John Schneider interview on 710

marko358

Reaction score
John is quoted as saying "We started off offensively with three straight three-and-outs" regarding the Super Bowl. Doesn't it seem like most of our games start slowly on offense? Hopefully he's evaluating the play caller as well as the players.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
marko358":3hb2yrad said:
John is quoted as saying "We started off offensively with three straight three-and-outs" regarding the Super Bowl. Doesn't it seem like most of our games start slowly on offense? Hopefully he's evaluating the play caller as well as the players.

Indeed. That followed a comment about Doug Baldwin beating Revis a couple times but not getting the ball for whatever reason.

:snack:

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jville":12nomj0x said:
I believe John Schneider mentioned grading each game and reviewing them with Paul Allen ... among others. So I think it useful to think of how all players finish.

In an expanded example of lessons learned from players who didn't finish well over the past year, one could include Benson Mayowa and Korey Toomer. They lost out to competitors who tackled better in the final preseason game in August with Oakland. I think it is a grading attribute that is applied to all levels thru out the year.

I vote for this answer. You could have guys that look good in college, but when they get to this level they don't/can't finish the way that JS and PC had hoped. Not everyone will work out. Very unlikely that JS's comments are about any one player.

SC

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I too think it COULD be Lockette after listening to the interview. The "We are seeing it right now... people not finishing plays" context seems to at least indicate the situation on the play that lost the Super Bowl. On the other hand, the comment about "made the mistake in the past" in the past could mean any number of players including Harvin. It is also possible however that he is talking about current players, with info that we do not know. If the organization has already chosen internally to let go of players like Lockette etc, he might refer to it as a decision that's already been made, therefore "in the past". In summary though I don't think it really matters. JS doesn't strike me as the type to specifically throwing a player under the bus, but I could also see him making a generalized statement such as this to the media, and letting it light a fire under the players it might have been directed at. A "if the shoe fits..." type moment. If I am a lazy player on the team and I heard that, it would sure wake me up and get me to the facility and hour before everyone else and give 100%.

I think JS is smart enough to realize that they put a 18 reception WR up to fail with the playcall, situation, etc etc. But they also expect players to perform. So whatever they are doing internally I would assume it would be fair and ethical and for the best of the team, so there is no real reason to argue about this. Especially since nothing is clear and we have so little info. To say he is CLEARLY talking about someone/some certain situation, is beyond silly.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
marko358":2q12s3oe said:
The playacting is the same throughout though. It's a byproduct of the offense. Our offense wears opposing defenses down, it's why we almost always finish stronger than when we start. I'm not saying I'm ok with slow starts, but there's more to them than "bad play calling." Sorry to burst your bevell bash.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
This is like standing in the deli, listening to a couple of old ladies argue about cold cuts.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I listened to the interview but all I kept hearing in my head was, "Ndamukong Suh... Ndamukong Suh... Ndamukong Suh"

RockinHawks

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1hk6lo9s said:
I listened to the interview but all I kept hearing in my head was, "Ndamukong Suh... Ndamukong Suh... Ndamukong Suh"
:thirishdrinkers:

Mick063

Reaction score
Back on track = pass rush.

One way or another, Seattle is going to get it back up to snuff.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":9lxlu1p8 said:
Lockette is not currently signed for this season. We have ERFA rights but have not yet chosen to exercise those. So even if you are correct that he was referring only to free agents, Lockette would fit the bill.

LOL, Schneider didn't even give a hint as to any particular player, nor did he mention Lockette by name, thus, it is an assumption, and insistence by YOU that it was Lockette that he was giving reference to.
I'm pretty sure that he was referring to players that have been, or are on the radar for the upcoming Draft, just my 2 cents.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Edited with the full question from Salk and John's reply.

Salk: How do you tell who really loves to play football--before they're here? If you're going through your scouting here at the Combine and throughout the draft and free agency, etc., how do you determine which guys truly love this game, 'cause it seems like you've got a lot of those guys around.

John: Just the way they play it. I mean, if you watch Marshawn Lynch run the ball in college, you pretty much know that he loves playing football. Earl Thomas, the way he runs, you know the way he ran in college, the way he ran to the ball--I just think that there's a--we're going through it right now, we're watching players that don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means they don't, there's a certain level of or a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that, I've done that, we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes, and if you do make those mistakes, you need to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can.

Salk then uses that as a natural lead-in to ask about Harvin.

Clearly the main issue being discussed was scouting guys in the draft and free agency before acquiring them.

Here's the direct link to the full interview MP3 for anyone on mobile:
http://audio.kiroradio.com/seattle/kiro ... 983455.mp3

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2wtfm3ev said:

I'll be counting Ndamukong Suhs as I fall asleep until he signs a contract.

purpleneer

Reaction score
He is definitely talking about guys they are currently scouting. Do you realize how many times they have had the legitimate chance to cut bait if Lockette fit that category? or do you really think a single play is going to overrule the rest?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kidhawk":1xoz8l4h said:
jblaze":1xoz8l4h said:
Sounds like we'll get 10 picks overall, not 11 so we likely won't get 4 comp picks but 3.

I kind of missed the details in this when I heard it the first time, but I was just re-listening to it and after he said "I think it's 10" he adds on that it depends on what they decide to do with the compensatory picks. Sounds like the formula Schneider is using says we get 3, but even he doesn't sound positive about it. I believe they announce these in March sometime. Either way though, whether it's 10 or 11, we are in pretty good shape with our draft capital this season and with the additional cap room, I think John can keep us in the mix for another Super Bowl run and I'm starting to get excited for it.
He might be figuring that the Jets cut Percy before that magical date that garnishes the Hawks comp pick.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":z8d089hg said:
kidhawk":z8d089hg said:
jblaze":z8d089hg said:
Sounds like we'll get 10 picks overall, not 11 so we likely won't get 4 comp picks but 3.

