Just saw Zach Miller at Bellevue Square

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Can we keep Miller and move on from some of the other guys? McKoy is a free agent? Why would we want to resign him? Talk about injury prone.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1rqjodgs said:
I can see John and Pete bringing back Miller next year and signing him to a contract based on how many games he can play in. In industry, we call that "piece work". However, his agent may not allow such a contract.

Veteran's contracts are guaranteed if they are on the roster for day one, they get paid for the whole year. This arrangement is only legal -- where he gets paid per game -- if he is cut before the first game, and then signed after. Of course, if we cut him, he could get signed elsewhere.

It has nothing to do with his agent...

Rat

Reaction score
You can't depend on him to be healthy. I wouldn't bother with him next year. At the very least, I hope the front office goes about the draft and free agency like they would if he wasn't with the team next year.

Rat

Reaction score
How many of those games was he limited because he was hobbled? Missed games isn't everything when it comes to injury proneness.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Rat":118rr9na said:
You can't depend on him to be healthy. I wouldn't bother with him next year. At the very least, I hope the front office goes about the draft and free agency like they would if he wasn't with the team next year.

He's had one major injury in his four years here. Moeaki has a far more extensive injury history and Willson/Helfet get dinged up every few games. That's football.

Rat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3gtnqjms said:
Rat":3gtnqjms said:

He's had one major injury in his four years here. Moeaki has a far more extensive injury history and Willson/Helfet get dinged up every few games. That's football.

I'm not arguing that Moeaki should be on the team over Miller. Moeaki being injury prone himself has nothing to do with Miller anyway.

I don't like using roster space on aging players who you can't depend on to be on the field. If they want to keep Miller on, I'm OK with it, but I don't want him to be the reason we don't sign/draft someone who potentially could be the guy for us.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rat":3qp9mlh9 said:
DavidSeven":3qp9mlh9 said:
Rat":3qp9mlh9 said:

I'm not arguing that Moeaki should be on the team over Miller. Moeaki being injury prone himself has nothing to do with Miller anyway.

I don't like using roster space on aging players who you can't depend on to be on the field. If they want to keep Miller on, I'm OK with it, but I don't want him to be the reason we don't sign/draft someone who potentially could be the guy for us.

They should definitely draft a Zach Miller-type TE, if they can, to develop behind Miller. Signing a big name TE prospect probably can't happen with the salary they have committed to extending Wagner and Wilson.

Rat

Reaction score
The free agent TE class is potentially very strong with Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, and Jermaine Gresham among the names out there. I'm hardly a cap expect though, so I don't know how likely any of those guys are.

Jville

Reaction score
Here we go again ....... another player targeted for a political witch hunt to support an outside agenda.

Rat

Reaction score
Jville":34de9ao1 said:
Here we go again ....... another player targeted for a political witch hunt to support an outside agenda.
He's aging and coming off a serious injury. Schneider and Carroll will almost definitely have the same discussion we're having in this thread. They're too smart not to.

Jville

Reaction score
Rat":3mjci71t said:
Jville":3mjci71t said:
He's aging and coming off a serious injury. Schneider and Carroll will almost definitely have the same discussion we're having in this thread. They're too smart not to.

I don't believe that they look at their team in that light.

I think they will review the performance of everyone, after the conclusion of the season, with a very different style and purpose. Always compete.

Rat

Reaction score
Jville":2eu1de4a said:
Rat":2eu1de4a said:
Jville":2eu1de4a said:

I think they will review the performance of everyone, after the conclusion of the season, with a very different style and purpose. Always compete.
With all the roster-turning they've done since they've been here, you don't think they'll have a serious discussion of whether his roster spot might be better used on someone else?

Pete Carroll's platitudes don't make anyone's spot on this team safe.

Jville

Reaction score
Rat":2ryderbz said:
Jville":2ryderbz said:
Rat":2ryderbz said:
Jville":2ryderbz said:

With all the roster-turning they've done since they've been here, you don't think they'll have a serious discussion of whether his roster spot might be better used on someone else?

I think their discussions are conducted with a different perspective and style. They look at roster spots in a different light. Roster spots are an open opportunity to compete. The Zack Miller they have an investment and interest in is ..... a fully healed and focused competitor for the 2015 campaign.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rat":3j6frp0o said:
Jville":3j6frp0o said:
Rat":3j6frp0o said:
Jville":3j6frp0o said:

We're a better team with Miller's pass pro and reliable hands than are without him. You only save $3 million by releasing him, which is not nearly enough to sign any of the three names you mentioned above. He was playing great before he got hurt. At the beginning of the season, Russell Wilson dubbed Miller "The Big Fundamental," calling him his most vital and fundamentally sound target. Keeping Miller is a no-brainer if he is healthy.

Rat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2xxe2wzp said:
We're a better team with Miller's pass pro and reliable hands than are without him. You only save $3 million by releasing him, which is not nearly enough to sign any of the three names you mentioned above. He was playing great before he got hurt. At the beginning of the season, Russell Wilson dubbed Miller "The Big Fundamental," calling him his most vital and fundamentally sound target. Keeping Miller is a no-brainer if he is healthy.

He does do a lot of the little things that help this offense run better. My point with that last comment was that I can't see our front office not having the same discussion we are. He may be a bargain, but at the same time, we have a lot of guys to pay. That $3 million could look much more significant at some point. This team hasn't been shy to let older guys go in the past. Red Bryant also did all the little things, and was an emotional leader. You could argue that he was the Zach Miller of the defense.

I'm not banking on signing one of those big three, but I absolutely think TE needs to be a priority in the offseason. Possibly in the first round of the draft, depending on what's there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rat":2u2yqkx7 said:
hawknation2015":2u2yqkx7 said:

He does do a lot of the little things that help this offense run better. My point with that last comment was that I can't see our front office not having the same discussion we are. He may be a bargain, but at the same time, we have a lot of guys to pay. That $3 million could look much more significant at some point. This team hasn't been shy to let older guys go in the past. Red Bryant also did all the little things, and was an emotional leader. You could argue that he was the Zach Miller of the defense.

I'm not banking on signing one of those big three, but I absolutely think TE needs to be a priority in the offseason. Possibly in the first round of the draft, depending on what's there.

The Red Bryant situation was different because they needed the $5.5 million to re-sign Michael Bennett. I predicted Bryant would be released. There is no similar situation on the Seahawks' roster at TE. Willson is a different kind of TE and has a ways to go to develop into a consistent threat.

Rat

Reaction score
It's not an apples to apples comparison, but it's one of a good number of examples of this regime being willing to part with older vets.

All I'm saying is that I believe they'll at the very least have the discussion.

Jville

Reaction score
Competition is welcomed.

With regard to Zach Miller I would add that ....

Zack tied the passing game and running game together. His historic snap counts bear out that they like him on the field as much as possible. His field time includes his important role on special teams. Zach has also been the recipient of a lot of public appreciation from team mates. Leadership and teaching skills are among those attributes that highlight core players.