Jeremy Lane: 'I would love to go back to the Seahawks'

pehawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":12z6nif5 said:
Serious question, what is the worst team in the NFL that has a very good secondary?

I know there are plenty of teams in the NFL with tremendous pass rushers that are playoff contenders, even teams with good QBs (like the Raiders). As I mentioned earlier, the big missing piece for the Panthers was fixing the hole in their secondary.

Teams are starting to negate the pass rush by getting rid of the ball quicker. It isn't the run & shoot yet but teams are passing quicker, to negate the impact of a pass rush and to offset the lack of effective OL.

The Denver DL is one of the few teams that seems to buck this trend of great DL not really propelling the team forward and you could easily argue that Chris Harris and Talib were as important anyway.

The Jets have a tremendous line. I believe the Dolphins might too. (Watt I give a pass to, since he has no offense). And I might consider Mack to be one of the best defenders in the league, but as great at impact as they can have - the key to being a contender in the NFL appears to be a strong secondary.

So given that, it would seem foolish to let a member of the secondary go that we know can contribute.

Fair and great point

Largent80

Reaction score
It was proven this past year that simply plugging in player X and having the same success as in past seasons was an epic fail, and that is normal. We lucked out a few times, but we can't keep losing players brought up in the system for dudes with "potential".

A

Anonymous

McGruff":jdese7hl said:
HoustonHawk82":jdese7hl said:
2 Avril-types > Lane.

Uh yeah, obviously. But 2 Avril types are also going to cost 3-4 times as much as Lane, so what's the point?

My thoughts are that I'd love to keep Lane, but not at the expense that we may have to come up with to keep him. In the event things get tight, I'd rather see us shore-up the pass rush rotation and take our chances at that DB spot by adding a couple up-and-coming/rookie Avril/Bennett types.

It can be done.

McGruff

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1jjkd553 said:
McGruff":1jjkd553 said:
HoustonHawk82":1jjkd553 said:
2 Avril-types > Lane.

Uh yeah, obviously. But 2 Avril types are also going to cost 3-4 times as much as Lane, so what's the point?

My thoughts are that I'd love to keep Lane, but not at the expense that we may have to come up with to keep him. In the event things get tight, I'd rather see us shore-up the pass rush rotation and take our chances at that DB spot by adding a couple up-and-coming/rookie Avril/Bennett types.

It can be done.

Cb's are expensive, but pass rushers are even more expensive. No way you can get a couple of pass rushers for the same price as a mid-level corner.

RussB

Reaction score
Hes one of our best corners and he improves with every season. They should try as hard as they can to keep him. Good corners are hard to find.

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2bezh9q6 said:
HoustonHawk82":2bezh9q6 said:
McGruff":2bezh9q6 said:
HoustonHawk82":2bezh9q6 said:
2 Avril-types > Lane.

It can be done.

Cb's are expensive, but pass rushers are even more expensive. No way you can get a couple of pass rushers for the same price as a mid-level corner.

Not really true with this regime. Nerds like us realized signing Bennett in 2013 was a coup, but surprisingly the rest of the league didn't. Avril wasn't expensive originally either.

McGruff

Reaction score
That was a bonafied down year for DE signings. That was a once every 10 years FA haul. But look at the contracts they've signed since then, and even those are considered undervalued.

A

Anonymous

McGruff":rpvrp8cf said:
That was a bonafied down year for DE signings. That was a once every 10 years FA haul. But look at the contracts they've signed since then, and even those are considered undervalued.

I get you're skeptical, but do you extend any hope that we can do it again at DE, or do you really just wanna keep Lane outright?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
But who are the available pass rushers that could be had at a deep discount? If there's no one available this year, it doesn't matter -- players can be cut and traded every year. I doubt Lane is going to command significant guarantees, so it's not like you'd be hamstrung for future off-seasons. From what I recall, Seattle is set up pretty well from a flexibility standpoint starting next year and beyond anyway.

I agree with McGruff, the Avril/Bennett signing was an extreme exception, not something we can count on. It is the smartest thing John Schneider ever did besides pounding the table for Russell Wilson. It's not like we would expect him to draft a franchise quarterback every other year. That's how impactful (and uncommon) that duo signing was IMO.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
DavidSeven":n5j0aqsw said:
But who are the available pass rushers that could be had a deep discount? If there's no one available this year, it doesn't matter -- players can be cut and traded every year. I doubt Lane is going to command significant guarantees, so it's not like you'd be hamstrung for future off-seasons. From what I recall, Seattle is set up pretty well from a flexibility standpoint starting next year and beyond anyway.

I agree with McGruff, the Avril/Bennett signing was an extreme exception, not something we can count on. It is the smartest thing John Schneider ever did besides pounding the table for Russell Wilson. It's not like we would expect him to draft a franchise quarterback every other year. That's how impactful (and uncommon) that duo signing was IMO.
That's right!