Jimmy Graham had a good game

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Joyodongo":jxnp4k9t said:
Seahwkgal":jxnp4k9t said:
I would rather have the cap space for above average O Lineman. Now our QB has two injuries to overcome. Graham is kinda pointless without Russ in the mix. Sigh.
:ditto:

you guys act like A- it is super easy to build a great line and B- that magically that would prevent injuries.

Russ has never missed a game.... how is romo doing behind the BEST line in the world? both of his injuries are ON HIM not getting rid of the ball sooner....

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1pz3f8kp said:
I would rather have the cap space for above average O Lineman. Now our QB has two injuries to overcome. Graham is kinda pointless without Russ in the mix. Sigh.

And Russ is to blame for the second injury. Should have thrown that ball away long before the hit from Harold.

chet380

Reaction score
As the announcers noted, JG seemed relieved that he could take that hit to his lower legs and he certainly seemed to be energized after it -- fingers crossed that he stay healthy.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think you must be confused. What I took from the posts I read was that there was not much point in keeping him around just for his blocking skills. I'm pretty sure everyone wanted to see him used as a pass catcher.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1xvkprdc said:
Joyodongo":1xvkprdc said:
Seahwkgal":1xvkprdc said:

you guys act like A- it is super easy to build a great line and B- that magically that would prevent injuries.

Russ has never missed a game.... how is romo doing behind the BEST line in the world? both of his injuries are ON HIM not getting rid of the ball sooner....

He hasn't missed a game because he's incredibly tough.The two injuries are on him, I agree with that. Anyway, I still say I'd rather have a better OLine with that 10 M$. Not always, but normally, you get what you pay for. I think I heard that in 2013 Seahawk's OL was the most expensive in the league. 2013, 2013.... ah yeah, the SB year ! RW was getting only 600 grand, I know, but you have to pay him now and I don't say we shouldn't, I say I prefer to pay a better OLine than a TE.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Joyodongo":3vxglccq said:
Ambrose83":3vxglccq said:
Joyodongo":3vxglccq said:
Seahwkgal":3vxglccq said:

He hasn't missed a game because he's incredibly tough.The two injuries are on him, I agree with that. Anyway, I still say I'd rather have a better OLine with that 10 M$. Not always, but normally, you get what you pay for. I think I heard that in 2013 Seahawk's OL was the most expensive in the league. 2013, 2013.... ah yeah, the SB year ! RW was getting only 600 grand, I know, but you have to pay him now and I don't say we shouldn't, I say I prefer to pay a better OLine than a TE.

The 2013 OL really wasn't all that great. The first half of that season looked repeatedly like all-out jail breaks with one miraculous escape and completion after another by Russ. I really felt Russell would finish the season on IR that year. Unger came back, and they had an uptick in targeting the blocks properly, but the OL still wasn't as good as the revisionists like to think.

I will say the LT spot this year is definitely worse; however, play across the OL as whole is noticeably further along than it was in the first half of 2013. Bring Ifedi back into the mix and we will see further improvement. We won't be able to completely fix the play at LT until a replacement is found, most likely in the draft. Sowell will never be Okung but he's flashed some good stuff, so I'm reasonably sure his play, as a whole, will improve as he becomes more consistent within our ZBS.

justafan

Reaction score
Yes i would take a 10 million dollar LT or DT for him every day of the week.People act like he never was used last year and that just isnt true.What is ttue is TEs that are poor blockers or dont have the desire to learn are overated.

That being said its great he came back from that injury.

Hawks46

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1izagfny said:
I think you must be confused. What I took from the posts I read was that there was not much point in keeping him around just for his blocking skills. I'm pretty sure everyone wanted to see him used as a pass catcher.

There were a few run plays today where Graham blew his guy to the outside. Graham's problem in blocking is when he's asked to block a physically larger DE where he needs to be technically very good. He's not great at technique as he's been very rarely asked to block in NO and only had one year of college football. He'll get better at it.

Also, on 3 of Graham's 6 catches today, he was lined up with his hand in the dirt. On two of them, he either chipped a Lber on the way out, or acted like he was going to chip the LBer, which caused the LBer to step up and fill a run lane instead of following Graham immediately. This is what makes a well rounded TE such a weapon; the threat of run block or pass, and many times players don't know which one to expect.

I'm just happy he seems to have totally recovered from his injury. His speed seemed to still be there. He may never be the best blocking TE due to his height, but he can still be effective and become a better, more well rounded TE. Which is what we need.

