Josh Norman to the Redskins, 5 years, $75 million

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":4vn79cdx said:
Popeyejones":4vn79cdx said:
These guys sound exactly like the super pathetic and whiny 9ers fans who insist the Seahawks' success is invalidated because they got popped for multiple PED violations and have twice gotten popped for violating the CBA.

Overstating cases and excessive mouth breathing to mislabel molehills as mountains.

Y'all are so webzone right now. :lol:

I'll tell you what, I'll open a new thread in the smack shack to discuss this so it doesn't continue to derail the thread.

As for McLoughan I am in agreement with most here. The guy knows talent. Did alot to help us in the early days as well as the 9ers though he seems to get alot more credit here then on 9er boards for some reason. Definitely a team to watch.

Link: http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=125015

You won't get any argument from me on Scot.

He's a great talent evaluator. Nobody's perfect. Many slam Baalke on his 2012, but outside of Crabtree and RJF, Scots 2008 and 2009 weren't much better.

He did tho get the team moving in the right direction with homerun picks like Willis, Gore, Staley, and V. Davis. He's a really good GM and I was sad to see him go.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, his 2008 draft for the 9ers was as bad as Basalke's 2012 one that Hawks fans love to talk about, and his 2009 wasn't much better (unless you consider burning a top 10 pick in Crabtree a big succes).

More importantly though is that Scot was the de facto GM in 2005 and took Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rodgers.

Nolan came out today and said they picked Smith because they thought Rodgers was too cocky and not eager to please like Smith was. LOL.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":1pn88ptp said:
Laloosh":1pn88ptp said:
Repeating "Jim Druckenmiller" sounds like a politician falling back on or repeating talking points. Just sayin...

Maybe...

...but bears repeating thats the guy we are talking about when we talk about the times the Niners were penalized for cheating. Him and Lance Briggs...a player who never once suited up for the 49ers.

I'm sorry, who? I've already forgotten the guy's name. Could you say it just one more time, Marv? :les:

On a serious note, I hope you're well. Glad to see that you, Popeye and rlkats haven't tired of us just yet.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Laloosh":nmpqe2e5 said:
Marvin49":nmpqe2e5 said:
Laloosh":nmpqe2e5 said:
Repeating "Jim Druckenmiller" sounds like a politician falling back on or repeating talking points. Just sayin...

Maybe...

...but bears repeating thats the guy we are talking about when we talk about the times the Niners were penalized for cheating. Him and Lance Briggs...a player who never once suited up for the 49ers.

I'm sorry, who? I've already forgotten the guy's name. Could you say it just one more time, Marv? :les:

On a serious note, I hope you're well. Glad to see that you, Popeye and rlkats haven't tired of us just yet.
Interesting that neither Marv nor Popeye have commented in the Anthony Davis thread.......

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Welp, after the dust has settled from Draft weekend it appears Carolina went all-in on not only finding Norman's replacement but stabilizing the cornerback position for the next five years or so.

The Panthers went CB with three consecutive picks 2nd-3rd*-5th (traded their 4th rd to move up in rd 3).

Second round pick James Bradberry is almost a carbon copy of Norman: 6'1 210, out of a small school like Norman, has length and is a good tackler. Clearly the Panthers see Bradberry as someone that will fit into their zone scheme.

Worley is another big corner, going almost 6'1. Zack Sanchez out of Oklahoma projects to play in the nickel.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
^Certainly doesn't guarantee a better overall unit in 2016 than 2015 because Norman was that good in 2015, but appears to be an immediate upgrade over Tillman, Finnegan, and McClain, the latter two playing virtually all three playoff games in full. With Boykin signed for the vet min and Benwikere returning from injury, it's far deeper and far cheaper at least. Another vet pickup before September wouldn't shock me either.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":342mkgh4 said:
Welp, after the dust has settled from Draft weekend it appears Carolina went all-in on not only finding Norman's replacement but stabilizing the cornerback position for the next five years or so.

Some might say that, others might say they panicked after mishandling the whole Norman situation.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
And some might say they had a plan in mind when they cut Norman and they perfectly executed it.

OP
OP
C

ctrcat

Reaction score
All three CBs taken had been brought in for pre-draft visits between the Norman tag being offered and subsequently pulled. Gettleman's answer after being asked if he was drafting more than one CB from 11:00-11:30 of the video before day 2 of the draft in retrospect proves there was no panic http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/vid ... 2565f81262 They even knew they had to trade up in front of the Eagles in round 3 to get Worley. Only time will tell of course if the plan works but zero doubt about the plan itself.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3q3d9jff said:
Cary Kollins":3q3d9jff said:

Some might say that, others might say they panicked after mishandling the whole Norman situation.

The Panthers didn't "mishandle" anything.

Norman's ex-agent is the one that mishandled the situation.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":k8k02jn4 said:
Cary Kollins":k8k02jn4 said:

Some might be Seahawks fans and mistake team building that differs from the Hawks' strategy as a mistake or panicking.

If you're primarily playing cover 3 with some single high mixed in you've gotta pay Sherman whatever he wants, as talented CB and Safety play mask the flaws of that scheme.

If you're primarily playing a modified Tampa 2 then a cornerback, no matter how good he is, just might not be worth 16 APY to you, particularly if you've got some real young talent at DT in Short and Lotulelei who you need to resign, as talented D Line play (particularly in the interior) masks the flaws of that scheme.

All to say that letting Norman walk was to me not a comment on Norman, but instead, was a comment on the Panthers' defensive scheme and what they're willing to pay a CB.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3u75znfm said:
UK_Seahawk":3u75znfm said:
Cary Kollins":3u75znfm said:

Some might be Seahawks fans and mistake team building that differs from the Hawks' strategy as a mistake or panicking.

If you're primarily playing cover 3 with some single high mixed in you've gotta pay Sherman whatever he wants, as talented CB and Safety play mask the flaws of that scheme.

If you're primarily playing a modified Tampa 2 then a cornerback, no matter how good he is, just might not be worth 16 APY to you, particularly if you've got some real young talent at DT in Short and Lotulelei who you need to resign, as talented D Line play (particularly in the interior) masks the flaws of that scheme.

All to say that letting Norman walk was to me not a comment on Norman, but instead, was a comment on the Panthers' defensive scheme and what they're willing to pay a CB.

Bingo.

And that is exactly what the Panthers GM said in his post-Norman press conference.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Ah, didn't hear or see that.

Nice confirmation, then. :lol:

rideaducati

Reaction score
Gettleman had a choice to make... Pay one player $14 million per year and risk losing two others because he couldn't afford them or cut bait with that guy. Every team has to make those choices and so far, Gettleman is doing quite well. With their front 7, they are comfortable with taking the risk of letting a good player go from their secondary.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2nra0ymb said:
^^^^ Ah, didn't hear or see that.

Nice confirmation, then. :lol:

Gettleman has some of the more entertaining and insightful press conferences from anyone I've ever seen in football. First, he has this thick Boston accent, which is hilariously out of place in North Carolina. Second, he's got a great sense of humor and lastly he legitimately tells it like it is. He's in his 60's and this is probably the last job he's going to have in the NFL, so he doesn't sugar coat things or put smokescreens out there.

I'd recommend googling a few of his press conferences. They are pretty hilarious.