John Schneider lays out projected offensive line

Jville

Reaction score
BelgianHawk":33qb8wvd said:
What's the general opinion on Sokoli like?

He's had one season to adjust now. Can they afford to give him another one just based on the athletic potential or does he need to be able to actually contribute next season to stay on the roster?

As I recall, Sokoli was described as raw highly athletic conversion project that they hoped would develop over a 2 to 3 year time frame. Since they kept him on the regular roster thru out 2015, it is reasonable to assume that he has continued to develop and show progress. I'm looking forward to hearing about his next training camp and seeing him play in the preseason.

P.S. I think Garry Gilliam was probably a 2 to 3 year project. Necessity forced them to move Gilliam into a starting role in year two.

Alexander

Reaction score
The only player in that lineup who truly concerns me is Britt. Maybe Webb, since I've never seen him play and what I've read about him isn't exactly glowing, but Cable at least has a good track record with veteran O-liners.

I really like Gilliam at LT and Glow at RG, and Lewis at C is at least serviceable. I expect them to go OL heavy in the first couple of rounds, which should bring us upgrades at LG and C, and perhaps inject some competition into the tackle spots. If PC/JS do this draft right, the O-line should be set up pretty well for the next 3-4 years.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
crosfam":18058zm2 said:
Year of The Hawk":18058zm2 said:
Does anyone else besides me think that just because one player who was new at a position last year might IMPROVE next year or that all players never get better. Everyone looks at the line and says well they sucked last year get rid of them. I guess everyone should be pro bowl ready out of the draft or they are not worthy. I personally do not have knowledge of what makes a good offensive lineman so I will leave that up to those who do. And IMHO few here actually do.

That is the point folks do not see. This is a young OL with upside (and significant playoff experience). I think Gilliam could be great, Britt and Lewis serviceable. Glowinski will have growing pains but could be very good. And Webb, is the wildcard.

Right now, everyone but maybe the Cowboys is dying to improve the line.

I see two draft picks, maybe 3 if we get another project in the 7th. I doubt one will be a first rounder, but maybe. They will compete to start, and most likely be back-ups this year. Probably a RT/LT and a C/OG flex type.

Britt is nowhere near serviceable. Britt has been garbage the last two years. It is do or die for him this year.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
brimsalabim":d2buw72n said:
hawknation2016":d2buw72n said:
First things first, as relayed by Bob Condotta and Shiel Kapadia, the Seahawks plan for the offensive line -- if the season started today -- includes a competition between Garry Gilliam and Bradley Sowell for the left tackle spot. With Gilliam the favorite there after starting at right tackle all of last year, recently signed tackle J'Marcus Webb will get a shot at the right tackle spot. Filling in for the departed J.R. Sweezy at right guard, we'd see second-year pro Mark Glowinski.

That would mean Seattle's starting line, as of today, would be:

LT Garry Gilliam
LG Justin Britt
C Patrick Lewis
RG Mark Glowinski
RT J'Marcus Webb

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/3/22/112 ... ruce-irvin
Holy crap that's a bad line up! I sure hope the draft brings better options.

Bright side: a Spanish cape firm just got five orders. #job_creators

McGruff

Reaction score
Alexander":1pqc2iod said:
The only player in that lineup who truly concerns me is Britt. Maybe Webb, since I've never seen him play and what I've read about him isn't exactly glowing, but Cable at least has a good track record with veteran O-liners.

I really like Gilliam at LT and Glow at RG, and Lewis at C is at least serviceable. I expect them to go OL heavy in the first couple of rounds, which should bring us upgrades at LG and C, and perhaps inject some competition into the tackle spots. If PC/JS do this draft right, the O-line should be set up pretty well for the next 3-4 years.

I agree. I think Gilliam and Glowinski are at least solid, with the potential to be great., and Lewis is just steady. Webb and Britt is where we could add competition through the draft, plus I'm excited to see Sokoli push Britt.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Guess everyone just totally forgot about our game against the cards last year. It was only the last game of the reg season where we beat them in every facet of the game, on their home turf. Oh ya and with basically the same starting lineup that we saw JS just layout as Okung and Sweezy did not play. The line got better at the end of last year whether you want to believe it or not. Another full offseason, camp and preseason and I believe our line will be better than serviceable. Far better than we saw last year. Even IF we draft heavy on the line, which I don't believe we will, at least not early. Their is a steep learning curve and those guys won't be very good. We'll be in the same boat we were for the first half of the year. I would be willing to bet the line will be very very similar to what JS just said.

