Kaepernick and Reid end their lawsuit against the NFL

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Sorry mrblitz » but the latest scuttlebutt has C-Kap signing with the Panthers or, ....wait for it.....

the Patriots.

(Source= radio reports.)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":321x3k5z said:
rlkats":321x3k5z said:
Palmegranite":321x3k5z said:
rlkats":321x3k5z said:
All politics aside, all I see is he was paid more not playing football than he EVER could as a horrible one read QB.
Don't you mean horrible one read QB with:
NFL records for most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single game (181 yards), most rushing yards by a quarterback in a single postseason (264 yards) that also led his team to their first Super Bowl appearance  in almost 2 decades?

This guy sounds a bit like Cam Newton from 5 years ago.
What did Cam get paid this year?

Yes his major awards was running. Take that away and there you have a one read qb. You need an example? How about EVERY game against the hawks. How about the super bowl. His arm and shitty placement lost the game. Bottom line his running made him famous, his one reads were a joke. Every hawk fan and most Niners (honest) would say the same.
I hate to bring this up again, but no, this is wrong. He was NOT a "one read" QB. That wasn't his weakness. It never has been. What follows could be noticed if you watched him carefully, but there is no need because a former 49ers coach who worked with him spilled the beans: reading defenses wasn't his weakness; anticipatory throwing was (along with his elongated release, which exacerbated that weakness).

What appeared to be "one read" and run was really (usually) a presnap decision to run based on what appeared to be man coverage. It was a pretty successful strategy, considering his crucial runs through his short career.

Where he began to struggle was after the Cardinals game in 2015, when his long release and inability to throw with anticipation resulted in four INTs and two pick sixes. After that game he was even less trustworthy of his eyes (again, anticipatory throwing was his weakness... an inability to trust what he sees developing before it fully develops). You can see this very, very clearly in the Green Bay Packers game that followed shortly after: on one pass, he quickly made the correct read, to Anquan Boldin, but then hesitated. He hesitated because he was still gunshy, and was unwilling to let it rip with anticipation. He then double clutched, then threw very late, and one hopped it because the defense had finally started to close the hole around Boldin.

So, to summarize: reading defense wasn't Kaepernick's problem. Anticipation was. He had to see it before he threw it. That weakness was exacerbated by a long throwing motion, and it got much worse after a terrible game against the Cardinals where that weakness was fully exploited.

He did not return to functionality until the 2016 season, but at this point he still wasn't really throwing with anticipation, but was instead being extra cautious, taking more sacks and throwing the ball away more.

EDIT- to elaborate: what looks like Kaepernick freezing after his first read is covered is not that at all. What is really happening is he is making the right read but then hesitating to throw the ball because he has a need to see it open before he throws it (as opposed to throwing the WR open, or releasing the ball prior to the WR makes his break). He generally made the right read during his career, but failed to release the ball with the necessary timing of a successful NFL QB due to his hesitancy to throw with anticipation, along with his long release, which made him doubly gunshy. This was always a mental block, but it wasn't what you all think it was.

Nice summary. And 100% agreed.

The "the getting through multiple reads" things was also always kind of dumb, as it's relying on an understanding of how NFL passing plays work that hasn't really been that relevant for well over a decade now.

Unlike the old days when QBs were going through progressions all the time, in the modern NFL everyone is running route concepts, and if your pre-snap diagnosis of the defense is correct you're not so much going through progressions as you're going to the designated receiver for that defense, or at most, reading the key defender who has been put in conflict and going where he doesn't. The only time progressions really come up is if you've misdiagnosed the defense and have to go to the back side of the play that's designed to defeat a different concept.

It's why almost exclusively these days it's one read and checkdown, or if you've misread the defense it's front side misread to backside, or at most, frontside misread to backside to checkdown. This is why in the last 10-15 years time to throw has decreased, and completion percentage has increased.

Interestingly enough though, it's the reliance on force concepts that make Kaepernick's problem with seeing people open even more of a problem, as most of those routes are designed to have the throw come out as soon as the force defender declares, and before the guy is open.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Lack of anticipatory throwing is just as fundamental and fatal weakness for a QB as being one-read.

sutz

Reaction score
After all the poutrage about Kaep, I think this is hilarious. :twisted:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
sutz":3l97lbe5 said:
After all the poutrage about Kaep, I think this is hilarious. :twisted:

If a settlement of 60-80 million dollars at this stage does anything, it confirms that it wasn't ever anywhere close to just "poutrage," my dude.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":4iegth76 said:
Lack of anticipatory throwing is just as fundamental and fatal weakness for a QB as being one-read.
I think it’s MORE fatal in some cases. At least a one read qb will let it rip. You’re more likely to win throwing two tds and two ints than zero of either but taking seven sacks and only converting one third down.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1mu86u7g said:
MontanaHawk05":1mu86u7g said:
I think it’s MORE fatal in some cases. At least a one read qb will let it rip. You’re more likely to win throwing two tds and two ints than zero of either but taking seven sacks and only converting one third down.

Agreed.

And it's what made him ultimately a bottom tier starting QB or top tier backup QB.

When talking about flaws in his game people have a nasty habit of ignoring that EVERY QB has flaws in their game, and even more so, the flaws in the games of the guys you're really comping him to when you're saying he's a bottom tier starter or top tier backup.

