Jets and Patriots come knocking for Lock?

toffee

Reaction score
Without Lock, we don't have a legit backup so this is probably a bad idea. But what would it take if these two teams called Schneider?

Mick063

Reaction score
Better be a king's ransom. Hell. I'm in favor of extending Lock at 25 million per year and that would be a bargain for his skill level. You need two quarterbacks nowadays. Bengals, Jets and Patriots are examples why. Seattle would keep on hummin if Geno went down. Those other team are train wrecks when their starter gets hurt or falls off a cliff.

sutz

Reaction score
Maybe wouldn't be surprising, but I think the team would not entertain the idea. At least not now.

OTOH, I guess anything is possible if the right offer came in. It would be a helluva gamble, though. I'm not one of those lamenting our lack of a 3d QB, but Lock is pretty close to off limits IMO.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
The only way I'd feel satisfied with trading Lock during the middle of the season is if we got straight up picks for him.

No one-year rentals that will go elsewhere after this season, no huge salary cap hits to absorb, etc. Just straight up picks, swaps of picks, or both. And when I say swaps of picks, a good example of that is our 2nd rounder for their 1st.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
We don't even have a QB on the practice squad. If Geno just gets a cramp for a series, we would have nobody. Last year we kept a vet on the PS.... I wish we had some sort of plan. If a team wanted to give a legit pick for Lock, I'd like us to at least be able to entertain the though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Drew Lock looked serviceable when he sub for Geno, and there aren't too many young backup with starting experience in the league right now.

LTH

Reaction score
Without Lock, we don't have a legit backup so this is probably a bad idea. But what would it take if these two teams called Schneider?
I don't see Lock going anywhere. The Hawks have a great back up that has the talent to be a really good starter and they are not breaking the bank to do it. There is absolutely NO reason to move him unless someone gave up something crazy..

LTH

morgulon1

Reaction score
I don't think there's a realistic scenario where this happens. Who knows how injured Geno Smith is.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I don't think the league opinion of Lock is as high as some of you think. There was no demand in the off-season for him.
You're right, at that time there wasn't but things have changed since then. Rodgers is injured, and Mac Jones is playing horribly. I'd say the demand went up since the off-season.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I think all of you are overrating Lock right now. This board has been weirdly enamored with him even when he was throwing picks.
While he wasn't great Monday night, he was pretty instrumental in the win. A decent backup with starting experience, in his second year of an offense is worth a lot more to that team than to others. So the price to get him mid-season would be inflated. Not necessarily as a reflection of how good he is in general, but how valuable he is to the team giving him up.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Lock would be crazy to consider going to Jets, but the Patriots might be a good longer term opportunity for him. Trouble with that is he would suffer in the short term as they just don't have much in the way of supporting cast.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's... something I'd consider. Would have to be for draft capital and maybe a Zappe or something to back up Geno.

The team has a huge, huge amount of very young dudes on the roster. Like 18 rookies or something? It FEELS to me like they're counting on a lot of young guys to fill out the roles to keep themselves free to make a big move in the draft (or a big move using draft capital for a vet trade).

If they trade up big in the draft, this'll be the year. They'll get an additional early third from Denver, and moving Lock now would convince me even more that they're gearing up for something.

See what you can get, but don't move Lock just for the hell of it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We are not shopping Lock, no no, it's case of those teams coming asking.
Oh, I'd definitely only be talking to teams who inquire first. Just see what you can squeeze out of them specifically.

chrispy

Reaction score
I don't see a realistic chance, but JS will keep his options open. If he were to jump on something, he'd get a backup QB in return or have someone he's comfortable with on their way. Lock is a FA at the end of the season so he might be open to a longterm contract. Additionally, if PC/JS have a plan in place, they would want a 1st or 2nd or 3rd because Drew could get a contract that results in a '25 3rd round comp pick.

Probs not, but never say never. Get value where you can.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
With the experience of even this last week, what kind of price could you put on Lock? We are competitive at the moment, and if a backup is needed, he will need to do what Lock did for us this past week--lead scoring drives.

If we let him go mid-season, where do we find a replacement-level player for less? I'm not saying there's no price that JS would consider, but his value may be higher than another team could reasonably pay and benefit us now.

He's not the next Joe Burrow or the like, but Lock knows our system and complements it well. How would we let him go, for any price right now?