"Jimmy bashing" from PFT

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lipha8v said:
Florio is bashing the analysts saying that Jimmy Graham isn't a good teammate because the team is asking him to be what he isn't - a blocking TE.

How is this different than what any of us have been saying from day 1?

Because reading is hard for some people here apparently

kf3339

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":o58zs60o said:
Florio is bashing the analysts saying that Jimmy Graham isn't a good teammate because the team is asking him to be what he isn't - a blocking TE.

How is this different than what any of us have been saying from day 1?

To me the problem isn't Jimmy Graham the teammate. The problem is as stated the fit and has been since the trade. He isn't a blocking TE and "NEVER" should have been brought in for that role. There are plenty of blocking TE's in this league that can be had for far less than we paid. You can even find them in the mid to late rounds of the draft.

We should only have traded for him to fit as a receiving "ONLY" TE or as a large target WR. That's it.

In addition, that trade should have also happened at the same time as a change in OC with someone who knows how to properly scheme for that type of weapon. Bevell is not that guy at all.

So again PC and JS so far screwed up another trade for an offensive piece they don't know how to use.

justafan

Reaction score
I will never understand the opinion that you dont ask jimmy to block.

Coaches are here to make players better than they were when they got here.If he wants to be a better player and teamate he learns to block and do the things that it takes to help be a better offense, a better running team and win SBs.He will get his targets.

Wrs and TEs can make a 6 yard run into a 30 yrd run if they buy in and block.This whole thought process of you never ask Jimmy to put out effort to block or to learn is so wrong it makes no sense whatsoever.
It flys in the face about what makes a great TEAM or team mate.

I have more respect for Bevel now than I did before the trade.I love his stance that he will use him as a TE and he will have to block and be a decoy at times.Jimmy needs the Hawks to get a ring, the Hawks dont need him.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
gonzhawk":33u58ntf said:
Its almost comical how florio has a full scale assault on this team since we started winning
He is the author of 99% of the negative articles
What is his agenda?

He does it w/ every team. It just his schtick.

hawk45

Reaction score
justafan":1d2zix0r said:
I have more respect for Bevel now than I did before the trade.I love his stance that he will use him as a TE and he will have to block and be a decoy at times.Jimmy needs the Hawks to get a ring, the Hawks dont need him.

And we have a 2nd high priced offensive weapon that lies in the trash bin because we somehow failed to understand what that player was despite mountains of evidence that existed before acquiring him at great cause.

Hooray?

ivotuk

Reaction score
justafan":2dhpeeup said:
I rarely go to pft or read the guys stuff so i wont say anything on that.But the men who played the game are all saying the same thing about Jimmy.

We loved it when Bennett and Irvin called him out because everyone hated the guy here.We even laughed it up when the clip of him practically running the wrong way to avoid Kam was posted here.

Everyone wants to blame Bevel for not getting him the ball.Hopefully we will run the ball 20 to 30 times and throw about the same so out of 60 plays I am sure he was the primary at least 10 times,but thats just a guess.
Either way he will have to put out the effort on the other 30 or 40 where he isnt the primary target and if they ask him to block he better give his all or the palyers will be in his face I am sure.

Most fans would trade Bevel for Payton in a heartbeat.I agree he is better OC than Bevel.But I believe Brees and offensive staff made Jimmy a star.They "knew how to use him" and Brees is one of the best of his time.

But Payton was the guy that traded Jimmy because he thought they could become a more competitive team down the road without him.He chose OL and building a D over Jimmy.

IMO we picked him up to be a piece of the puzzle not the whole offense.But he needs to play his role and blocking is part of it regardless where he lines up.

This is all anyone needs to know about Jimmy. He's not a good blocker, but he has had some good blocks, as well as some really bad ones. But he's learning.

People need to be patient. The first thing that has to happen is for this offensive line to come together. Until they do, we can't make any judgement on Jimmy Graham, Darrell Bevell, or Tomas Rawls (although I'm a huge Rawls fan).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
justafan":nna9k4u4 said:
I rarely go to pft or read the guys stuff so i wont say anything on that.But the men who played the game are all saying the same thing about Jimmy.

We loved it when Bennett and Irvin called him out because everyone hated the guy here.We even laughed it up when the clip of him practically running the wrong way to avoid Kam was posted here.

