Joe Thomas

rjdriver

Reaction score
Joe will go to the Patriots for like a conditional fourth rounder.

I'm dead serious. It's black magic but it will happen. We will wake up soon and Joe Thomas will be a Patriot and it won't even phase me. We will offer a 2nd a 3rd and a fourth in 2017, and the Browns will still trade him to the Patriots for a bag of milk bones.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
rjdriver":1r8qp3fg said:
Joe will go to the Patriots for like a conditional fourth rounder.

I'm dead serious. It's black magic but it will happen. We will wake up soon and Joe Thomas will be a Patriot and it won't even phase me. We will offer a 2nd a 3rd and a fourth in 2017, and the Browns will still trade him to the Patriots for a bag of milk bones.

Nonsense. Besides do the Patriots even need a tackle? lol. One can only hope Thomas will be in Seattle by Tuesday.

Rob12

Reaction score
Apparently Jville hates Joe Thomas, or hates fans that talk about making a positional group better.

Maybe getting Thomas isn't feasible but I do believe he could fit in the cap with his prorated remaining salary for the year. It would be a colossal upgrade.

#ravingonforJville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Trading for Thomas would be a short sighted move from our FO. He is 31 years old, which suggest that he has maybe three years left of productivity, until he becomes a pedestrian LT. Thomas would also have to learn our blocking system on the fly, and would take some time to get up to speed. A second round pick is quite the premium to pay for a player, especially since much of our O-Line woes could be attributed to playcalling in my opinion.

The Seahawks are calling some strange plays given the circumstances surrounding our team.

Fade

Reaction score
Joe Thomas is extremely affordable, and cheap compared to what it would cost to get a Franchise LT on the open market, or trading a boatload of picks to move up in the draft, to get a young LT.

2016 - $4.2M

2017 - 2nd Rd Pick & $10M

2018 - $10M

That is cheap. Mediocre LTs hitting the market in the next couple of years are going to go for $15M plus.

The current D has about 3 yrs left, then it will have to be rebuilt. In 2019 Sherm & Kam will be 32, Mike B will be 35, Cliff Avril will be 34. KJ will be 31 etc, etc.

More so than worrying about the future. LT is extremely hard to find, they don't grow on trees. So when one becomes available for a reasonable price, you go get it.

It would be a huge coo for Seattle. Flipping their worst starting player into one of the best at his position.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":hz8ygwcf said:
Trading for Thomas would be a short sighted move from our FO. He is 31 years old, which suggest that he has maybe three years left of productivity, until he becomes a pedestrian LT. Thomas would also have to learn our blocking system on the fly, and would take some time to get up to speed. A second round pick is quite the premium to pay for a player, especially since much of our O-Line woes could be attributed to playcalling in my opinion.

The Seahawks are calling some strange plays given the circumstances surrounding our team.
Of course it would be short sighted.

However sometimes when you have a year in a championship window that is being held back by a major hole or two you have to be short sighted. He's a veteran all pro, he'll learn our system. And even if he doesn't, he still would be miles better than Sowell and fant

justafan

Reaction score
They were talking about Thomas on nfl network and were saying a 2nd rounder would get it done.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":1pc8ld5t said:
Joe Thomas is extremely affordable, and cheap compared to what it would cost to get a Franchise LT on the open market, or trading a boatload of picks to move up in the draft, to get a young LT.

2016 - $4.2M

2017 - 2nd Rd Pick & $10M

2018 - $10M

That is cheap. Mediocre LTs hitting the market in the next couple of years are going to go for $15M plus.

The current D has about 3 yrs left, then it will have to be rebuilt. In 2019 Sherm & Kam will be 32, Mike B will be 35, Cliff Avril will be 34. KJ will be 31 etc, etc.

More so than worrying about the future. LT is extremely hard to find, they don't grow on trees. So when one becomes available for a reasonable price, you go get it.

It would be a huge coo for Seattle. Flipping their worst starting player into one of the best at his position.
Again, Joe Thomas is only a temporary solution, those high draft picks are important. You don't want to be handing them away every year. He is of the age that players start slowing down and becoming more injury prone. Even the greatest left tackle of his generation, Walter Jones was forced to hang up his cleats at the age of 34, which is only two years OLDER than Joe Thomas will be this December. Walter Jones, a player whom only missed 6 games his entire career before his last year, two of which was due him sitting because the Hawks had clenched the number one seed, or they couldn't go any hire in the seeding.

