John Schnieder presser

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dion Jordan is a little heavier now, plan on playing him along the defensive line. Always thought of him as a heck of an inside rusher too. He's always had the speed off the edge and the length. He's got a natural feel for working guys edges and stuff. Whether it is end, 5-3, some LEO as well, but as this point it looks like DL.

This part was interesting to me, as I heard it discussed on 710, not that Im surprised, but this is exactly where I projected DJs role in the original signing thread:

As for fit within this team, I say Jordan will play more of a Bennett type role, than being pegged in the Bruce Irvin role. Jordan is listed at 6-6, 275... looks to have the size, length, and quickness to be developed into a pass-rush DL.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136621

I go on to make the post more about Frank Clark than Jordan. Going as far as that I would be rooting for Dion Jordan, if it meant Clark is on the field more, specifically with Jordan providing inside/outside depth on the D-Line while the Seahawks move Clark to the Bruce Irvin role.

As for the rest of the JS presser, since I don't think a hot link was supplied:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/comments/67bnai/seahawks_predraft_press_conference_with_gm_john/

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yhyh1f3 said:
Seymour":1yhyh1f3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1yhyh1f3 said:
Two big takeaways I have from Schneider's presser;

1. He doesn't like that we don't have a 4th or 5th round pick, so IMO he's tipping his hand that we're going to trade down at least once to pick up more picks, maybe twice with how deep this draft is defensively.

2. He's ACUTELY aware of he and Pete's recent hit rate failures of the past 2-3 drafts compared to their first 3. Obviously John's not going to expand on that and tip their hand as to the nuts and bolts of their scouting department, and how they evaluate players.............but it made me feel good that Pete and John are tirelessly fine tuning that part of the process to try and get back to drafting future all pro's, and not missing on 50-75% of our picks like it's been the past 2-3 years.

I don't understand why I keep hearing this. I do not believe that myself.

What would you rather have?

3 3rd round picks....or..... a 3rd a 4th and a 5th?

Because three 3rd round picks are only a good thing if there are three 3rd round or higher graded players you want still on the board.

Why would you use your 2 of your 3 third round picks on players that are graded lower than that round?

See where I'm going here. Schneider knows there's value in the later rounds, so not having those picks makes him nervous. Which is why I think we trade one or maybe two of those 3rd rounders to move up if we need..........or to pick up more later round picks if the value isn't there.

Because at least one of those 3rds is very late and past 32. Close your eyes and pretend it's an early 4th, and snag the top 4th round pick from your board if it makes you feel better. Bottom line is, we have more options with 3 3rds than 1 of ea 3,4,5.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
After listening to this presser I got the impression that PC/JS really didn't want to move Sherman. Schneider explained the original comments on the matter came about because he 1. tries to stay as open as possible with the players 2. he had read about the trade rumors on a ticker 3. was asked directly about it and didn't feel like he had to lie or hide anything.

The people who were declaring Sherman a distraction, detriment to our team and saying all of this was evidence of a serious falling out between Sherm and the franchise can take a bow and eat some crow now.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3gxt4ace said:
After listening to this presser I got the impression that PC/JS really didn't want to move Sherman. Schneider explained the original comments on the matter came about because he 1. tries to stay as open as possible with the players 2. he had read about the trade rumors on a ticker 3. was asked directly about it and didn't feel like he had to lie or hide anything.

The people who were declaring Sherman a distraction, detriment to our team and saying all of this was evidence of a serious falling out between Sherm and the franchise can take a bow and eat some crow now.
Yep, it's the fake news, TMZ, Florio phenomenon the media has devolved into. And it sucks. But what do you expect when a news source that was once respected like ESPN lays off newshound Ed Werder and keeps a guy like that loudmouth Stephen A. Smith around?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":51tpc5vo said:
JGfromtheNW":51tpc5vo said:

Yep, it's the fake news, TMZ, Florio phenomenon the media has devolved into. And it sucks. But what do you expect when a news source that was once respected like ESPN lays off newshound Ed Werder and keeps a guy like that loudmouth Stephen A. Smith around?

Man I feel bad for guys like Ed Werder getting laid off effective immediately. Stephen A. Smith is a cornerstone of ESPN's trash product(s), if only I was surprised they'd keep that loud mouth around.

Seymour

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":12l8t2f5 said:

Just because they did not get what they want (still may up to draft day also), does not mean there are no issues between Sherman and the team. You would really need to be completely blind to not acknowledge the strained relationship there.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Can we just have a news source that reports the damn facts instead of adding their biased slants? I don't want anyone else forming my opinion, I can manage that on my own.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":364qai1i said:

Huh?

You don't actively open discussions about trading one of your best players under contract for two more years unless there's a problem with said player.

We can discuss the severity of the problem, or however you'd like to quantify or measure Sherman's situation last year and this off season. But I'm not eating any crow for saying he WAS, and IS an ongoing negative issue with this team.

