Justin Britt and the O-line

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I love the competition aspect about this team as a whole, but this week needs to be the last week that Cable is moving people around. I have a lot of concern about teams throwing stunts at us left and right just like the beginning of last season and we don't know how to handle it because 5 men have only played together for 3 days.

Preseason is a bit buttered up in that regard.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
StoneCold":zcw2q29i said:
xgeoff":zcw2q29i said:
OkieHawk":zcw2q29i said:
Seahawkfan80":zcw2q29i said:
The Britt experiment may have been on course all along. Put him on one side of the center to learn the reads there, then put him on the other side to learn the reads there on OUR TEAM. Then finish off with the final position at CENTER. Know the reads so he can call them and the qb can go play football with less on his mind. Just thoughts and ramblings from a football fan. :mrgreen:

That's actually a good take on the situation, and one that I hadn't considered.

I don't believe this for a second, but it is an entertaining thought :) Bottom line, give the coaches a LOT of credit for finding a good place for Britt. I, like a lot of people, was ready to ride that guy out of town on a rail...

I also find this entertaining and doubt it was a long term project from teh git go, but as a discussion this off season?

Cable: What do we do about Britt?
Pete: What do we do about center?

:idea:

Cable: What do you think about Britt at center? He knows both sides of the line...

yup

hawknation2016

Reaction score
“We’re pretty settled right now, however, we’re just allowing the competition to play itself out and we don’t want to cut off anybody’s opportunities,” Carroll said. “It’s more likely not to change a lot than it will, but we want to keep the competition open, and the guys are showing that they’re worthy of that. So we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/24 ... as-cowboys

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2zpbqeep said:
“We’re pretty settled right now, however, we’re just allowing the competition to play itself out and we don’t want to cut off anybody’s opportunities,” Carroll said. “It’s more likely not to change a lot than it will, but we want to keep the competition open, and the guys are showing that they’re worthy of that. So we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/24 ... as-cowboys
Interesting given Webb's reps at LT, but good to hear none the less.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/768948048764383232[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/768971844732923906[/tweet]

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I'm afraid we're still going into the season without a LT. I'm pretty happy with the interior and I think Gilliam is a serviceable, slightly below average right tackle but we have no LT.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2c5q3xvv said:
I'm afraid we're still going into the season without a LT. I'm pretty happy with the interior and I think Gilliam is a serviceable, slightly below average right tackle but we have no LT.

Sowell has been fine. Zero pressures allowed by Sowell at LT in Games 1 and 3. Looking a lot more physical than expected. The only player who has managed a pressure against Sowell was Pro Bowler Everson Griffen. Against the better rushers, he will probably struggle, but we should be able to game plan for those rushers; use play action, TE or extra blocker on left side, roll Wilson out, etc. A lot of positive things to take away from the way this new offensive line is playing.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
hawknation2016":n2w7j7yf said:
Against the better rushers, he will probably struggle, but we should be able to game plan for those rushers; use play action, TE or extra blocker on left side, roll Wilson out, etc

Well thats what I noticed last night,we did that against the Cowboys porous DLINE, we either kept a TE in on the left or had the RB chip on his way out, thats a fine way to work around a flaw but it does limit things unnecessarily.

Hawks46

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3usjtd0d said:
Seahawkfan80":3usjtd0d said:
The Britt experiment may have been on course all along. Put him on one side of the center to learn the reads there, then put him on the other side to learn the reads there on OUR TEAM. Then finish off with the final position at CENTER. Know the reads so he can call them and the qb can go play football with less on his mind. Just thoughts and ramblings from a football fan. :mrgreen:

It's highly unlikely that they drafted a guy in the 2nd round to be a Tackle, just hoping he wouldn't cut it and end up at Center in 2 years.

My take is the same as it was: Britt was a bit unrefined coming out of a spread offensive (with spread offensive line splits) in college and needed some work. He was a mixed bag his rookie year, then they moved him to LG. Not because he "sucked so bad" at RT, but because they had absolutely NO other viable options at LG. This year, he went to Center because they had Gilliam, Webb and Sowell on the roster, and they like what they see from Fant and Poole.

I'm not saying he was lighting it up at RT, but you typically give a guy more than one year to acclimate to a position in the NFL before cutting bait. It makes sense that he'd be good at Center because by all reports he's smart and a hard worker, and he's physically a superior athlete.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ifedi was grabbing jersey for like 4-5 seconds on Wilson's TD pass to Lockett. That's going to get called in the reg season almost every time, wouldn't it?

JPatera76

Reaction score
Crizilla":2uvnxcjp said:
Ifedi was grabbing jersey for like 4-5 seconds on Wilson's TD pass to Lockett. That's going to get called in the reg season almost every time, wouldn't it?

I think it depends, I believe (which im probably wrong tbh) when the defender disengages that's when the Offensive player needs to as well, and hand placement inside the pads vs outside.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Crizilla":f9nhuifs said:

I think there are holding on every play, just gotta be good at concealing it like the Cowboys O-line. I saw that play and Webb also pull some jersey but not as long as Ifedi did. The crazy thing about Russell scrambling is that the ref is paying more attention to him than his blockers, that's a bonus to our side as long as a penalty is not in front of the ref.

JPatera76

Reaction score

chris98251

Reaction score
Cowboys have perfected Synchronized Holding, it's when you do it solo you get caught.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawks46":10qqn40i said:
OkieHawk":10qqn40i said:
Seahawkfan80":10qqn40i said:

It's highly unlikely that they drafted a guy in the 2nd round to be a Tackle, just hoping he wouldn't cut it and end up at Center in 2 years.

My take is the same as it was: Britt was a bit unrefined coming out of a spread offensive (with spread offensive line splits) in college and needed some work. He was a mixed bag his rookie year, then they moved him to LG. Not because he "sucked so bad" at RT, but because they had absolutely NO other viable options at LG. This year, he went to Center because they had Gilliam, Webb and Sowell on the roster, and they like what they see from Fant and Poole.

I'm not saying he was lighting it up at RT, but you typically give a guy more than one year to acclimate to a position in the NFL before cutting bait. It makes sense that he'd be good at Center because by all reports he's smart and a hard worker, and he's physically a superior athlete.
A couple years late but he was my Adopt a Rookie. One for two isn't bad given I was absolutely right about Lockett. It's looking like I have an outside chance this year if my boy Procise keeps it up.

sc85sis

Reaction score

Latest posts