Joe Thomas would not be a 'franchise' left tackle, he would be a knee jerk reaction, rent-a-player, albeit a good one. Moreover, i'd argue that one of our biggest issues was playcalling last night. There are ways to scheme around weak tackles, you see great offenses do it all of the time, our team just refuses to do so. Even with Okung, a very good left tackle our offense was still anemic at times, hit and miss, hot and cold.

Fade

Reaction score
3 Playoff runs is far more than temporary. 3 years is an eternity in the NFL.

If it were a 1yr rental I would get your point. You're way off base on this one.

Walter Jones had one of his best years @33 in 2007. The history of stud HOF LTs is 35 years old when they begin to fall off which is correct. Good news is that won't be the case until after his current contract expires. He won't turn 34 until Dec of 2018. Perfect.

Joe Thomas

2016 -31-32
2017 -32-33
2018 -33-34

This is a layup for Seattle, only problem is there will be a bidding war, and he will probably go for more than a 2nd rdr. That is where Seattle probably says no. The delusional Tom Cable may also be saying he can turn Bradley Sowell, or George Fant, or any other dumpster fire into a LT which isn't helping matters.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":19o6dw9i said:
3 Playoff runs is far more than temporary. 3 years is an eternity in the NFL.

If it were a 1yr rental I would get your point. You're way off base on this one.
Again, in two years he is going to be the same age as Walter Jones was when he retired. Even Walt was not the same player his last year. There is a chance that Joe Thomas can play for longer at a high level, but the odds are against him, especially considering Walter Jones's remarkable durability. Joe Thomas is at the tail end of his prime playing years. If we examine other HOF LT's you will see a similar trend. Jonathan Ogden was 33 when he retired, Orlando Pace 34, Willie Roaf 35. I think at the most you can expect out of Thomas is 3 years, but in reality it's all going to be downhill from here. He will be 32 in December of this year, and December of 2017 he will be the same age as Jonathon Ogden, Walter Jones, and one year younger than Orlando Pace. The Seahawks may not even get three years of solid, injury free play from Joe Thomas, the odds are stacked against him, especially since the tackles that I named were athletic freaks that possessed outstanding durability over their long-tenured NFL careers.

Joe Thomas is good, but it is all going to be downhill from here. Thomas will start becoming slower, become more injury prone, and start losing strength, and durability. In December of 2017 he will be the same age as Walter Jones when he retired. Joe Thomas could very well be a year and a half proposition, a brief glimpse at recent history shows us that we really can't expect him to be the same player he is at the moment for long -- and even more disturbing yet it suggest that he may have to hang up his cleats soon.

What I just described to you my friend is the very definition of a "rent a player".

Fade

Reaction score
So at 32 Joe Thomas is going to be washed up. LOL.

Even if it were 2 years I would still do it.
Ain't no LT coming through that door.

This upcoming draft is horrible at OT, and Seattle doesn't have the cap space to outbid more desperate teams on the open market. And they won't be bad enough to get into the top 15 to draft one. The only way Seattle can get a legit LT is through trade.

Russell isn't going to last much longer playing with the worst LT in the NFL protecting his blind side. The Seahawks are playing russian roulette.

Largent80

Reaction score
Evidently you didn't see Gilliams performance.

Terrible. On one single play both ends men were running after our QB in the back field.

Joe Thomas is not the answer.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1kedb97o said:
Fade":1kedb97o said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CHawk_Talk/status/790419053630279680[/tweet]

Seems obvious but I won't get my hopes up.

Don't have the most expertise with the cap, but I think they can carry over the unused cap if they don't spend it, so I would at least understand why they don't want to make a move. Plus they would obviously lose draft picks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":lmsn2mtw said:
NFSeahawks628":lmsn2mtw said:
Fade":lmsn2mtw said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CHawk_Talk/status/790419053630279680[/tweet]

Seems obvious but I won't get my hopes up.

Don't have the most expertise with the cap, but I think they can carry over the unused cap if they don't spend it, so I would at least understand why they don't want to make a move. Plus they would obviously lose draft picks.

Either we could roll the 6+ million over to next year or wait to see what happens this year. We may need it for a special player in the next 6 weeks. After all We are only 7 weeks into the 17 week season.

Rat

Reaction score
Not every move can be about 10 years in the future. He unquestionably helps the team now, and probably a good 2-3 years after. That's a lot more than what most late 2nd round picks get you.