Jordyn Brooks to Miami (3 years, $30m)

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Complicated issues relating to organizational culture and deeper organizational flaws that aren't limited to single groups of coaches, scouts, or personnel executives.
Yeah, I didn’t say it was the only element. And I have no idea how much work goes into free agency.

I do know that teams sign players year after year to hefty contracts who don’t fit their system. As the Seahawks did with Jimmy Graham and others.

But I’m genuinely curious how much time a team might spend on one player who is outside of the division and the teams don’t play that often.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn’t say it was the only element. And I have no idea how much work goes into free agency.

I do know that teams sign players year after year to hefty contracts who don’t fit their system. As the Seahawks did with Jimmy Graham and others.

But I’m genuinely curious how much time a team might spend on one player who is outside of the division and the teams don’t play that often.
I mean, they are giving him millions of dollars. You think they did no more research than a random kid playing the franchise mode on Madden?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I mean, they are giving him millions of dollars. You think they did no more research than a random kid playing the franchise mode on Madden?
Not exactly but he’s an nfl starter and former first round pick with a lot of available stats. He’s not some kid coming out of college. They do have to pass a medical exam.

But yes based on some of the eye popping contracts and poor fits I do wonder how much tape some of these teams actually watch on a given player.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Not exactly but he’s an nfl starter and former first round pick with a lot of available stats. He’s not some kid coming out of college. They do have to pass a medical exam.

But yes based on some of the eye popping contracts and poor fits I do wonder how much tape some of these teams actually watch on a given player.
I mean, they've got actual employees who their entire job is to watch tape. There's basically no chance they didn't watch tape of Brooks before signing him for $30 mil.

Now, just because a team watches tape doesn't mean they are getting a guy who fits. Watching tape doesn't mean you actually know how he'll fit your scheme. You just know his results with the scheme on the team he was on, surrounded by the players he was on the team with, and being coached by guys who aren't you.

That leaves plenty of room for guys to get it wrong, be overly optimistic, or talk themselves into something they shouldn't be talking themselves into.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Thank god this has it's own thread on the main board because I'd hate to downplay all his contributions to our teams success by disrespecting him.

chris98251

Reaction score
John said they wanted to resign but were in the Williams discussions and Dolphins swooped in and moved fast.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think John was lying to be nice, and I don't think that he was actually too busy with Leonard to even deal with Brooks.

I think the real answer is that they budgeted money for Leonard, and they were going to pivot up to half of it to Brooks if Leonard decided to move on.

It's not that they were ignoring Brooks and just trying to get Leonard's done first. I think it was that Brooks being a retention candidate was contingent on Leonard moving on.

Could be wrong, but that's my take.

Reactions: Jac

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I like Brooks a lot, but if there's one spot I'm comfortable cheaping out on with this coaching staff, it's ILB.

Most of the league is cheaping out at ILB right now. Some of the top 15 ILB contracts in the league are literally rookie deals.