Jed compares Tomsula to Steve Kerr

hawknation2015

Reaction score
:snack:

"Culture is huge. That's the difference between a championship-caliber team and a championship team," York told The MMQB's Emily Kaplan. "You look at the Golden State Warriors. They were the dumbest team in the NBA for letting Mark Jackson go, who won the most games in the franchise's history. How could you be so dumb? They bring in Steve Kerr, who has been around the game for a long period of time but has never coached before. Kerr changes the culture, comes in with a different perspective, and look what happens."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... iring-kerr

32 jim tomsula san francisco 49ers pg 600
150619-kerr.jpg

Marvin49

Reaction score
I was wondering what was taking you so long to post that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":eogzx820 said:
Marvin49":eogzx820 said:
hawknation2015":eogzx820 said:

Do you really think that bothers me? I'm a Warriors fan dude. LOL.

And Kerr is a Seahawks fan.

LMAO :49ersmall:

...and I couldn't care less. Dude just got the Dubs their first ring in 40 years. You really think I care what his fave football team is? Not. One. Bit.

I'm still on cloud nine over that one. :D

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
These guys are like a gold mine in South Africa. A virtual bottomless well of hilarity instead of gold. It's a match made in heaven if you think about it for awhile.... Jed---> 49er's---> red and gold---> South Africa---> gold mines---> stupidity---> Jed---> Tomasula.

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawknation2015":217rihvg said:
:snack:

"Culture is huge. That's the difference between a championship-caliber team and a championship team," York told The MMQB's Emily Kaplan. "You look at the Golden State Warriors. They were the dumbest team in the NBA for letting Mark Jackson go, who won the most games in the franchise's history. How could you be so dumb? They bring in Steve Kerr, who has been around the game for a long period of time but has never coached before. Kerr changes the culture, comes in with a different perspective, and look what happens."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... iring-kerr

DavidTennantlaughing.gif~c200

happy laugh are you kidding me Michael Jordan GIF

thumb300_MTM5ODMyODQwMzE2Mzc3XzE.gif

Giphy

Giphy

Giphy

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
OT, but Maulbert I just noticed the quote from 'Meltdown' in your sig. Sweet.

"It's Whinnie the Pooh! ... He's refusing the blindfold..." :lol:

As for Tomsula, I'm genuinely curious to see what kind of vibe he brings to the team.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Maulbert":1oqpize6 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1oqpize6 said:

Thanks. I'm surprised it took that long for someone to catch the reference.
LOL, just now saw your location too. :lol: Has that been there a while?

On topic...

For anyone who knows, was Tomsula part of any championship teams as a player or coach? Kerr was new to the job, but not a stranger to championship teamwork and great coaching.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Is it possible Jed/Tomfoola's Whiners could still be searching for their first win when they play the Seahawks?

This is my dream scenario . . . 0-10. Maybe a 10% chance of this happening.
L Vikings
L @Steelers
L @Cardinals
L Packers
L @Giants
L Ravens
L Seahawks
L @Rams
L Falcons
L @Seahawks

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1jdyj8yh said:
Maulbert":1jdyj8yh said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1jdyj8yh said:

On topic...

For anyone who knows, was Tomsula part of any championship teams as a player or coach? Kerr was new to the job, but not a stranger to championship teamwork and great coaching.
I am sure he has a couple of pee wee football titles under his belt .8)

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":mcx1qsnj said:
Is it possible Jed/Tomfoola's Whiners could still be searching for their first win when they play the Seahawks?

This is my dream scenario . . . 0-10. Maybe a 10% chance of this happening.
L Vikings
L @Steelers
L @Cardinals
L Packers
L @Giants
L Ravens
L Seahawks
L @Rams
L Falcons
L @Seahawks

My dream scenario would have them beating the Packers just to get their hopes up, but I can easily envision an 0-7 start.

NINEster

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":ahuovg7p said:
Maulbert":ahuovg7p said:
HawkAroundTheClock":ahuovg7p said:

On topic...

Tomsula has been part of the 49er coaching staff pre-Harbaugh, so he has some knowledge of the good and bad of an NFL locker room.

He has coached in NFL Europe, so the actual job function he has performed.....just not on an NFL level.

As far as Harbaugh was concerned, his first time to consistent playoff success and an SB appearance was with the 49ers. I think his biggest success as a player was the '95 AFC Championship game against the Steelers.

You look at ex-QBs who have been head coaches besides Harbaugh:

Jason Garrett ('90s Cowboys)
Gary Kubiak ('80s-'90s Broncos)

Ex players:

Jack Del Rio (Saints/Chiefs/Cowboys right before '92/Vikings)
Todd Bowles ('92 49ers)
Jeff Fisher ('85 Bears)
Mike Munchak (HOF player for Oilers)
John Fox ('78 Bucs practice squad)
Jay Gruden (NFL Europe, Arena football)

Think of a HOF player or one who played on championship teams, and at most they are usually assistant coaches (Ken Norton, Tom Rathman).

It's a really nuanced job, so much that goes into being successful. Chances of Brady or Peyton Manning being stalwart head coaches are no better than two no names.

You want a guy who was/is a brilliant coordinator and worked with the dynasty triplets Cowboys Team?

Norv Turner.

Love(d) him as an OC, but if he took over the Niner job I'd be very worried.

Looking at the available head coaches this offseason I'm not so sure there was a "sure shot" guy. I think Rex with a strong OC would have been very good and a safe bet, but no guarantee he would get that OC if he hadn't for years with the Jets. Quinn I think was looking at a weaker division with a self running offense, otherwise SF could have been in the cards.

Gase, McDaniels, Kubiak all very good offensive minds but haven't dominated at the HC level. Same with Wade Phillips and defense.

And Quinn while very much a "Hawk", is unproven himself just like every other rookie head coach right now. Coordinator experience? Harbs didn't have any coordinator experience and was dominant for a little while. But when he started to fade away, that lack started to show considering the Niners were running his Stanford offense through Greg Roman.

Also, Quinn is a student of Pete Carroll like Bradley before him. Were any of Bill Walsh's students better than the man himself?

It's all very fascinating moving forward. Tomsula will have a defense that is ready to play no doubt so long as Mangini's Xs & Os are still sharp. Offensive staff is a big question mark, but Niner fans know even if there are struggles, it won't be THE SAME ONES. :x