John Schneider interview on 710

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2isvtu98 said:
Let's play a game. Which player is Schneider referring to?

"We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means there is a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes. If you do make those mistakes, you have to be able to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can."

It's not much of a game. He was talking about Percy Harvin. He goes on to talk about the type of player they are looking for needs to have a certain quality and must fit into the locker room.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":3pavgat1 said:
hawknation2015":3pavgat1 said:

"We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means there is a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes. If you do make those mistakes, you have to be able to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can."

It's not much of a game. He was talking about Percy Harvin. He goes on to talk about the type of player they are looking for needs to have a certain quality and must fit into the locker room.

He was asked about Percy Harvin afterward. But I think he was referring to Lockette.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":29udk2t2 said:
kidhawk":29udk2t2 said:
hawknation2015":29udk2t2 said:

He was asked about Percy Harvin afterward. But I think he was referring to Lockette.

Nope, I went back and listened and he is specifically talking about college players then goes on to talk about Percy Harvin. He was specifically asked "How do you tell who really loves to play football, before they were here...."

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Q: "How do you tell you really loves to play football before they're here?"

A: "Just the way they play it. If you watch Marshawn Lynch run the ball in college, you pretty much know he loves football. Earl Thomas, the way he ran the ball in college. We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means there is a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes. If you do make those mistakes, you have to be able to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can."

Q: "Well, you talked about mistakes a couple times. And I think we haven't had a chance to talk to you throughout the season. The biggest decision you made in the season it appears was the decision to trade Percy Harvin away. It couldn't have been an easy decision if you guys had won that Super Bowl. [Phone rings] What went down in those moments? I mean you made this incredibly difficult decision for a defending Super Bowl championship team to trade away one of its most talented players. Can you take us back to that moment?"

Dang3Russ

Reaction score
I still haven't had a chance to listen to the interview but have read the articles about Lynch and Wilson on BR.

I do hope Lynch returns and think he will if the deal is right. His body took a beating last year, yet he played every game. He definately deserves the raise as a reward for what he has done since 2011 and not what he is expected to do going forward. He's a huge part of this team and its identity.

Russell Wilson is one of the smartest players in the NFL both on and off the field. He wants to win multiple championships and loosing the SB could be the biggest blessing in disguise. He is a humble guy, but loosing it on the last play brings everything into perspective. In order to win more championships, he will need a good supporting cast and taking up 20% of the teams payroll might not help. He deserves $25 million no doubt, just a smart approach to it will be key.

I'm very much looking forward to the offseason and getting back to training camp and starting where we left off.

#GoHawks

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":2zwv9rej said:
hawknation2015":2zwv9rej said:
kidhawk":2zwv9rej said:
hawknation2015":2zwv9rej said:

Nope, I went back and listened and he is specifically talking about college players then goes on to talk about Percy Harvin. He was specifically asked "How do you tell who really loves to play football, before they were here...."

Correct, and as I specifically said, he was asked about Percy Harvin right after he gave that answer.

Q: "How do you tell you who really loves to play football before they're here?"

A: "Just the way they play it. If you watch Marshawn Lynch run the ball in college, you pretty much know he loves football. Earl Thomas, the way he ran the ball in college. We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means there is a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes. If you do make those mistakes, you have to be able to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can."

Q: "Well, you talked about mistakes a couple times. And I think we haven't had a chance to talk to you throughout the season. The biggest decision you made in the season it appears was the decision to trade Percy Harvin away. It couldn't have been an easy decision if you guys had won that Super Bowl. [Phone rings] What went down in those moments? I mean you made this incredibly difficult decision for a defending Super Bowl championship team to trade away one of its most talented players. Can you take us back to that moment?"

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":326vl3qx said:

Yup. this is the exact quote and it goes directly into the Percy Harvin talk. He's specifically talking about Players who aren't here, so there's no throwing of Lockette to the wolves.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3c9nv4e1 said:
Correct, and as I specifically said, he was asked about Percy Harvin right after he gave that answer.

