Jim Zorn on what Brady Quinn gives the Seahawks

The Radish

Reaction score
Much conversation about Quinn posted here.

Got a PM asking that this post be opened up again so here it is.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
The QUINNtessential question on him is, "Can he actually be a good back-up quarterback and win you a couple of games if the starter goes down?" We'll see -- scratch that -- hopefully we don't have to see.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Sadly it seems you were right Les. I was hoping this thread could spark some discussion of the radio interview instead of the same crap the 10 page QB thread had devolved to. Seems I overestimated .NET.

OP
OP
gargantual

gargantual

Reaction score
Well, I'm happy anytime I get to see (or in this case, hear) Brother Jimmy. I'd really like to get him back as a coach. It seems like he's valuable as more than just a QB coach, although I like the direction Bevel is taking us and wouldn't want to mess up the Os continuity by replacing him.

Nothing against whoever is our current QB coach (too lazy to look it up now), whom I know nothing about really, but it'd be BEYOND awesome to see Jim Zorn return to our coaching staff in time to earn a ring as a Hawk! (Of course in my mind he already has one, but that horse has been beaten plenty enough I suppose...so I won't go there). I can see how he wowed over the front office and owner for the Racist-Skins. He really sounds confident in his shiznit :).

I WAS kinda hoping that this thread would spark some convo on our first franchise QB (I still say he could have been one of the greats, if he had a line and a team around him to match his caliber.....of course BEFORE his injury). It was also cool to hear his reaction to being asked how he stacked up to RW. Even his legendary modesty couldn't suppress the pride he has in his own abilities....even when said through the filter of jest.

Anyway, love to get him back....in any capacity really....

OP
OP
gargantual

gargantual

Reaction score
So what does everyone think of what Jim said about Russell's next steps this season? I'm looking forward to seeing him assume more responsibility for calling audibles and how that changes\improves how well he's protected. I'm looking forward to him not having to run for his life on every play. That's somewhat of an exaggeration, but it really felt like the line wasn't doing their job so well at times. Having a whole year under their belt cohesion-wise (between the Oline itself and between them and Russell) will be nice to see and I look forward to the improvement that will provide our passing game. I still think the pass-to-run ratio will slant towards more passing, especially when playing high octane offenses like New England and Green Bay. We'll see.

I also wonder what y'all think about what Jim said about Brady Quinn. Being the positive guy Jim is, it wasn't surprising to see him talk up Quinn's strengths (would've been shocked to hear him "throw him under the bus" or anything like that obviously). I wonder if Pete and his staff will be able to minimize the risks that derive from his accuracy issues. That being such an obsession of Pete's (turnovers) I'm starting to think that Pete and his coaches saw there was at least a chance they could work on that or else work around that limitation.

Another thought I had about the Quinn acquisition. I was expecting them to pick up Thigpen or Seneca Wallace to have someone to more closely mirror RWs skillset, but maybe there's some value to having a backup come in who's changes the flavor of the offense and ends up catching the other team off guard (like what happened to us last year in the Arizona season opener)? I was curious what others thought about Jim's take on all that. Is it putting lipstick on a pig or do you think there's something to what he said?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
gargantual":1nse45oi said:
I also wonder what y'all think about what Jim said about Brady Quinn. Being the positive guy Jim is, it wasn't surprising to see him talk up Quinn's strengths (would've been shocked to hear him "throw him under the bus" or anything like that obviously).

What Jim said seems to match up exactly with what Phil Simms said about Quinn on Brock's show the other day and what QB coach Carl Smith said about him on Seahawks.com. All three seem to be high on his work ethic and what he does in practice. Simms actually said Quinn was probably the best choice of the four prospective QBs before Quinn was even signed.

I have no expectation that Quinn will ever develop into a great game-day QB, but I think a smart and hard working guy in the QB room with Wilson and potentially another rookie is valuable in itself. I love Seneca, but there was a story a couple years ago that he refused to mentor Colt McCoy in the WCO because he wanted the starting job himself. Doubt that will be an issue with Quinn who all these guys describe as an ultimate pro. I think the QB room dynamic, while not hugely important, is still something worth considering.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ulfbh6u said:
What Jim said seems to match up exactly with what Phil Simms said about Quinn on Brock's show the other day and what QB coach Carl Smith said about him on Seahawks.com. All three seem to be high on his work ethic and what he does in practice. Simms actually said Quinn was probably the best choice of the four prospective QBs before Quinn was even signed.

I have no expectation that Quinn will ever develop into a great game-day QB, but I think a smart and hard working guy in the QB room with Wilson and potentially another rookie is valuable in itself. I love Seneca, but there was a story a couple years ago that he refused to mentor Colt McCoy in the WCO because he wanted the starting job himself. Doubt that will be an issue with Quinn who all these guys describe as an ultimate pro. I think the QB room dynamic, while not hugely important, is still something worth considering.

My thoughts exactly. I think Quinn and Wilson will be a good influence on one another, and if I remember right Portis is pretty good when it comes to the work ethic as well. Having three hard working QB's on the roster is never a bad thing. Who knows, maybe they can even learn something from each other. Quinn is not so old that he can't learn new tricks, and Russell Will be a good mentor for him as much as he can be a good mentor for Russell. I would much rather see this situation than last years situation with a disgruntled Flynn.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
JesterHawk":yifcp2v3 said:
Sadly it seems you were right Les. I was hoping this thread could spark some discussion of the radio interview instead of the same crap the 10 page QB thread had devolved to. Seems I overestimated .NET.

No, I'll give you some constructive discussion actually. Honestly, I'm thinking that this move could be a very good thing for Seattle potentially. It sounds like he's as much of a workaholic and film study geek as Russell Wilson. That's an incredibly good thing. It doesn't sound like Wilson basically got any semblance of help in his preparation for games week in/week out from Matt Flynn -- so this is a huge upgrade in that sense. Having another veteran pair of eyes who can help diagnose what's going on/game plan (from a guy who has actually played the position) I believe can have big dividends -- i.e. the way that Trent Dilfer helped Matt Hasselbeck. If Quinn never sees the field at all ... and that's all he's ever really paid for ... I believe that it could be money very well spent.

OP
OP
gargantual

gargantual

Reaction score
Good points DavidSeven and Bakergirl, along the same lines I was thinking, but still seems like looking extra hard to find positives amongst a whole lot of questionables :) (the lipstick/pig thingy). Sure would be nice if we managed to get Matt Scott, but that seems like a gigantic longshot. Not expecting that to happen.

Well, hopefully we'll never have to see how the backup plays in a real game....whoever that ends up being.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
From the radio chat it seems that his big plus is he will more of a teammate vs a direct competitor to be the starter. Someone to add input on tape, meetings etc. they kept talking about how smart he was and he was very good at changing plays at the line and seam routes.

Latest posts