Julian Love vs Ryan Neal

toffee

Reaction score
Apparently, our front office is replacing Neal with Love. Is Love a better safety or ncb than Neal?

Two years younger and drafted 4th round vs undrafted, but performance wise, has Love been better?

Love: 5'10 3/4", 195 lbs, 32 3/4" arm, 9" hand, 4.5 sec 40.
Neal: 6'3", 200 lbs, 31 3/4" arm, 8 3/4" hand, 4.47sec 40.

Who's better? And why replace Neal with an more expensive Love?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Love has been a defensive team captain and a guy that calls the defensive backfield. Smart, high character guy. Those things go beyond measurable. Especially at a young age. Guys don't vote a 25 year old captain unless his play on the field and demeanour in the locker room are above reproach.

So Love is a real pro's pro and Carrol loves those guys. Think Kam and KJ. Absolutely a coup for this defence.

But in reality, I'd love to have all 4 guys in the safety room. I don't want another Josh Jones type playing significant snaps again.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Love has been a defensive team captain and a guy that calls the defensive backfield. Smart, high character guy. Those things go beyond measurable. Especially at a young age. Guys don't vote a 25 year old captain unless his play on the field and demeanour in the locker room are above reproach.

So Love is a real pro's pro and Carrol loves those guys. Think Kam and KJ. Absolutely a coup for this defence.

But in reality, I'd love to have all 4 guys in the safety room. I don't want another Josh Jones type playing significant snaps again.
Cool, the front office might just made a good decision.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Apparently, our front office is replacing Neal with Love. Is Love a better safety or ncb than Neal?

Two years younger and drafted 4th round vs undrafted, but performance wise, has Love been better?

Who's better? And why replace Neal with an more expensive Love?
Im hoping that they resign Neil after the draft for less money hopfully no one picks him up..

nwHawk

Reaction score
For all the hype about Love, remember he is slightly older than Jamal Adams.

morgulon1

Reaction score
By signing Love and not re-signing Neal, the team clearing believed that Love is a better player than Neal, right?
Right. For whatever reason. The only thing I can think of is maybe injury? Plus the fact Love can play about anywhere so maybe its a versatility issue.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Love is a classic SS while Adams is hybrid LB/SS and the team has a defensive concept of playing two high SS instead of an extra OLB to be strong against check down and the run. The team might believe Love is better against the pass than Ryan

Ryan is a good SS and will find a spot playing elsewhere or here later. For me he is a player surplus to needs and unfortunately the team is hard against the cap so his money is needed elsewhere. On the other hand this may be just a temporary FA situation as the team and Ryan work outa longer deal with a better immediate cap number.

Once again I wonder if his cap $ will yield either Poona or Big Al or another NT so the team doesn’t go into the draft needing any position.

Curious situation.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

Who's better? And why replace Neal with a more expensive Love?
Love is vastly better than Neal at every aspect of the position

getnasty

Reaction score
To me they both just seem like guys you want on your team. Good locker room guys, play hard, smart, solid football players.

The thing that is weird to me about both is that they're both still young and neither is going to get a contact to suggest they're anything other then mediocre.

I have a feeling that Love was not part of their plans but when they saw they had a chance they snagged him. In doing so Ryan Neal was probably bother after he balled out last year and has ask for a release.

Pure speculation on my part here.

Jville

Reaction score
Improved tackling is a high priority for 2023.

#1 Julian Love turns in fewer missed tackles than a typical NFL safety. He is among the very best.

#2 Julian is 4 inches plus shorter. Which aids change of direction and as well as better leverage to stop ball carriers in their tracks.

#3 Link to quote in other thread >>> https://www.seahawks.net/threads/ryan-neal.185823/post-2775524

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
By signing Love and not re-signing Neal, the team clearing believed that Love is a better player than Neal, right?
I have no idea what they are thinking. I know there are multiple ways and positions they can play Love. But i just dont know exactly why they signed Love... fir me its kind of a wait and see kind of thing but ill take your word for it.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I have no idea what they are thinking. I know there are multiple ways and positions they can play Love. But i just dont know exactly why they signed Love... fir me its kind of a wait and see kind of thing but ill take your word for it.
Whaaaaat? Wow bro. Love is a freak. Neal got abused a lot and trucked a few times and is considered lower echelon compared to J Love. Giants fans were pissed off they didn’t retain him. Couldn’t afford him basically

nwHawk

Reaction score
Rumor was he turned down a bigger deal during the season thinking he would get more in the offseason. Apparently, he took less with the Seahawks that what the Giants offered during the season.