John Clayton is sick of Russell Wilson trade rumors: 'He's n

John63

Reaction score
John Clayton is sick of Russell Wilson trade rumors: 'He's not going anywhere!' He speaks the turth

"He's not going anywhere!" the famously mild-mannered scribe said.

Asked why the rumors persist, Clayton didn't mince words.

"Bad reporting, nationwide. ... He's only said four times he wants to finish his career here in Seattle. What more does he need to say? And if you trade him, you're now one of the worst teams in football.""

https://www.audacy.com/sports/nfl/john-clayton-dismisses-russell-wilson-trade-rumors

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
That is all fine and dandy, except, a lot of these trade rumors are fueled by Wilson himself. Wilson has used a lot of double speak even when not prompted by reporters. He says he wants to play here for 20 years, but then goes around and says: "I know for me personally, I hope it's not my last game (in Seattle), but at the same time, I know it won't be my last game in the NFL."

This statement is very interesting seeing as Wilson has a no-trade clause in his contract and cutting him is an impossibility due to the massive cap hit. This means whether Wilson stays, or goes is completely in Wilson's court. Carroll and Schneider don't have much control over the situation. If Wilson leaves, it is because he willed it to happen and forced himself out.

Personally, do I think Wilson leaves? No, but I do think that we are in for another circus from the Wilson camp this offseason and it would not surprise me in the least if he did end up leaving. I don't think Wilson is completely honest in the way he projects himself in the media.

toffee

Reaction score
When a first ballot Franchise QB announced that he is exploring opportunities outside of his employment, whether you the reporter agree with that QB or not, you the reporter must report the announcement. With that, it's the duty of opinion columnists to opine on that announcement. All out of reporting the facts and out of respect for that first ballot HOF franchise QB.

Think about it, if that QB didn't want publicity on his out therefore exploring opportunities, he wouldn't have announced it. He could just explore without making the exploration a public event.

No wonder Clayton was fired by ESPN, he was basically saying reporters must stop reporting what our HOF franchise QB's announcements. He forgot the fundamental of journalism, he is becoming a disgrace to his trade.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":vnvcxear said:
When a first ballot Franchise QB announced that he is exploring opportunities outside of his employment, whether you the reporter agree with that QB or not, you the reporter must report the announcement. With that, it's the duty of opinion columnists to opine on that announcement. All out of reporting the facts and out of respect for that first ballot HOF franchise QB.

Think about it, if that QB didn't want publicity on his out therefore exploring opportunities, he wouldn't have announced it. He could just explore without making the exploration a public event.

No wonder Clayton was fired by ESPN, he was basically saying reporters must stop reporting what our HOF franchise QB's announcements. He forgot the fundamental of journalism, he is becoming a disgrace to his trade.

Difference in reporting it and completely disregarding the context.

toffee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":27dw9gxy said:
toffee":27dw9gxy said:

Difference in reporting it and completely disregarding the context.

Russ talk, media report.

Tokadub

Reaction score
John63":2dv5nvjy said:
John Clayton is sick of Russell Wilson trade rumors: 'He's not going anywhere!' He speaks the turth

"Bad reporting, nationwide. ... He's only said four times he wants to finish his career here in Seattle. What more does he need to say? And if you trade him, you're now one of the worst teams in football.""

https://www.audacy.com/sports/nfl/john-clayton-dismisses-russell-wilson-trade-rumors

Well John Clayton also thought Wilson wasn't a top 5 or even maybe barely top 10 QB at the start of his career. He thought Luck and RG III were way better than Wilson so... sometimes even professors make mistakes.

I'm pretty sure Clayton thought Wilson was not even a top 10 QB in his first 2 seasons.

xray

Reaction score
I'm one of the few that have said that Wilson won't be back . My reasoning is this simple . Wilson wants more SB rings . To do this he knows that an excellent cast of players has to be in place around him ; which includes a great defense and a top notch coaching staff . He's tired of waiting and at 34 he knows that time is his enemy now . If this year he doesn't see what he believes to be a championship contender in the Hawks , he will want out and the Hawks will comply . Wilson is in a win now and win big mode . Carroll coming back , doesn't help in keeping Wilson either . IMO

toffee

Reaction score
xray":3109q5ir said:
I'm one of the few that have said that Wilson won't be back . My reasoning is this simple . Wilson wants more SB rings . To do this he knows that an excellent cast of players has to be in place around him ; which includes a great defense and a top notch coaching staff . He's tired of waiting and at 34 he knows that time is his enemy now . If this year he doesn't see what he believes to be a championship contender in the Hawks , he will want out and the Hawks will comply . Wilson is in a win now and win big mode . Carroll coming back , doesn't help in keeping Wilson either . IMO
Be a man, speak his mind, request a trade.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

keasley45

Reaction score
toffee":1b52sk0g said:
xray":1b52sk0g said:

Or be a man, take responsibility, and elevate your game.

toffee

Reaction score
keasley45":1il4ll7q said:
toffee":1il4ll7q said:
xray":1il4ll7q said:

That may be a lot harder than speaking his mind and ask for a trade. elevate his game may meet physical limitation and all.

chrispy

Reaction score
A) I don't think RW would agree that he needs a top defense and run game to win. I think he believes he can carry a team to a SB. I think that's the disagreement in its entirety.