Everyone wants to blame Bevel for not getting him the ball.Hopefully we will run the ball 20 to 30 times and throw about the same so out of 60 plays I am sure he was the primary at least 10 times,but thats just a guess.
Either way he will have to put out the effort on the other 30 or 40 where he isnt the primary target and if they ask him to block he better give his all or the palyers will be in his face I am sure.

Most fans would trade Bevel for Payton in a heartbeat.I agree he is better OC than Bevel.But I believe Brees and offensive staff made Jimmy a star.They "knew how to use him" and Brees is one of the best of his time.

But Payton was the guy that traded Jimmy because he thought they could become a more competitive team down the road without him.He chose OL and building a D over Jimmy.

IMO we picked him up to be a piece of the puzzle not the whole offense.But he needs to play his role and blocking is part of it regardless where he lines up.

Or maybe a team should use a player to his strengths and maximize what he brings to the table...

This is Percy Harvin all over again, minus the punching of ADB in the face. Bevell doesn't know how to use the weapons he is being given and it is concerning. Do you think Josh McDaniels wants to leave Gronk in to block?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Plenty of people want to do what they can’t do, and their employers are smart enough to not ask them to do those things. Taking a square peg like Graham and trying to jam him into the round hole of Seattle’s vision of a complete tight end makes no sense, and it’s unfair to Graham for guys like Dilfer, Lewis, and Woodson to blame Graham for the team’s decision to trade for a player who has one specific skill set and then asking him to do things that fall beyond it.

Maybe he can rush the passer, too. Cover receivers. Kick extra points. If being a “teammate” in the eyes of Darren Woodson requires embracing everything about football, maybe Graham also should play some quarterback. (At least he’d be able to see over the team’s makeshift offensive line.)

Graham is who he is. The Seahawks knew who he is. They now want him to be who he isn’t. And no one is criticizing the Seahawks for that, for failing to get the ball in his hands, and for trading for him in the first place.

Surely, they didn’t give up a first-round pick and $27 million over three years for a blocking tight end. They made that investment for a weapon in the passing game. And he’s quickly becoming the latest high-priced weapon in the passing game that the Seahawks can’t figure out how to properly use.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

(Can't wait for Sunday where there are 100 threads in the Gameday forum screaming for Bevell's head on a stick and asking why Jimmy isn't getting the ball and basically saying the same damn thing Florio was in this column)

mrt144

Reaction score
justafan":1s4bp4tx said:

Coaches are here to make players better than they were when they got here.If he wants to be a better player and teamate he learns to block and do the things that it takes to help be a better offense, a better running team and win SBs.He will get his targets.

Wrs and TEs can make a 6 yard run into a 30 yrd run if they buy in and block.This whole thought process of you never ask Jimmy to put out effort to block or to learn is so wrong it makes no sense whatsoever.

There's so much to pick apart here but:

It's about using the personnel you have in the best way possible and as much as we want Jimmy to be the complete TE package - consistently asking him to do something he's not even good at is a waste of a play.

This isn't an all or nothing proposition which you seem to be making though, JFG can throw blocks and has - it's the type of blocking he's asked to do that just isn't meshing.

He needs to block, but he shouldnt be tasked with throwing key blocks on plays based on his talent as a blocker. At some point you blame a manager for mis using talent, not the talent for not being good enough at something.

justafan

Reaction score
hawk45":3pxrp6r6 said:
justafan":3pxrp6r6 said:

And we have a 2nd high priced offensive weapon that lies in the trash bin because we somehow failed to understand what that player was despite mountains of evidence that existed before acquiring him at great cause.

Hooray?

You kind of cherry picked the post but OK.
He will only go to the trash bin if he chooses.He has the choice to buy in and become a better football player or not

Harvin had that option and stayed Harvin.Now Harvin might catch more balls but he wont be doing t in the SB

justafan

Reaction score
mrt144":qk9xxfwl said:
justafan":qk9xxfwl said:

There's so much to pick apart here but:

It's about using the personnel you have in the best way possible and as much as we want Jimmy to be the complete TE package - consistently asking him to do something he's not even good at is a waste of a play.

This isn't an all or nothing proposition which you seem to be making though, JFG can throw blocks and has - it's the type of blocking he's asked to do that just isn't meshing.