I kind of missed the details in this when I heard it the first time, but I was just re-listening to it and after he said "I think it's 10" he adds on that it depends on what they decide to do with the compensatory picks. Sounds like the formula Schneider is using says we get 3, but even he doesn't sound positive about it. I believe they announce these in March sometime. Either way though, whether it's 10 or 11, we are in pretty good shape with our draft capital this season and with the additional cap room, I think John can keep us in the mix for another Super Bowl run and I'm starting to get excited for it.
He might be figuring that the Jets cut Percy before that magical date that garnishes the Hawks comp pick.

There is no compensatory pick for Harvin because he was traded. Seahawks get a 4th if he remains on their roster and a 6th if he doesn't.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good grief, enough of .NETters throwing Lockette under the bus over "the pick".

C'mon, guys, doesn't everyone watch Lockette do his Rocket thing on punt coverage? This is a player who finishes plays, in areas where he's in his comfort zone, heart, hustle, speed, intensity. As a WR, Lockette is, at best, a #5 WR on the Seahawks, and with underdeveloped WR *skills*. He still has to think too much, though he has made some nice plays, like the ice-cream-cone catch (baseball term) for a key 1st down in the GB NFCCG. Lockette just needs to keep being developed as a WR, just like Tate took a couple years to amount to anything.

And did anyone else watch Beastquake II TD where Lockette blocked the whole damn Cardinals team, including the finishing block 60 yards down field? How can anyone who watched that talk about Lockette, from a *character* standpoint, "not finishing plays"? Rubbish!! It's a SKILLS and awareness issue with Lockette as a WR, not an "intensity" and "fnishing" issue related to his *character* as a player.

Yeah, like everyone else, I wish Lockette had made a stronger move, I wish Wilson had made a better throw, I wish Kearse had blown Browner of the line to make the pick work, I wish *anything* had been different, including the playcall, etc., etc., etc.

Let's not throw Lockette under the bus here; Schneider certainly isn't.
Let GB throw their backup TE, special teams coach, whoever, under the bus. Let's be different and better, Pete and John's way.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
purpleworld":2uqeftzz said:
Recon_Hawk":2uqeftzz said:
hawknation2015":2uqeftzz said:
Let's play a game. Which player is Schneider referring to?

Q: How do you tell you really loves to play football before they're here?
"Just the way they play it. If you watch Marshawn Lynch run the ball in college, you pretty much know he loves football. Earl Thomas, the way he ran to the ball in college. We're going through it right now. We're watching players who don't finish plays. And what is that? What does that mean to you? It means there is a certain lack of intensity to them. And those players can't make it here. They will get passed over. And you can get tricked by the speed or the athleticism or the upside, and we've done that plenty of times here. And you have to be able to avoid those mistakes. If you do make those mistakes, you have to be able to compensate for them as quickly as you possibly can."

B9316107051Z1 20150202234642 000 GED9RPL691 0

It's a scouting question in reference to the draft only, imo. When he says 'we're going through it right now" he's talking about evaluating prospects in college "before they're here", not the Seahawks roster.

Is there questions about Lockette's love of the game? I've never noticed it. He plays special teams, an under appreciated job, as intense and emotional as it gets.

This is correct....it's what they are evaluating right now for the draft...in watching film of college players, "...Marshawn in college...Earl in college...", "...shows a lack of intensity....they can't make it here....they will get passed over...". It's NOTHING to do with current Seahawks but in determining future players they will draft!

^^This^^ 100%. People trying to read way too much into things. He's clearly referring to college players they are scouting and grading.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
In reference to Kid's and Hawknation's little scuffle, I'm siding with Kid on this one. Seems a heck of a reach to suggest he's talking about Lockette, he's referring to the process of scouting they're going through right now.

John's always been a little bit of an enigma and they've never wanted to give stuff away but his comments kind of make me think guys like Dorial Green Beckham and Devin Funchess are going to be 'passed on', I don't think there's any bluffing going on there.

I'm also thinking Russell's willingness to work his contract favorably for the team would have to be rewarded with us improving the offense. As much as I like the idea of having Suh, you could probably have an equally or greater impact spending a portion of that money on a Fitz/Jackson/Marshall whilst probably keeping Byron too.

Could be one of the more exciting off-seasons.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3p9p6ugz said:
SeahawksBMX":3p9p6ugz said:
Hawkfan77":3p9p6ugz said:
John Schneider: "We're going to get this thing back on track."

:179417:

Amazing, isn't it? "Back on track" seem like words that would follow a ~4-12 season and NOT after losing a Super Bowl by 20 seconds and one yard.

This helps to move on from the loss and put it all in perspective. These are indeed good times!

"Back on track" to me means hitting on draft picks and supplementing with FA deals that are cap friendly to the team...........which if we're being honest hasn't been the case the past two years.

I like our 2014 draft class, but due to bad luck, injury, etc they weren't huge impact players in 2014. Add in the Harvin debacle and I can see where John and Pete want to get back to mining the draft for impact players and not feel desperate to find those impact and depth players in the expensive FA market.

Wow, a serious comprehension/interpretation explosion went down since I last visited this thread. Regarding ours, you are right and I was wrong (except for my "good times" assessment; I stand by that).