Joe Buck

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24174ts9 said:
Rat":24174ts9 said:
Sgt. Largent":24174ts9 said:
Aikman's such a zero milk toast personality, it's hard to get fired up either way about him.

But obviously there's an NFL rule that we must have at least three boring ex Cowboys commentating games at one time. At least the league saved us from Witten and talked him into playing again. He's brutal.

Not a Romo fan, or are you referring to Johnston?

I liked Romo at first, but he hasn't figured out that sometimes he just needs to shut up and let the game breath a little, and not spend the entire game guessing the next play.

Johnston's boring as hell, so yes I'm more talking about him, Witten and Aikman.............you know, cause that's what the other 31 team's fans love, more Cowboys. Like that team isn't shoved down our throat enough on all the sports networks.

Yeah, it's a little much. I don't have strong feelings one way or another on Johnston, but you're definitely right about Witten: that guy was a disaster. I can't remember any analyst who seemed so uncomfortable behind a mic. Maybe the experience will make him better in his next gig, but this just seems like it isn't his thing. I can't imagine MNF would have kept him had he not unretired from football.

I think Romo is awesome. The only other ex-Cowboy personality I like is Irvin, but that's more strictly from an entertainment perspective; I don't necessary respect his intelligence. More than Emmitt, but Emmitt set the bar at an all-time low.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Joe Buck is alright but he doesn't play well off Aikman. Akman s just too full of himself and often wrong about his assertions no matter who's playing. Joe Buck is a decent play by play guy when Troy let's him talk. I get so annoyed at Aikman as he blathers about an irrelevant point as the teams are setting up the next formation .

If we have t have an ex-football player it would be great if they chose someone with charisma. Nate Burleson, Michael Strahan, or Shannon Sharp would be a Vat improvement over Aikman . I miss announcers like Curt Gowdy, Keith Jackson and even Howard Cosell that knew how to add drama to the action without boring us with misinformed opinion.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2ufs837f said:
Rat":2ufs837f said:
Did anyone else hear Aikman say that Goff is unfazed by pressure? I thought he said that, but he couldn't have...

No, but before the play before the final field goal attempt he said they should give it to Gurley since Goff was playing with fire on a couple of throws. Buck said they probably won’t do that because they don’t have any timeouts left or something along those lines. It was pretty funny.

I was shaking my head at that Aikman quote too. It's like, really, Troy, WOW, do you NOT REALIZE the Rams have no timeouts, can't stop the clock, and a run here would probably end the game?

Maybe Aikman is dyslexic and switched the Rams and Seahawks timeouts. That's about all I can figure. I try to give Aikman a chance, but he is just so boring, egotistical, and generally useless that he's used up all his chances. What we need now is a smart TV that can recognize and block specific voices, to simply erase Aikman from the broadcast.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2wlln44j said:
Never have been a fan of Buck. In his 20s with very little experience he was given not only the #1 Fox baseball play by play role but the NFL role as well likely because he's the son of Jack Buck. And he is nowhere near in the same league of his father or any of the classic broadcasters.

His voice is often dull in a monotone with little inflection or energy and I've personally thought one of the reasons World Series and playoff baseball viewership has declined is because of his boring voice. In shots of the booth at baseball games, I've seen him calling games reclined way back in his chair with his hands behind his head--how much energy could one have when they're in that position??

Personally, I find it annoying how Fox lets this guy do both football and baseball.

I never hear him when I watch baseball, but I imagine it's something along the lines of "home run, no flags!"

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":kdq3b3qu said:
West TX Hawk":kdq3b3qu said:
Never have been a fan of Buck. In his 20s with very little experience he was given not only the #1 Fox baseball play by play role but the NFL role as well likely because he's the son of Jack Buck. And he is nowhere near in the same league of his father or any of the classic broadcasters.

His voice is often dull in a monotone with little inflection or energy and I've personally thought one of the reasons World Series and playoff baseball viewership has declined is because of his boring voice. In shots of the booth at baseball games, I've seen him calling games reclined way back in his chair with his hands behind his head--how much energy could one have when they're in that position??

Personally, I find it annoying how Fox lets this guy do both football and baseball.

I never hear him when I watch baseball, but I imagine it's something along the lines of "home run, no flags!"

You think that's bad, if I'm not mistaken, I think he gets a piece of the PGA tour now that fox has some tournaments. Talk about square peg, round hole!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I do love Joe Buck's habit of announcing "blitz" when the defense rushes four.

Then people rush on here and tell me that an announcer's word is gold and I should just shut up because they've been either watching or playing the game for longer than I.

Fade

Reaction score
The #2 team Kevin Burkhardt & John Lynch were amazing, and should have been moved to #1.

I think he is now paired with Charles Davis, and he is pretty good too.

Joe Buck has gotten better over the years. Aikman has gone the other way. When he first got into the booth he was pretty good. He has only gotten worse as the years go by. Aikman should've been replaced three years ago. He brings nothing to the table.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I have always enjoyed Joe Buck's commentary during our games. I like Aikman as well, but you're all right when you say he has fallen off bigtime.

There is just something so beautifully awesome about Buck's knuckledragging, single word commentary.

"Wilson."
"ENDZONE."
"TOUCHDOOOOOOOOWN!!!"

Don't you ever change, Joe Buck.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I just don't get all the hate for Buck...To me his voice is synonymous with NFL primetime games on FOX. Aikman doesn't do anything for me either way, just general apathy for him. Normally I get easily butthurt when I feel any perceived disrespect from the national media when it comes to my beloved Hawks, but those two aren't on my radar.

chris98251

Reaction score
They are the Corporate Broadcaster team, whom ever is ahead or has a story line going they pump up that side or player some how.

How Disney likes them.

Insight and exciting sounds of the game is local broadcasters now.

Even then they can't be too critical of our team.

Why I like to hear Wyman post game and at the half, pretty much calls it they way it is.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":rr2bzx2e said:
.........There is just something so beautifully awesome about Buck's knuckledragging, single word commentary.

"Wilson."
"ENDZONE."
"TOUCHDOOOOOOOOWN!!!"...........

For those of you who don't know, that is classic Ray Scott who called a lot of Packers games in the 60s......

"Starr...
Dowler...
Touchdown!"

Dowler was Boyd Dowler a WR for the championship Pack teams of that era. And yes, I know I'm old

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Joe Buck is better at baseball. I don’t mind Aikman. He bashes Seattle every now and then and while agree you need to be unbiased at calling games, sometimes it’s good to hear.

He also bashed the Cowboys as well.

Sometimes you need to hear the negatives to grow thicker skin.