CALIHAWK1":3s81lr4r said:
Hawkfan77":3s81lr4r said:
CALIHAWK1":3s81lr4r said:
McGruff said:
Hill -> Bennett
Willaims -> Red
SCruggs -> McDonald
Avril -> Clemons

And we don't miss a beat while using all that cap room to sign Earl, Sherman, Tate and Doug . . .

I must be reading it wrong. Every guy on the right side is proven to be better than the guy on the left except Avril and Clemons are fairly close. So I dont realy know what you symbols mean. Besides 3 of 4 on left played how many games combined last year.
McGruff's post makes perfect sense to me

Great explanation on why.

Arrows of transition (x is taking over y's role), not mathematical symbols in this instance.

If thats the case fine but as pointed out the transitions didnt necessarily translate. IMO in most every case if for no other reason, the fact 3 were all injured all or most of all last year they would be downgrades at least in the immediate future because they are unknown compared to proven commodities.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Good news. However, I have a feeling that he's going to need more than just a healed knee to crack the rotation. (I think it's highly likely that Bryant's back in 2014 on a cheaper deal.)

hawk45

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3tzi6xuy said:
Popeyejones":3tzi6xuy said:
MizzouHawkGal":3tzi6xuy said:
he was a 1st round talent no question.
All to say that I really love high risk/high reward picks from the late 4th through the early 6th because in the grand scheme of things the risks are really low. The flyer, even if it doesn't pan out, is totally worth it, IMO.

Agreed. We got great value on Thurmond the same way. Once you get to the mid-fourth, might as well look at least a couple times for high upside guys with character or injury issues and roll the dice. This gives you the chance to turn a fourth-round pick into a first- or second-round player talent.

I have to disagree we got great value on Thurmond. Thurmond would be a good example of when this approach sometimes results in throwing away a draft pick. What did we end up getting out of Thurmond, part of 1 healthy seasons cut short by a drug suspension before we have to sign him to contract number 2 and let him go?

I do agree that it makes sense to sprinkle in some high risk/reward picks in the later rounds vs the earlier rounds. I'm just nit-picking the Thurmond example. If Williams pans out like Thurmond, we'll still be missing a replacement for Red.

ivotuk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2h5jhjgo said:
McGruff":2h5jhjgo said:
Lat year McDonald played better than McDonald ever has . . .

True bill and there is no reason to think he will regress.
McDonald said when he got cut the last time that he had time to sit and think about his future. He determined that if he got another chance he was going to play lights out, and that's what we saw.

I suspect that John and Pete knew what they were doing when the cut Clinton. They knew his potential when they traded for him, and they also knew that he wasn't paying up to that potential. If he's smart, he comes back to Seattle for veteran minimum.

But somebody with lots of cap space will pay him more than he is worth. Great for him if they do.

John Schneider also said something to the effect of "the 2013 draft class will be redshirted" for the most part."

There wasn't a lot of room on this team for rookies, and only the best would make the cut to the 53. For John Schneider and Pete Carroll, IR is a handy tool. :D

Hawks46

Reaction score
This is great news.

I think the guys on the DL with the most upside (room to improve) are Williams, Brooks, and Scruggs. I personally think McDonald will improve a bit, but we might not be able to sign him.

McDonald is still young in terms of game snaps, so I think he probably hasn't hit his ceiling quite yet. As he's not physically dominating, he relies on more technique than size to blow up plays. He is very quick and that helps, but he's not a guy like Mebane that can take on double teams as well as get penetration, but he anchors well against one guy and is hard to stop from penetrating.

I think we can only sign one of McDaniel or McDonald. Geting only one of those is fine by me; I'm intrigued by our younger guys I listed above.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I dunno. It's good to be enthusiastic, but all I saw in Williams was a chicken-legged brute with no real technique at all. He seems outrageously overrated by a lot of folks, but hey, if Pete and John see something in the guy, then I will keep my fingers crossed.

Personally, I think he's the Max Unger of the defense.

McGruff

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1sxnnlsp said:
I dunno. It's good to be enthusiastic, but all I saw in Williams was a chicken-legged brute with no real technique at all. He seems outrageously overrated by a lot of folks, but hey, if Pete and John see something in the guy, then I will keep my fingers crossed.

Probowler, All Pro and concensus top 5 at his position?

I'll go with that!

MysterMatt

Reaction score
McGruff":rg4iu87o said:
MysterMatt":rg4iu87o said:

I'll go with that!
Rickety. Overrated. Always gets a pass for poor performance.

BASF

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3kudz2jm said:

Was it you or Dom who said basically the same things about Bryant when he broke in?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3lxfx88o said:

Seems a bit early to write off Williams after only one pre-season.

Oh, that's right, that's pretty much what most people did after Max Unger's first year, as well. That comment makes sense, now. :sarcasm_off:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3f3fclyl said:
McGruff":3f3fclyl said:
MysterMatt":3f3fclyl said:

I'll go with that!
Rickety. Overrated. Always gets a pass for poor performance.
You do know he was playing through serious injury this year?