BelgianHawk

Reaction score
Jville":1o52jhxu said:
BelgianHawk":1o52jhxu said:
What's the general opinion on Sokoli like?

He's had one season to adjust now. Can they afford to give him another one just based on the athletic potential or does he need to be able to actually contribute next season to stay on the roster?

As I recall, Sokoli was described as raw highly athletic conversion project that they hoped would develop over a 2 to 3 year time frame. Since they kept him on the regular roster thru out 2015, it is reasonable to assume that he has continued to develop and show progress. I'm looking forward to hearing about his next training camp and seeing him play in the preseason.

P.S. I think Garry Gilliam was probably a 2 to 3 year project. Necessity forced them to move Gilliam into a starting role in year two.

Keeping him on the roster through 2015 is a positive sign on his development indeed. Also very curious as to do what he'll do in preseason.
I just think that if he isn't able to make the active roster this season, the experiment may not be worth it? That would almost certainly mean he won't be ready for a starting job until year 4. If he performs, he'll probably leave as a free agent and you've spent 3 years of development and a roster spot on a 1-year starter...

I find the conversion projects intriguing, but are they really worth it? Once they're developed you simply lose them.

Probably a stupid question, but would it be that bad a precedent to give a promising (drafted) player a new contract 2 years into his deal? It's not how it works in the NFL, but imagine a player like Sokoli shows true potential in his development. You give him a new contract before he becomes a starter and actually profit from the effort you put into developing him?

Jville

Reaction score
On Webb and Sowell, Schneider said, “Both very aggressive, confident individuals; guys who think they can take their career to another level. We really went with that same philosophy in free agency—not to the same level, but same philosophy—as we did with Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett. Shorter-term deals, come in and bust your butt, hopefully we’ll be able to re-sign you, and if not you’ll get to free agency quicker.”
On Gilliam’s potential to move to left tackle after starting at right tackle last year, Schneider said, “He’s a heck of an athlete. He played there in college too. He’s just such a good athlete, he could play really wherever he wanted. He can play tight end—you’ve seen him catch the ball. He’s an extremely talented guy, as is Sowell. Sowell is very quick and athletic, and again, very, very confident in his abilities.”

Seahawks GM John Schneider Talks O-Line, the Plan at Strongside LB, Marshawn Lynch and more at NFL Annual Meetings >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/03/22/seahawks-gm-john-schneider-talks-o-line-plan-strongside-lb-marshawn-lynch-and-more?sf22995623=1[/urltargetblank]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1hv780fr said:
Nothing surprising although I'd like to see some extra competition at LG and C. Probably through the draft.

Well I'm pretty sure he wouldn't come out and say, "And left guard will be manned by 'hope to hell we find somebody in the draft!'"

I mean, might well be honest, but still.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":1bbufh9h said:
brimsalabim":1bbufh9h said:
hawknation2016":1bbufh9h said:
First things first, as relayed by Bob Condotta and Shiel Kapadia, the Seahawks plan for the offensive line -- if the season started today -- includes a competition between Garry Gilliam and Bradley Sowell for the left tackle spot. With Gilliam the favorite there after starting at right tackle all of last year, recently signed tackle J'Marcus Webb will get a shot at the right tackle spot. Filling in for the departed J.R. Sweezy at right guard, we'd see second-year pro Mark Glowinski.

LT Garry Gilliam
LG Justin Britt
C Patrick Lewis
RG Mark Glowinski
RT J'Marcus Webb

Holy crap that's a bad line up! I sure hope the draft brings better options.

Bright side: a Spanish cape firm just got five orders. #job_creators

I lol'ed.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Marshal yanda, 3rd round pick. Incognito, 3rd rd. Pick. Jason peters, udfa. Andrew whitworth, rd. 2. Sebastian vollmer, rd. 2. Jared veldheer, rd. 3. My point is that is 6 of the top 10 rated linemen last year were drafted in the 2nd round or later. We don't know the potential of our young guys. We could get a couple of starters put of the draft. Maybe Ryan kelley, the center from alabama. There are a couple of tackles that could fall to us. If we just go out and sign free agents that are long in the tooth, we will change draft strategy and miss out on bringing future talent in. Even the mighty Joe thomas was a young player at one point. It is time we spend serious draft capital and get some young guys in and develope them. Maybe we can have a line that plays together for a few years. I always say, give wilson even a slightly above average line, and there will be no doubt who the best qb in the league is.

JKent82

Reaction score
Just draft a RT and call it good.