How much of a negative issue? 90%? 5%? Somewhere inbetween? Guess we'll see this year won't we?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2bplc6ob said:
Can we just have a news source that reports the damn facts instead of adding their biased slants? I don't want anyone else forming my opinion, I can manage that on my own.

Agree 100%. So sick of today's media being formed from gossip and opinion.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Seymour":17ya371n said:
Sgt. Largent":17ya371n said:
Seymour":17ya371n said:
Sgt. Largent":17ya371n said:
Two big takeaways I have from Schneider's presser;

1. He doesn't like that we don't have a 4th or 5th round pick, so IMO he's tipping his hand that we're going to trade down at least once to pick up more picks, maybe twice with how deep this draft is defensively.

2. He's ACUTELY aware of he and Pete's recent hit rate failures of the past 2-3 drafts compared to their first 3. Obviously John's not going to expand on that and tip their hand as to the nuts and bolts of their scouting department, and how they evaluate players.............but it made me feel good that Pete and John are tirelessly fine tuning that part of the process to try and get back to drafting future all pro's, and not missing on 50-75% of our picks like it's been the past 2-3 years.

I don't understand why I keep hearing this. I do not believe that myself.

What would you rather have?

3 3rd round picks....or..... a 3rd a 4th and a 5th?

Because three 3rd round picks are only a good thing if there are three 3rd round or higher graded players you want still on the board.

Why would you use your 2 of your 3 third round picks on players that are graded lower than that round?

See where I'm going here. Schneider knows there's value in the later rounds, so not having those picks makes him nervous. Which is why I think we trade one or maybe two of those 3rd rounders to move up if we need..........or to pick up more later round picks if the value isn't there.

Because at least one of those 3rds is very late and past 32. Close your eyes and pretend it's an early 4th, and snag the top 4th round pick from your board if it makes you feel better. Bottom line is, we have more options with 3 3rds than 1 of ea 3,4,5.

You would never trade to later rounds straight across. say you have 3 3rd round picks. Keep 1 of them, trade another for a 4th and a fifth, and the other later round 3rd you have for a 4th and 6th, or 5th and 6th etc.

You go from having 3 3rd round picks fairly close together to now spreading out a total of 5 picks. This is historically what they have done, they want as many picks as they can get as they feel that they have a good enough scouting program to see things other teams do not. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't, but after the first and second rounds the difference in skill level between players gets much closer and really comes down to team fit and quality scouting.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1tf6wtqg said:
...You don't actively open discussions about trading one of your best players under contract for two more years unless there's a problem with said player.

Funny how often this needs to be stated here. Are people really that naive to think this happens to every star player on every team (actually called out considering trade in the press by team management....NOT rumors)?

When was the last time Schnieder said to the press they are listening to trade offers for Russell Wilson?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
In what way was Sherm NOT a distraction last year? Come on.
This wasn't just some media created thing, you don't just come out and say that what you are hearing is valid for no reason.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I definitely admit that Sherman was a distraction for a small part of last season, but IMO, people have completely blown this out of proportion. Until further information comes out of either the Sherman camp or the FO, I choose not to believe the narrative that the relationship is so strained that the organization truly thinks they would be better off moving on from Sherm.

This story and this narrative has been going on for a month now based off of one interview with Schneider and some comments from Sherman, neither of which firmly indicated each party's intention and what is going on behind closed doors.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Do you think it was ok to call out the OC in front of everyone? Or to blowup at teammates? Or to say he was going to ruin a guy's career, only to claim it never happened is cool? No bowing down or crow needed. He just needs to shut his pie hole and play ball.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Having too many early picks and no late round picks is a good problem to have but still a problem from a logistical side.

One fundamental difference between NFL teams and amateur draft evaluators is that teams are on the hook for their decisions and so are highly risk averse. They are quick to take people off their boards entirely, either for off-field reasons or scheme and personality mismatches. As a result, we learn that very good FOs like New England have gone into a draft with just 90 names. Narrowing their focus allows them to do more extensive scouting and backgrounds to make sure they get a 'fit' for their organization with each pick. The risk that a very good player will slip through entirely is minimized by assuming that the other 31 teams are all rational and the draft operates as an Efficient Market.

Of course, the problem with having a smaller pool of players is that they may not be evenly spread across rounds. Will the Hawks have three of their guys with third round grades available at the end of the round when they select three times? There have been a couple of times recently where they've tried to trade down but couldn't find a partner and ended up just taking their next player a little early.

chris98251

Reaction score
Being able to draft talent late is a big bonus, the salary escalations are much less and the second contract will be a lot less in theory then a 1st rounder resigning lets say.

London12

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1tys3rwa said:
London12":1tys3rwa said:
Huge long write-up of this presser available on the Seahawks sub on Reddit. Probably too much to post here but there's some interesting stuff.

I've seen AgentDib running around in there. Anyone else want to confess?

...They can be a little less negative / depressing than here so I do peruse.