 and 2018 seasons before moving on for two years with the Lions and a year in Miami. He had 27 tackles and two interceptions in 16 games with the Dolphins.

Coleman returned two interceptions and one fumble for touchdowns during his first tour with the Seahawks and the team would not mind seeing that kind of production in his second stint. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...oleman-agrees-to-one-year-deal-with-seahawks/

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
I can't find the salary offer for him anywhere...he's officially signed, so why no salary numbers posted yet?

OH, a favorite memory of Coleman:

Last edited: