Joey Hunt.. Mad props

daveman918

Reaction score
Not a mention from any of us today so I had to make a post... man that guy can play given his size. Leverage anyone? Thank god we kept him around given the injuries to Britt and Pocic.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
daveman918":1bdmcz8z said:
Not a mention from any of us today so I had to make a post... man that guy can play given his size. Leverage anyone? Thank god we kept him around given the injuries to Britt and Pocic.
Ha, I was just doing a Winners/Losers post when you put this up, and Joey was my Winner.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hunt is so underappreciated around here. I think we could be a quality starter in this league. His football smarts are top notch.

toffee

Reaction score
Looking down the road, Joey Hunt and Jamarco Jones both seems to be keepers, probably Fant too. Not so sure about Ifedi, unless he will do a home down discount. If we keep Idefi, the future OL of Jamarco, LG, Hunt, RG, Ifedi seems doable, with Fant as part time TW plus backup for both L and R tackles. We need more young guards.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1o7maa6g said:
Hunt is so underappreciated around here. I think we could be a quality starter in this league. His football smarts are top notch.

Yes indeed. Reminds me off Jeff Saturday a bit. Long-shot underdog getting by on A+ technique and intelligence, even if he doesn't have much sand in his pants.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He was blown up badly on the Wilson sack in the third quarter. He's a good technician but that's all he is.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Chris Gray was alway hated on and could be overmatched by shear size and muscle sometimes but he played well for a long time.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":dsz5zp0f said:
He was blown up badly on the Wilson sack in the third quarter. He's a good technician but that's all he is.

Britt has been blown up badly numerous times at center for sacks as well. For Hunt's price he's doing a great job.

We don't need Hunt to be an unassailable pro bowler. Just a good player at a decent price. Every team needs guys who outperform their contracts. Hunt is one of those guys.

I swear standards are really out of whack on this board at times.

Any OL who performs less well than Walter Jones is a bum.

Any coach that doesn't game plan as well as Belichek should be canned.

Any DB that can't lock down his receiver like Sherman is a scrub.

Any safety that can't cover the deep ball like Earl is a JAG.

Can't players be decent or good anymore? Do we need everything to be a dichotomy of extremes? Is there no nuance on the internet?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Mad Dog":359jh57g said:
We don't need Hunt to be an unassailable pro bowler. Just a good player at a decent price. Every team needs guys who outperform their contracts. Hunt is one of those guys.
To further your point, under a strict salary cap this is the only way to have a more talented team than average.

It's a relatively safe investment to lock a handful of great players up to big contracts. After that, you need the bulk of your team to be guys on cheaper contracts providing good value. Joey Hunt will be a UFA and probably cost around 10% of Britt's cap charge next season. If Hunt can provide as much in pass protection and 75% as much in the running game then it's well worth looking at him as an alternative.

kf3339

Reaction score
Wenhawk":szmj3nxx said:
Chris Gray was alway hated on and could be overmatched by shear size and muscle sometimes but he played well for a long time.

:ditto:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Chris Gray is a fantastic comparison. Fans loved to hate on him (myself included at times) but all he did was bring his lunch pail and bring it every gameday. Hunt may not have the stature and size people covet (gee, sound familiar?) but he makes up for it with exceptional football IQ and effort.

We will be just fine with Joey as our center. Russ would be the first to tell you so, and Britt too.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3fzfqdzc said:
One play out of 70-something plays is a poor way to make a judgment. He stoned his assignments 1, 2, or 3 times most plays, but yes, got beat on a few. Just like every Offensive lineman in the game.

chrispy

Reaction score
... and there were a lot of dropped snaps yesterday in a lot of different games. On top of showing up for blocking, a Center that can get the QB the ball and not make that big mistake, is pretty valuable in itself. That's especially the case when they haven't had many snaps with the starters and is coming off the bench in the middle of the season. We all remember when Unger left and how that exchange was a mess for a year. This time it was pretty boring. ... in a good way.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't know about arm length, but overall his height, weight and number of reps on the bench press put him in the same area as Ryan Kalil.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I loved listening to Wyman talk about how impressive it was and who he was going against. I'll always take the honest opinion of a 9 year NFL player over fans assuming the worst. Hunt really played well, turns out keeping him around was a massively good decision.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, ------- this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by the asshole acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.

HawksBrazil

Reaction score
I haven't seen this being much discussed, but who would replace him if he got injured?
I assume we'd sign someone if it was a multiple game absence, but with Pocic and Britt on IR, do we have another offensive lineman with any experience playing Center?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Jordan Roos is the backup backup backup center. At least until Pocic is available to return.

Latest posts