What you said was that he was talking about Lockette and you were 100% wrong. You even went so far as to put a picture of him and that play in your first post.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":w1c3zqnf said:
hawknation2015":w1c3zqnf said:

Yup. this is the exact quote and it goes directly into the Percy Harvin talk. He's specifically talking about Players who aren't here, so there's no throwing of Lockette to the wolves.

#1 Where does he say he's referring to players who aren't here? He says explicitly "We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays."

#2 He next gave an answer about Percy Harvin because he was specifically asked to address the Percy Harvin situation. That doesn't mean his initial answer was referring to Harvin. It could have been. It also was likely referring to current players, situations they are going through right now.

#3 You're not throwing anyone to the wolves if you don't mention them by name.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3na6kc9l said:
kidhawk":3na6kc9l said:
hawknation2015":3na6kc9l said:

#1 Where does he say he's referring to players who aren't here? He says explitely "We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays."

#2 He next gave an answer about Percy Harvin because he was specifically asked to address the Percy Harvin situation. That doesn't mean his initial answer was referring to Harvin. It could have been. It also was likely referring to current players, situations they are going through right now.

Seriously, go back and read what you quoted. He wasn't talking about Percy or Lockette, he was talking about evaluating talent before they come here. It's plain as day if you care to see it.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":u1y78ebh said:
hawknation2015":u1y78ebh said:
kidhawk":u1y78ebh said:
hawknation2015":u1y78ebh said:

#1 Where does he say he's referring to players who aren't here? He says explitely "We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays."

Dude, it's called comprehension. Listen to the audio. Read the question in context to the answer. He is specifically asked about how he finds players who truly love to play the game and how he knows who they are, before they come here. His answer was about how they are going through that right now.....right now they are evaluating players for the draft and free agency and that is what he was talking about . It's plain as day if you care to actually see the truth behind the statement instead of trying to infer something that has no basis on reality.

I think we can agree to disagree about the players that Schneider is referring to without personally questioning one another's level of comprehension.

It's not clear who he is referring to. First you said the comment was specifically about Harvin, even though the only reason he talked about Harvin afterward was because he was asked about Harvin in the next question. Now you are contending the comment was merely about evaluating players for the draft. Since you are speaking in absolutes, both of these things cannot be correct.

I think he was speaking to all of the above: their broad philosophy on talent evaluation, perhaps the Harvin situation, and perhaps Lockette -- a current free agent who was already called out by Bevell for not attacking the ball.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2eqykbhp said:
I think we can agree to disagree about the players that Schneider is referring to without personally questioning one another's level of comprehension.

It's not clear who he is referring to. First you said the comment was specifically about Harvin, even though the only reason he talked about Harvin afterward was because he was asked about Harvin in the next question. Now you are contending the comment was merely about evaluating players for the draft. Since you are speaking in absolutes, both of these thing cannot be correct.

I think he was speaking to all of the above: their broad philosophy on talent evaluation, perhaps the Harvin situation, and perhaps Lcokette -- a current free agent who was already called out by Bevell for not attacking the ball.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

First I thought my post was a little harsh, so I edited it (apparently while you were typing) so please go back and read my re-write.

Second, I said Harvin because I thought that's what he was talking about. I did so before I went back to listen again to be sure. When I went back to listen, I made another post clarifying that he wasn't talking about Lockette but he was talking about players before they came here. It is clear as day in both the audio and in the portion which was quoted above. The answer was a reply to a question about how he knows players have that passion for the game before they come here. His answer is a direct reply to that question, therefor he cannot be talking about any players on this team. It's all about comprehending the context of the question and the answer together, not taking one part out of context to fit an agenda. I guarantee you 100% that he was not talking about any current players.

Just to reiterate. He was NOT talking about Harvin and he was NOT talking about Lockette. In fact, he was NOT talking about any players current or past. His comments were clearly a reply to the question about players BEFORE they come here.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1k49bhx5 said:

Q: How do you tell you really loves to play football before they're here?
"Just the way they play it. If you watch Marshawn Lynch run the ball in college, you pretty much know he loves football. Earl Thomas, the way he ran to the ball in college. We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means there is a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes. If you do make those mistakes, you have to be able to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can."