Seymour

Reaction score
This was the best news to come out of this game IMO, and for a couple of reasons. Jimmy is back, and he was being used and targeted properly. The TD and jump balls were highlights of the game, and for all the hard work he put in to get back this was awesome to see in front of the home crowd.
And....according to some, this is the first comeback ever in the history of mankind for that type of injury. :roll:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He was on pace for 880 yards last year.

He had 889 yards in 2014 with the Saints.

This isn't new. He's just getting healthy.

xgeoff

Reaction score
What I like about this was that Graham was 'organinically' part of the offense. What I mean is that it didn't look like Bevell was calling specific plays for Graham. Last year it appeared that there were a lot of 3 yd out routes specifically to get Graham the ball, which I thought was idiotic and typically resulted in a 3 yd gain and Graham getting hammered for it.

In this game it looked like Graham ran more stick routes or routes over the middle where he could utilize his size, hands and jumping ability. This, to me, makes so much more sense and leads to Russell going through his progressions and finding Graham when he's open.

I thought this was readily apparent on Graham's TD pass:

1. Graham was not the primary receiver, as he was open quite early
2. His route was right over the middle
3. Russ found him as he worked through his progressions and rolled out of the pocket
4. The pass was way high but Graham went up and got it

Just exactly what I wanted from this guy when we got him.
--Be an opportunistic target for Russ over the middle.
--Use his size to get balls that other receivers or DB's can't get

I am so happy that Bevell has put Graham in better spots to make plays, at least in the Niners game. I didn't notice how he was used in the Rams game, so no comment there.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Graham was on with Clayton just now and made it clear that while he's happy to be finally contributing he is still working hard at recuperating, is not yet at full strength.

justafan

Reaction score
xgeoff":xdmvgckz said:
What I like about this was that Graham was 'organinically' part of the offense. What I mean is that it didn't look like Bevell was calling specific plays for Graham. Last year it appeared that there were a lot of 3 yd out routes specifically to get Graham the ball, which I thought was idiotic and typically resulted in a 3 yd gain and Graham getting hammered for it.

In this game it looked like Graham ran more stick routes or routes over the middle where he could utilize his size, hands and jumping ability. This, to me, makes so much more sense and leads to Russell going through his progressions and finding Graham when he's open.

3. Russ found him as he worked through his progressions and rolled out of the pocket

I am so happy that Bevell has put Graham in better spots to make plays, at least in the Niners game. I didn't notice how he was used in the Rams game, so no comment there.

I guess im not understanding your point.Graham averaged above his career average in yards per catch last year.

You say Bevell put in him in a position to succeed by not making him the primary, but if he isnt the primary its all on Wilsons shoulders for not getting him the ball . I do believe its Wilsons responsibility period to get him involved, either by audible or by making the correct read.

If Bevell designs plays to target Graham,which he should, its not organic and putting Graham in position to fail which isnt true. If he doesnt get the ball enough people go overboard to say Bevell isnt designing plays for Graham which also isnt true. Its just a no win situation for Bevell. At the end of the day its Wilson who has the last word on where the ball goes.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Made some tough catches, and took some strong hits. I was impressed. Would like to see more.

xgeoff

Reaction score
justafan":2bxxfnp9 said:
xgeoff":2bxxfnp9 said:

I guess im not understanding your point.Graham averaged above his career average in yards per catch last year.

You say Bevell put in him in a position to succeed by not making him the primary, but if he isnt the primary its all on Wilsons shoulders for not getting him the ball . I do believe its Wilsons responsibility period to get him involved, either by audible or by making the correct read.

If Bevell designs plays to target Graham,which he should, its not organic and putting Graham in position to fail which isnt true. If he doesnt get the ball enough people go overboard to say Bevell isnt designing plays for Graham which also isnt true. Its just a no win situation for Bevell. At the end of the day its Wilson who has the last word on where the ball goes.

Here is what I am saying:

Last year, Graham had good stats. But you have to look past the stats. In many ways, the offense was funky when Graham was in, because the offense tried to force feed the ball to him. I WANT it to be on Wilson's shoulders to go through his progressions. And sometimes Jimmy can be the primary, and sometimes not. The thing is, last year *at times* it was too predictable that they were trying to force feed him. The defenses keyed on it.

I'm just giving Bevell props for utilizing Graham in a way that is going to allow Graham to fulfill the promise of being the weapon that we all want him to be.

Largent80

Reaction score
I really like his enthusiasm as well, taking responsibility for the fumble was as awesome as a team mate can be.

Latest posts