Jeremy Lane: 'I would love to go back to the Seahawks'

pehawk

Reaction score
Will Lane be $6M APY better than Simon, Burley, MoSeisay, Tye? I don't think so. I'd rather spend that on more bodies across the DL. And/or, keep Irvin.

I love Lane, was a Lane truther before it was cool, but the math don't work.

Now I'm a Tye truther.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe.

What I do know is that for several years running, in a league that has focused on enabling the QB, the winner of the SB has always had a strong group of corners.

That includes Denver, New England, and Us. 3 might not be a trend, but it is close.

Should also point out that the lack of effective secondary was one the key things that kept Carolina from effectively competing, it was filling in that missing piece that helped get them over the hump. Other than that, they were pretty close to the same team. (Strong DL, strong LB, athletic QB prone to get too high/low and to take dumb risks - along with almost no WRs and a good run game - but you could pass on them if you could keep the line off you).

It could also be argued that the lack of secondary for half the year put us behind in getting to the playoffs. So it makes no sense to dismiss the importance of keeping good secondary performers we know are capable in the hope that someone who rarely sees the field can somehow replace them.

Corners cost $. And unless we are getting Nkemdiche, we aren't going to get much help on the line anyway. Now if getting rid of Lane helps us keep Irvin? Then that is a harder decision, not even sure you make that decision but it becomes harder for sure. I would sacrifice goats on a rooftop to keep Irvin, but I am not sure I would sacrifice one of our few effective corners after a year without corners on one side nearly cost us even GETTING to the playoffs.

(I hate you Cary Williams)

But if you have a plan to win a SB, you had better have a strong secondary and right now thinning our secondary seems counterproductive as a plan to win another one.

pehawk

Reaction score
Irvin needs two players to replace him. Lane? Simon or Burley can, certainly. Even Shead.

Tical21

Reaction score
The real question is how much you trust Burley in the slot. Lane is more than replaceable on the outside. If you think Burley is one of the better nickel corners in the league, you let Lane go. If you don't, you have no choice but to sign him. I am huge on Tye Smith, but he was god-awful in the slot in the preseason. I mean guys running 7 yards open god-awful. Neither Shead nor Simon can do any better. Remember, your nickel corner is on the field like for 60% of the plays now. The thought of Sherman, Simon/Shead and Burley doesn't comfort me through the night.

pehawk

Reaction score
What about the Muslim we traded for with Detroit?

Thing is, all these dudes - Lane, Maxwell, Browner, any DB that's been through here have never been naturally gifted CB/slots. Even Sherm was a goofy looking CB at first. Pete wills and chisels all these cats into the DB's they are. I'm comfortable with yet another offseason Pete can craft another slot out of Burley, Tye (you may be right he's just an outside guy), Mo. Shead could be fantastic if given the shot inside, consistently, and with an offseason, IMO.

There's just to much intriguing depth (getting healthy) at a position Pete makes in his sleep to spend real money.

Rob12

Reaction score
pehawk":1qbpapcy said:
Will Lane be $6M APY better than Simon, Burley, MoSeisay, Tye? I don't think so. I'd rather spend that on more bodies across the DL. And/or, keep Irvin.

I love Lane, was a Lane truther before it was cool, but the math don't work.

Now I'm a Tye truther.

Agreed with a lot of that, though I think Bruce is gone. I think spotrac is predicting Bruce to get around $9M/APY. No way can the Seahawks come close to matching that. Way too much capital tied up in linebackers. I think the Vinny Curry deal was the kiss of death for Bruce staying here. The market has already priced him out of Seattle, I think.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
One bad cornerback (Cary) cost us games in 2015. Games, plural.

The only two guys I trust on this roster, game-in and game-out, are Sherman and Lane. Tye hasn't dressed, Seisay looked like our worst CB in preseason, and Simon is combustable.

The CB spots aren't as plug and play as we once thought, as Cary "Burn Notice" Williams and Tharold Simon (late 2014) proved. One bad cornerback has literally been the difference many times. Probably the difference between one ring and two. If Lane doesn't get hurt, we beat Tom and Bill.

I don't know if we have the money, but Okung, Lane and at least one DT are 1a, 1b and 1c in FA priority to me. Not sure anything else is that important.

Rob12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3eh4g71r said:
One bad cornerback (Cary) cost us games in 2015. Games, plural.

The only two guys I trust on this roster, game-in and game-out, are Sherman and Lane. Tye hasn't dressed, Seisay looked like our worst CB in preseason, and Simon is combustable.

The CB spots aren't as plug and play as we once thought, as Cary "Burn Notice" Williams and Tharold Simon (late 2014) proved. One bad cornerback has literally been the difference many times. Probably the difference between one ring and two. If Lane doesn't get hurt, we beat Tom and Bill.

I don't know if we have the money, but Okung, Lane and at least one DT are 1a, 1b and 1c in FA priority to me. Not sure anything else is that important.

You don't think scheme has much to do with the success of our CB's?

I mean, I get your general premise. But is paying Lane $6+ million a year really conducive moving forward? I guess I trust the coaches on this one. If Lane is a irreplaceable piece, he will be resigned. Cary Williams is a bit of a bad example because he's an outlier - this FO hasn't made a habit of whiffing on FA DB's before. I think a lesson was learned.

I hope a lesson was learned.

