John Schneider lays out projected offensive line

bigskydoc

Reaction score
BelgianHawk":3aa9cmrk said:
Probably a stupid question, but would it be that bad a precedent to give a promising (drafted) player a new contract 2 years into his deal? It's not how it works in the NFL, but imagine a player like Sokoli shows true potential in his development. You give him a new contract before he becomes a starter and actually profit from the effort you put into developing him?

Not allowed under the CBA. Can't negotiate a new contract until after the third season. Following the 3rd season, there are three months to either exercise the fifth year option (for first round picks), or enter into contract negotiations. Failing either of these, the rookie plays out the fourth year of the rookie contract before entering free agency.

If the Hawks like Sokoli long term, they can negotiate a long-term deal with him after his third season without exposing him to free agency, just like the did with Wilson.

-bsd

HawkFan72

Reaction score
So basically we have backup-quality players starting at every single position on the O-line. We don't have a single starting-caliber player on our roster.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkFan72":230zhin4 said:
So basically we have backup-quality players starting at every single position on the O-line. We don't have a single starting-caliber player on our roster.

Can you define that?

Fans have been frustrated for years with the O-Line, but a lot of our O-Lineman don't seem to have trouble finding jobs elseware outside of Okung. Was he what you call "starting caliber"?

O-Line is an issue for the league as a whole.

Basis4day

Reaction score
bigskydoc":5lpx2iq4 said:
BelgianHawk":5lpx2iq4 said:
Probably a stupid question, but would it be that bad a precedent to give a promising (drafted) player a new contract 2 years into his deal? It's not how it works in the NFL, but imagine a player like Sokoli shows true potential in his development. You give him a new contract before he becomes a starter and actually profit from the effort you put into developing him?

Not allowed under the CBA. Can't negotiate a new contract until after the third season. Following the 3rd season, there are three months to either exercise the fifth year option (for first round picks), or enter into contract negotiations. Failing either of these, the rookie plays out the fourth year of the rookie contract before entering free agency.

If the Hawks like Sokoli long term, they can negotiate a long-term deal with him after his third season without exposing him to free agency, just like the did with Wilson.

-bsd

To add to that on the issue in red:

If you can develop a very late rd pick like Sokoli into a reliable player for even one year it's still a good return on your investment.

Sealake80

Reaction score
We will have a running game and protection is going to get better not worse. my 2 cents

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Sealake80":3283eqeu said:
We will have a running game and protection is going to get better not worse. my 2 cents

Agree.....but the jury is still out on the running game since ML is retired and Rawls is looking good but still unproven. More than just a front line for a running game.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3a70e0ro said:
Interview with Coach Carroll is worth watching:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0a ... w-guys-out

The above link moves on to reference Pete Carroll's thoughts and inferences of an author.
On the edges, as it stands right now, Seattle sees the foursome of Garry Gilliam, Bradley Sowell, J'Marcus Webb, and Terry Poole duking it out in training camp and the preseason for two starters' jobs. Where these guys end up is still pretty up in the air, though I'd say the favorites are Gilliam at LT and Webb at RT.
We think those guards (Glowinski and Britt) give us a really secure spot with big upside.''

I feel good about their projected starting guards. I am not at all worried about their reporting weight and conditioning. They both worked at their projected positions thru out last year. So ..... they will both be ahead of their 2015 schedule and history.

Britt has been durable as was Garry Gilliam in 2015. The two of them were #1 & #2 in offensive snaps. That suggests the potential for excellent continuity and growth on the left side of the line.

On the outside, I am confident Gilliam is the real deal. His best games are yet to come. John Schneider has described Bradley Sowell as quick and confident. J'Marcus Webb is a big man that appears capable of bringing a more physical game to the right tackle position. To me that potentially bods well for more powerful right side zone stretch plays. The following quote caught my attention ...............

"In his career, he's been knocked around quite a bit, but we think that he's really made a big turn. He's made a big turn as a young man in his last couple years. We really think that we may be catching him at a really good time. So we're excited about him."

Carroll may be referring to Webb's decision to quit drinking 25 months ago, or he could obviously be referring too to Webb's play on the field.

No mention was made of the center position. But, they have 4 listed on the roster. So, there will be competition. And, the contrast in athletic ability among center candidates is considerable. So .... they have options at center.

With regards to conversion projects, I don't expect much out of year 1. Year one is really an orientation year (with Sweezy as a recent exception). Kristjan Sokoli, Will Pericak and Kona Schwenke have all completed their first year with Seattle. Although Schwenke was injured in the preseason, they should all have a clear understanding of the competition they face for a roster spot. The pay off should make itself evident in August. Given that 4th round pick Terry Poole reportedly struggle with learning to become a pro, the pay off for keeping him around should make itself evident, as well, in August.

They have 11 offensive linemen under contract. A couple of draft picks and a couple of rookie free agents should fill out the training camp roster.

When Tom Cable acknowledged that they were starting over with the offensive line at the conclusion of last years draft, I believed him. Now that they are moving on to year two, I am rather optimistic.

Enjoy the journey.

kearly

Reaction score
I love Pete, but he's trying too hard to sell things for me to not think it's a smokescreen. Translation: "Time to get excited for the draft!"

It is kind of funny though how Pete gushes over basically a bunch of backup caliber players, and then he gets to Justin Britt and he has to keep his praise as minimal as possible just to keep a straight face.

Latest posts