Jeffery Simmons

Ozzy

Reaction score
Would love to have him but they can'[t afford him unless they cut some current players and restructure some guys.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
How would they be able to afford him under the cap. Damn good player, no doubt.
it's certainly possible.

he's on year 5 of his rookie deal, cap hit is 10.7m so it's not crazy. but yeah, he also would need extended before a trade, otherwise you may lose him in FA.

#20 would be hard to part with. but then atleast we'd have a 25 year old 2x probowler at 3-4 DE and vital part of the defensive core moving forward.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
look at it this way, jalen carter would be a 3-4 DE for us. if jalen carter is off the seahawks board, instead of giving up #5 to carter, you give up #20 instead for a proven guy in simmons. then you still have #5... you could still take BPA at #5 or trade down from #5 and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they could find the money between extending him and back-loading some of his money and possibly extending Tyler and/or restructuring DK. This team isn't as cash strapped as it might initially seem just by looking at the cap. They have a lot of flexibility in the contracts they give players because they don't regularly use a lot of the tricks the teams like the Rams and Saints do making it seem like they have unlimited cap, but in the right situation they could...

It will likely come down to:
a - is the player willing to be creative/flexible with his contract
and b - how much draft capital it will take

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Too bad we can't just get every player we want and magically have no cap issues. cough cough Rams cough cough

People coming in to defend the Rams, yet again, in 3.....2.....1.........

(lighten up, it's just a joke)

massari

Reaction score
Would do #20 + #83 + 2024 2nd in a heartbeat. That's basically what the Chiefs gave up for Frank Clark

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
They'd have a deal already in place to extend him before the trade, so there would be room.
I agree re having an extension already in place, but we currently have a $10M - $12M shortfall to sign all our draft picks, pay our practice squad players and have a contingency fund in place for IR'd players and potentially signing a vet or two during the season.

Last edited:

DJrmb

Reaction score
I agree re having an extension already in place, but we currently have a $10M - $12M to sign all our draft picks, pay our practice squad players and have a contingency fund in place for IR'd players and potentially signing a vet or two during the season.
They have multiple guys they can restructure or extend to clear cap space. Lockett and Nwosu just to name a couple.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Damn. Tempting. But they can't do the Jamal Trade again without a contract in place.

Maybe packaging Noah Fant and Darrell Taylor into the deal could lower the pick capital needed, and lessen the cap complications some. It's an incredible draft for TEs. And Fant, like Simmons, is a FA next year.

getnasty

Reaction score
This actually feels like a John and Pete kind of trade to me (Harvin, Graham, Adams, Sheldon Richardson) and makimg it fit under the cap is doable.

The Titans traded AJ Brown for similar compensation last year so its not totally out of the question but I think the Titans would want more then 20.

All that being said if you want a defensive linemen I like the talent there in this draft. Plus I still think Seattle goes Carter at 5.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It would be cool to get a NT before the draft. I think Seattle needs at least 3 maybe
4 LBs regardless of round taken. Who are the starting linebackers if the season started tomorrow? We also need backups.

Wagner
Bush
Nwousu
?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
It would be cool to get a NT before the draft. I think Seattle needs at least 3 maybe
4 LBs regardless of round taken. Who are the starting linebackers if the season started tomorrow? We also need backups.
*would love to see a'shawn robinson signed before the draft. then we can be less desperate trying to find a NT in the draft

*they still need atleast 1 starting-caliber +coverage MLB to put beside wagner. not a huge believer in bush at this point.