I don't want to lose Lane, but he's going to command a hefty price tag. I think, depending on the health of the current cost controlled DB's on the team, it would be wise to let him walk. We're not exactly in cap heaven, here.

Again, and I know I am repeating myself here, but I trust the coaches to "coach up" the secondary. Maxwell, for the most part, got torched in Philadelphia last season - which probably isn't all of his fault. We have some talented pieces and I think with the tutelage of Sherm and Earl, we have some young guys that can plug the gap.

McGruff

Reaction score
Lane will not cost 6 million. He will get somewhere between Thurmond (2.5 on a one year deal) and williams (under 6 per year on a 3 year deal). I think you are looking at 3 years and 12 million, give or take a year and a million either way.

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1x98lnwy said:
Lane will not cost 6 million. He will get somewhere between Thurmond (2.5 on a one year deal) and williams (under 6 per year on a 3 year deal). I think you are looking at 3 years and 12 million, give or take a year and a million either way.

If that's true I'd be tempted. Still though, once Pete got homegrown Seahawk corners on the field the last half of the year secondary wasn't the issue, pass rush was. A dynamic front four rotation is a bigger priority, IMO. I like the Seahawks DB depth right now, Lane or no.

McGruff

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1tdwoxq6 said:
2 Avril-types > Lane.

Uh yeah, obviously. But 2 Avril types are also going to cost 3-4 times as much as Lane, so what's the point?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
A possible positive is that Lane isn't listed in NFL.com's list of the 99 best FAs. Irvin, Okung, Kearse and even Shead did make it though. This could be an indication there isn't as much interest in Lane as initially expected and thus makes it a lot likelier we can retain him for an affordable price.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
McGruff":fqpsi7l4 said:
I would agree with this sentiment. I think looking to WTIII deal is a good indicator of what he may command. If he gets more it may be because the Jaguars have a ton of money to spend and grossly over pays, like they did with a certain TE last offseason.

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1attd08n said:
A possible positive is that Lane isn't listed in NFL.com's list of the 99 best FAs. Irvin, Okung, Kearse and even Shead did make it though. This could be an indication there isn't as much interest in Lane as initially expected and thus makes it a lot likelier we can retain him for an affordable price.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... le-players

Just noticed that too. 99 players and 9 CB's listed, including Shead, and Lane is not on the list.

sutz

Reaction score
Overseasfan":22kluumz said:
He missed a lot of time for injury. Perhaps we can sneak him in on a 1-2 year prove it deal, let him work on his value as a FA. I could live with that.

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkMeat":16yfugsn said:
McGruff":16yfugsn said:
I would agree with this sentiment. I think looking to WTIII deal is a good indicator of what he may command. If he gets more it may be because the Jaguars have a ton of money to spend and grossly over pays, like they did with a certain TE last offseason.

Jags, Raiders and maybe even 49ers have a salary floor to hit. They'll have no issues paying him outrageous dollars.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":2x97mmbt said:
HawkMeat":2x97mmbt said:
McGruff":2x97mmbt said:

Jags, Raiders and maybe even 49ers have a salary floor to hit. They'll have no issues paying him outrageous dollars.

There are at least 8-10 corner backs on the market that will be more sought after than Lane. Too many injury questions, too few starts.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Serious question, what is the worst team in the NFL that has a very good secondary?

I know there are plenty of teams in the NFL with tremendous pass rushers that are playoff contenders, even teams with good QBs (like the Raiders). As I mentioned earlier, the big missing piece for the Panthers was fixing the hole in their secondary.

Teams are starting to negate the pass rush by getting rid of the ball quicker. It isn't the run & shoot yet but teams are passing quicker, to negate the impact of a pass rush and to offset the lack of effective OL.

The Denver DL is one of the few teams that seems to buck this trend of great DL not really propelling the team forward and you could easily argue that Chris Harris and Talib were as important anyway.

The Jets have a tremendous line. I believe the Dolphins might too. (Watt I give a pass to, since he has no offense). And I might consider Mack to be one of the best defenders in the league, but as great at impact as they can have - the key to being a contender in the NFL appears to be a strong secondary.

So given that, it would seem foolish to let a member of the secondary go that we know can contribute.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":383apyfa said:
Serious question, what is the worst team in the NFL that has a very good secondary?

I know there are plenty of teams in the NFL with tremendous pass rushers that are playoff contenders, even teams with good QBs (like the Raiders). As I mentioned earlier, the big missing piece for the Panthers was fixing the hole in their secondary.

Teams are starting to negate the pass rush by getting rid of the ball quicker. It isn't the run & shoot yet but teams are passing quicker, to negate the impact of a pass rush and to offset the lack of effective OL.

The Denver DL is one of the few teams that seems to buck this trend of great DL not really propelling the team forward and you could easily argue that Chris Harris and Talib were as important anyway.

The Jets have a tremendous line. I believe the Dolphins might too. (Watt I give a pass to, since he has no offense). And I might consider Mack to be one of the best defenders in the league, but as great at impact as they can have - the key to being a contender in the NFL appears to be a strong secondary.

So given that, it would seem foolish to let a member of the secondary go that we know can contribute.

The issue with the secondary is that one bad player can screw up the entire unit. You're better off having 4 average players than 3 good and one bad, hence why Cary Williams had such a negative impact on our defense. Not resigning Lane wouldn't really impact us as much though as we have plenty of decent corners on the roster.