(Also pray that guys actually improve and don't Sweezy)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2lfh3idf said:
Wow that is grim. I really hope there is some kind of way we look at new talent coming into the NFL and maybe seeing if we could pick some of these players. Also I wish there was some kind of way of trading existing players between teams as that might be useful. Maybe we could have these players fight for their places during some kind of off season and some practice games? Currently it just seems so futile and we probably shouldn't even bother competing next season.
I had to read this twice before I got the satire... then I laughed so hard I inhaled some saliva and had a spasmodic coughing episode.

Damn you.

Ozzy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":9bud7jx4 said:
I'd definitely love to see Soko beat out Britt, but otherwise I like it.

This is all just projection based on right now though. If we draft in the first 4 rounds this will change and could change even with later picks and UDFAs.

I would be surprised if Britt is starting week 1. Someone from the draft will beat him out, I hope. I like the potential of Gilliam and Glowinski but the other 3 spots worry me. Should be interesting.

pehawk

Reaction score
More than other OL philosophies, Cable's system takes time and repetition to click. Cable, more than any other Seahawk, got the shaft under the new CBA. That's why we've always witnessed late season offensive peaks under this regime. Get used to it.

However, and all that said, going into next year, there's a young core that only knows Cable's way. A core that has a chance to grow together for a good 3-5 years....that's something we've never seen in this era. I'm genuinely excited (limpy blimpy) over that facet.

On Britt, he was obviously hurt last year and it wasn't reported. My guess is it was a shoulder or bicep tear. It was apparent...at least to me. He'll be fine.

Related note, anyone else fear Cable's sequel pairing with Deadpool will be a distraction?

XOXO

Howard Mudd

ivotuk

Reaction score
pehawk":2vuiopa5 said:
More than other OL philosophies, Cable's system takes time and repetition to click. Cable, more than any other Seahawk, got the shaft under the new CBA. That's why we've always witnessed late season offensive peaks under this regime. Get used to it.

However, and all that said, going into next year, there's a young core that only knows Cable's way. A core that has a chance to grow together for a good 3-5 years....that's something we've never seen in this era. I'm genuinely excited (limpy blimpy) over that facet.

On Britt, he was obviously hurt last year and it wasn't reported. My guess is it was a shoulder or bicep tear. It was apparent...at least to me. He'll be fine.

Related note, anyone else fear Cable's sequel pairing with Deadpool will be a distraction?

XOXO

Howard Mudd

This is it exactly.

It seems too many fans reaction/solution is to replace everyone from the year before with hopeful, new guys so that fans can have that "hopeful new beginning" feeling.

It's a really poor approach that teams like Cleveland use. "Our coach didn't win in the last 18 months! Fire him! Fire the GM! Draft a new QB! And cut half the team while signing high priced free agents so that We Win Free Agency! Again! 18 years in a row!"

What Pe is trying to say, is that learning offensive line takes awhile! And coaches don't have the time that they used to, in order to train new guys and rookies. And if you rotate them out because they weren't top 10 last year, you take 2 steps back...again..

That's why I love the proposed line, as they have been here a year, worked with Tom Cable, and have mostly been healthy. So maybe, just maybe we can have that elusive dream of the same 5 players on the Offensive Line for 16 PLUS games in a row! Something we haven't seen since the Pete and John era began. Just imagine!

OR, we can follow UK_Seahawk's satirical approach:

"Wow that is grim. I really hope there is some kind of way we look at new talent coming into the NFL and maybe seeing if we could pick some of these players. Also I wish there was some kind of way of trading existing players between teams as that might be useful. Maybe we could have these players fight for their places during some kind of off season and some practice games? Currently it just seems so futile and we probably shouldn't even bother competing next season."

P.S. Everybody has trashed our guys for 5 years now, but lo and behold, other teams keep signing them away from us, for good money. And it's not Detroit.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
hawknation2016":4ipzsxgx said:

LT Garry Gilliam
LG Justin Britt
C Patrick Lewis
RG Mark Glowinski
RT J'Marcus Webb

Guess we can start coming up with some nicknames now ...the "Terrible Turnstile"...the "Offensive Offensive"..."Marshmallow Monsters"...."Rowdy Roadkills"

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":1awwawwr said:
Guess we can start coming up with some nicknames now ...the "Terrible Turnstile"...the "Offensive Offensive"..."Marshmallow Monsters"...."Rowdy Roadkills"

The Flapped Jacks/Flapjacks. The Missionaries. The Spread Eagles. The After-Yous. The Black-And-Blued Brothers.