Warriors' Kerr attributes success to Carroll's philosophy

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
sc85sis":826ckvap said:
A key to both Pete and Steve is the willingness to learn as well as teach.

Great point. Add to that the willingness to admit to mistakes and move on. Nobody's infallible, and while it certainly takes a healthy ego to become a head coach, a little introspection goes a long way.

netskier

Reaction score
Kerr played for Jackson in Chicago with Jordan and rodman. He was the guy with the deadly three point shot. Kerr could probably write a book on Jackson's coaching techniques, or at least edit it. I should probably read both books.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
He should also read Vince Lombardi's book--which was an original inspiration for PC. I'm sure Kerr can still pick up insight even if he played for Jackson. Even about how to lose a team, like Phil did at the end with the Lakers.

Throwdown

Reaction score
chimpanjesus":gzlh0jho said:
Such a bummer to know that Kerr would be here right now coaching the SONICS if the sacramento move had gone through. Phil Jackson was on board to be our GM and he had already lined up Kerr to coach. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Have you seen what Jackson has done to the Knicks?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Throwdown":3usrjwjg said:
chimpanjesus":3usrjwjg said:
Such a bummer to know that Kerr would be here right now coaching the SONICS if the sacramento move had gone through. Phil Jackson was on board to be our GM and he had already lined up Kerr to coach. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Have you seen what Jackson has done to the Knicks?

The Knicks were on a death spiral before Jackson came on board. I think he was right to blow up that team. His only mistake was re-signing Carmelo Anthony.

That doesn't mean he will prove to be a good GM. Many times personalties of his type are better off as coaches, see Kerr.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":hjxb85tu said:
He should also read Vince Lombardi's book--which was an original inspiration for PC. I'm sure Kerr can still pick up insight even if he played for Jackson. Even about how to lose a team, like Phil did at the end with the Lakers.
Wooden, not Lombardi.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
sc85sis":1190hiru said:
Lords of Scythia":1190hiru said:
Wooden, not Lombardi.

Yes, Lombardi was not mentioned at all in Win Forever. Reading Wooden's book is what triggered Carroll to formulate his philosophy in writing.

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2g8tfem6 said:
sc85sis":2g8tfem6 said:
Lords of Scythia":2g8tfem6 said:
Wooden, not Lombardi.

Yes, Lombardi was not mentioned at all in Win Forever. Reading Wooden's book is what triggered Carroll to formulate his philosophy in writing.

Yup, Carroll is way more influenced by John Wooden than Vince Lombardi, and thankfully so. Lombardi set coaching back about 3 decades, because coaches copied his abusive "syntax" without understanding that Lombardi was successful *despite* that stuff, NOT because of it. I had several idiot coaches back in the day who fancied themselves as Lombardi wannabes. Uniformly terrible coaches. They were only copying his surface syntax, not his substance.

Carroll talks quite a bit about Wooden's influence on him.
Bill Walsh is of course a huge influence on Carroll as well.

Credit Carroll for seeking out great mentors and learning from them, and also being willing to share the knowledge and mentor others.