B9316107051Z1 20150202234642 000 GED9RPL691 0

It's a scouting question in reference to the draft only, imo. When he says 'we're going through it right now" he's talking about evaluating prospects in college "before they're here", not the Seahawks roster.

Is there questions about Lockette's love of the game? I've never noticed it. He plays special teams, an under appreciated job, as intense and emotional as it gets.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":f54o9zd7 said:
First I thought my post was a little harsh, so I edited it (apparently while you were typing) so please go back and read my re-write.

Second, I said Harvin because I thought that's what he was talking about. I did so before I went back to listen again to be sure. When I went back to listen, I made another post clarifying that he wasn't talking about Lockette but he was talking about players before they came here. It is clear as day in both the audio and in the portion which was quoted above. The answer was a reply to a question about how he knows players have that passion for the game before they come here. His answer is a direct reply to that question, therefor he cannot be talking about any players on this team. It's all about comprehending the context of the question and the answer together, not taking one part out of context to fit an agenda. I guarantee you 100% that he was not talking about any current players.

You did jump the gun a little but by saying the comment was 100% about Harvin. And now you contend it is 100% about the draft/free agent class, even though there is nothing in Schneider's answer to suggest that. The question may have been coached in those parameters, but people often give answers that broaden the scope of the initial question.

Well, to your point, Lockette is not currently signed for this season. We have ERFA rights but have not yet chosen to exercise those. So even if you are correct that he was referring only to free agents, Lockette would fit the bill.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1006pysd said:
hawknation2015":1006pysd said:

"Just the way they play it. If you watch Marshawn Lynch run the ball in college, you pretty much know he loves football. Earl Thomas, the way he ran to the ball in college. We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means there is a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes. If you do make those mistakes, you have to be able to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can."

It's a scouting question in reference to the draft only, imo. When he says 'we're going through it right now" he's talking about evaluating prospects in college "before they're here", not the Seahawks roster.

Is there questions about Lockette's love of the game? I've never noticed it. He plays special teams, an under appreciated job, as intense and emotional as it gets.

We did watch Lockette fail to finish a play and attack the ball, as Bevell has already said.

Does that show a lack of intensity in the way he runs routes? I would say yes. Is that correctable? Perhaps.

Jville

Reaction score
I believe John Schneider mentioned grading each game and reviewing them with Paul Allen ... among others. So I think it useful to think of how all players finish.

In an expanded example of lessons learned from players who didn't finish well over the past year, one could include Benson Mayowa and Korey Toomer. They lost out to competitors who tackled better in the final preseason game in August with Oakland. I think it is a grading attribute that is applied to all levels thru out the year.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":sm9jlcp9 said:
hawknation2015":sm9jlcp9 said:

This is correct....it's what they are evaluating right now for the draft...in watching film of college players, "...Marshawn in college...Earl in college...", "...shows a lack of intensity....they can't make it here....they will get passed over...". It's NOTHING to do with current Seahawks but in determining future players they will draft!

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1f3jb2s1 said:
Recon_Hawk":1f3jb2s1 said:
hawknation2015":1f3jb2s1 said:

We did watch Lockette fail to finish a play and attack the ball, as Bevell has already said.

Does that show a lack of intensity in the way he runs routes? I would say yes. Is that correctable? Perhaps.
Maybe, but in that instance I think Lockette was just in over his head. He's has 18 career receptions and this was on the biggest stage of his life. I think his inexperience and the realization of the moment caused him play slow on his route, not a lack of passion or love of the game.

I still stand by my thinking he was basically talking about college prospects, but if we were to speculate on this referring to current players, couldn't you say he's talking about Lynch? I mean, he is the one contemplating retirement.

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting that we have comments that strive to "box in" the remarks of John Schneider.

The very same John Schneider who revels in thinking "outside the box"

Latest posts