B)"If he leaves, you're left with one of the worst teams in football." If "one of the worst" means one of the bottom 2, I'm not sure I believe that. If it means one of the bottom 1/3, well... the record already says that's what we have.... tied for the 8th worst record out of 32 teams.

toffee

Reaction score
chrispy":17tqlyll said:
A) I don't think RW would agree that he needs a top defense and run game to win. I think he believes he can carry a team to a SB. I think that's the disagreement in its entirety.

B)"If he leaves, you're left with one of the worst teams in football." If "one of the worst" means one of the bottom 2, I'm not sure I believe that. If it means one of the bottom 1/3, well... the record already says that's what we have.... tied for the 8th worst record out of 32 teams.

We haven't had top defense or great running game for quite a few years, and you are right sir, our franchise QB have yet to carry our team to SB.

Geno Smith isn't a great QB, might not even a good QB, I think he is a below league average QB. Our team's record under Geno? 1-2; that could be 5-12, or 6-11 for a whole season. In those three games that Geno started, our OL/Penny had yet to find running game, and frankly Geno had lots of rust. Hey Geno lost to NO and PITT, NO by 3 points, played PITT into overtime and lost by 3 points. A Geno with less rust might even won those two games.

Can a Wilsonless Hawks with improved defense and running game featuring a Geno Smith or better QB go 7-10 or 8-9 or 9-8? Not impossible, is it? The most important question: Will a Wilsonless team have more upside in 3 -4 years? I would say yes, as we shall have more good young players, Wilson will be a senior in 4 years. Jimmy G played in super bowl and his team still in playoff now, is Jimmy an elite QB?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
keasley45":3d0z8cix said:
toffee":3d0z8cix said:
xray":3d0z8cix said:

He has had 10 seasons to do all of that..I don't see much elevation at all and none of taking
responsibility..The man part is subjective at best.

keasley45

Reaction score
toffee":2rmei841 said:
chrispy":2rmei841 said:

We haven't had top defense or great running game for quite a few years, and you are right sir, our franchise QB have yet to carry our team to SB.

Geno Smith isn't a great QB, might not even a good QB, I think he is a below league average QB. Our team's record under Geno? 1-2; that could be 5-12, or 6-11 for a whole season. In those three games that Geno started, our OL/Penny had yet to find running game, and frankly Geno had lots of rust. Hey Geno lost to NO and PITT, NO by 3 points, played PITT into overtime and lost by 3 points. A Geno with less rust might even won those two games.

Can a Wilsonless Hawks with improved defense and running game featuring a Geno Smith or better QB go 7-10 or 8-9 or 9-8? Not impossible, is it? The most important question: Will a Wilsonless team have more upside in 3 -4 years? I would say yes, as we shall have more good young players, Wilson will be a senior in 4 years. Jimmy G played in super bowl and his team still in playoff now, is Jimmy an elite QB?

Agree with most of what you said (and this is the frustrating part of the conversation about how our offense isn't great outside of Wilson) except that our running game HAS been good. We just dont use it enough for it to be a reliable weapon.

2021 - 3rd in ypc , 26th in attampts
2020 - 5th in ypc , 18th in attempts
2019 - 12th in ypc , 3rd in attempts but we lost our entire backfield...
2018 - 5th in ypc , 2nd in attempts

You average that out and you have a top 10 rushing attack. And yet for the last 2 years we've elected to ignore our running game.

toffee

Reaction score
keasley45":2g9l70g9 said:
toffee":2g9l70g9 said:
chrispy":2g9l70g9 said:

Agree with most of what you said (and this is the frustrating part of the conversation about how our offense isn't great outside of Wilson) except that our running game HAS been good. We just dont use it enough for it to be a reliable weapon.

You average that out and you have a top 10 rushing attack. And yet for the last 2 years we've elected to ignore our running game.

I stand corrected! Thanks for the info,

Jville

Reaction score
keasley45":38jbonl2 said:

Nice to run across an informative post ..... thanks.

With regards to Clayton, I think the reason we see such an onslaught of recycled propaganda is that the media has lost all sense of what makes up a team. Their scope is more narrow and their depth is very shallow. They wander off into speculative narratives to fill in their voids of knowledge. And as untrustworthy as the media is, that's not going to correct it self any time soon. It has developed all the features of a soap opera* industry.

P.S. Nice to see a relevant topic on the demise of sports journalism into a self serving industry.
Edited: to read soap opera* instead of propaganda.

Elemas

Reaction score
But Russ needs a run game and he’s too short.

That NW sticky icky must be good.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
John Clayton is an outdated caricature of his past self.

I get that he doesn't want it to be a story. But that doesn't mean it's not a story. He is either disingenuous or a moron (personally I favor the former).

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
John63":mzdhzof6 said:

I feel the same way about these stinking bullshit click-bait stories.

toffee

Reaction score
GaiusMarius":2xnv9pg6 said:
John Clayton is an outdated caricature of his past self.

I get that he doesn't want it to be a story. But that doesn't mean it's not a story. He is either disingenuous or a moron (personally I favor the former).

He wanted attention and traffic, he was trying to achieve that by blaming the media, which is fashionable. It showed two things, he has no inside contacts or information, otherwise he will be happy to report an exclusive, just to be relevant for once; that and he wasn't going to let lack of inside contacts stop him from talking about Russell Wilson exploring options.

Poor Clayton, after decades of sports reporting, he is totally on the outside. May be dot net should start a crowd funding to keep his few minutes a week show on the air? Won't last long otherwise.