He needs to block, but he shouldnt be tasked with throwing key blocks on plays based on his talent as a blocker. At some point you blame a manager for mis using talent, not the talent for not being good enough at something.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing.But to be sure what we are disagreeing about.I responded to a post about he should NEVER be asked to block.IMO he should be asked to block on almost every running play period.Any block could end up being key on any play.
If Jimmy is a finished product then it was a bad pick up.I think he will be a better blocker and team mate when they are done with him.The fantasy points will be lower but the hawks will be a better team and he will be a better football player when he does get it.

kf3339

Reaction score
justafan":21i1nr0l said:
hawk45":21i1nr0l said:
justafan":21i1nr0l said:

Hooray?

You kind of cherry picked the post but OK.
He will only go to the trash bin if he chooses.He has the choice to buy in and become a better football player or not

Harvin had that option and stayed Harvin.Now Harvin might catch more balls but he wont be doing t in the SB

The way our offense is going right now, Graham won't be doing it in the SB either. :roll:

justafan

Reaction score
Harvin could have played in a 2nd and may have even made the difference if he bought in.We may never have been there if we kept him.
No guarantees but the team has a better chance with the system that has already worked twice than to change philosophy of always compete for 1 player.
If he doesnt compete to become a better player for this team and buy in I dont think we do go back this year.If the blocking of everyone doesnt get better it may not matter how many balls Jimmy catches.

Cartire

Reaction score
I like how everyone is thinking Jimmy is a bust here when hes already on pace to beat out our leading WR last year on catches and TD's. I hate to say it to everyone who thinks Jimmy is pointless, but he is our offense right now.

kf3339

Reaction score
justafan":1mg5d6bs said:
Harvin could have played in a 2nd and may have even made the difference if he bought in.We may never have been there if we kept him.
No guarantees but the team has a better chance with the system that has already worked twice than to change philosophy of always compete for 1 player.
If he doesnt compete to become a better player for this team and buy in I dont think we do go back this year.If the blocking of everyone doesnt get better it may not matter how many balls Jimmy catches.

If sticking with the "system" as you say is the best chance, then you don't damage your O-Line by trading the leader of that line away. You also don't bring in a known liability at blocking and expect him to just buy in when his history has been anything but that perception. You only make this move because you plan to change the "system" to fit the skill set of that new player.

The very fact that they are not doing this tells me that they still don't get it. Perhaps PC is starting to see a bad pattern, but he doesn't have the OC or O-line to adjust enough to change it.

I don't foresee much good with this season right now unless something serious changes with our offense. Since that is not PC's personality I see very little chance we make it back to another SB this year.

Just my honest opinion. :(

kf3339

Reaction score
Cartire":2d5c0yie said:
I like how everyone is thinking Jimmy is a bust here when hes already on pace to beat out our leading WR last year on catches and TD's. I hate to say it to everyone who thinks Jimmy is pointless, but he is our offense right now.

I don't think anyone is saying he is a bust. Just that he is being asked to be something that he isn't no matter how anyone wishes it to be different.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":262m8sav said:
Reading Florio is like reading the National Enquirer. I don't.

EXACTLY! ^ ^ Having read his CRAP before, I didn't an won't waste my time reading a negatively opinionated article by that joker again.

justafan

Reaction score
He isnt a bust and I didnt say that,but i know he isnt our offense.
He had 4 catches for 29 yrds.Nothing wrong with that but right now Wilson is our offense and if Jimmy didnt catch those 4 passes someone else would have.

I hope he does lead the team in catches,but more importantly I hope he buys in and becomes an even a better all around player than he is now.I think he will.

There will be games he is the hot hand and some he isnt and if they score 13 and win im ok with that.I think come playoff time the whole offense will be better and yes jimmy wil be a better blocker and we have a chance to get back.

mrt144

Reaction score
kf3339":2aafw5y7 said:
Cartire":2aafw5y7 said:

I don't think anyone is saying he is a bust. Just that he is being asked to be something that he isn't no matter how anyone wishes it to be different.

Yup. Maybe the blocking thing will improve over time as he gets more and more snaps doing it but as is, don't have him provide integral blocks at this point in time - he's not proficient enough to do that and there are people who get paid to block who are doing an equally bad job of it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":3mvvq00m said:

It's ridiculous to call him a bust at this point, but it's just as ridiculous to say he is the offense.