With that comp, we're talking a bunch of guys who don't have the arm strength to even throw the full route tree, can't get their reads right to begin with, have long careers of throwing as many or more INTs than TDs, and so on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Kap can still be effective in specific offenses. The guy has uber talent in terms of arm strength and mobility and can throw on the run.

I agree though on his elongated delivery and issues with anticipation. He had that deliver since college but he could get away with it with ball velocity. Greg Roman gave him pre-determined reads , a great run game and a ton of play action...which is exactly what Roman is giving Lamar Jackson in Baltimore.

I'm still a fan of Kap. I'd have liked him to stay on, but I don't delude myself inot thinking he could be a top teir QB the way many seem to think who have issues with his continued unemployment.

Collusion or not, he'd be employed if he could be a top tier QB. As it is, he can be a very good backup and lower tier starter and maybe even midling starter in the right scheme.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":35e7sas7 said:
The NFL settled because the lawsuit would have given the player's union access to NFL documents they could use in negotiations.

That was the reason the player's union went all in backing up Kaep in this lawsuit. They're pissed at him he settled.

The union didn't care about him, what they wanted was access to certain communications between owners that they could bring to the bartering table.

Not because of any collusion evidence against Kaep.

They're paying out 80 million to one guy to save paying out an extra billion to the players two years from now.

Exactly. There were three sides to this story. The owners prepping for a lockout was one of them. The other one that no one wants to talk about is the official scouting reports of his play and his physical shape since he has been away from football.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":soxb5xfs said:
The NFL settled because the lawsuit would have given the player's union access to NFL documents they could use in negotiations.

That was the reason the player's union went all in backing up Kaep in this lawsuit. They're pissed at him he settled.

The union didn't care about him, what they wanted was access to certain communications between owners that they could bring to the bartering table.

They're paying out 80 million to one guy to save paying out an extra billion to the players two years from now.
Well, that is certainly a reasonable motive for the NFLPA, and even the NFL for settling, but that is quite immaterial to whether or not Kaepernick’s lawyers had evidence of collusion.

My question is this: why would the NFL be forced to hand over communications to the NFLPA unless they LOST, and how could they lose unless there was actual evidence of collusion?

mrt144

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":178sy9m4 said:
The_Z_Man":178sy9m4 said:

Well, that is certainly a reasonable motive for the NFLPA, and even the NFL for settling, but that is quite immaterial to whether or not Kaepernick’s lawyers had evidence of collusion.

My question is this: why would the NFL be forced to hand over communications to the NFLPA unless they LOST, and how could they lose unless there was actual evidence of collusion?

Usually in civil litigation both sides enter a pretrial discovery process to uncover evidence that might support their case. It'd be pretty amazing if the NFL somehow could have avoided that and still won their case on the notion that "the plaintiff doesn't have any evidence because we purposefully withheld it prior to trial. Oh, by the way, here are the purposefully curated emails that only support our case and the plaintiff can't see more than that even though there might be more."

For the NFLPA discovery was valuable in itself.
For the overall case discovery was valuable as well.

rlkats

Reaction score
Here is the major problem. Kaep HAD HAD HAD an offer from the Denver Broncos. He turned it down because he felt that he was starter material with a large salary. He did not sign because of the cash offer. Then he opted for free agency. I’m not saying no team owners talked and said don’t sign the guy, but can it be this collusion thing was played perfect from the beginning by Kaep? Knowing darn well he would sue and the NFL would pay to shut him up. To me the guy is $ driven. If he really felt he was talented he could have signed a short term deal with the donkeys and if he was as good as some are thinking (blindly). He then could have written his own check.
But then again it is easier to protest (rightfully so) and sue the nfl for collusion to get easy money than it is to perfect his craft of being a great QB.

mrt144

Reaction score
rlkats":32jbri9l said:
Here is the major problem. Kaep HAD HAD HAD an offer from the Denver Broncos. He turned it down because he felt that he was starter material with a large salary. He did not sign because of the cash offer. Then he opted for free agency. I’m not saying no team owners talked and said don’t sign the guy, but can it be this collusion thing was played perfect from the beginning by Kaep? Knowing darn well he would sue and the NFL would pay to shut him up. To me the guy is $ driven. If he really felt he was talented he could have signed a short term deal with the donkeys and if he was as good as some are thinking (blindly). He then could have written his own check.
But then again it is easier to protest (rightfully so) and sue the nfl for collusion to get easy money than it is to perfect his craft of being a great QB.

In what way is it easier to defer 4 years worth of salary on the hope that you'll win or settle your case in excess of that sum? Also, how bad is the NFL at managing situations that it was possibly easier for Kaep, yes, that Kaep, to pull one over on them by simply being patient?

How broken is the NFL that patience is more lucrative than actually playing?

chris98251

Reaction score
rlkats":30u6f5xf said:

TO TO TO be a back up, at that time he was still a starter in many peoples minds in a system that allowed him to play his style.

rlkats

Reaction score
chris98251":9dmdf2nf said:
rlkats":9dmdf2nf said:

TO TO TO be a back up, at that time he was still a starter in many peoples minds in a system that allowed him to play his style.

Ok I agree true, but still he would have been the starter in no time. Because we all know how good the broncos QB’s were.

rlkats

Reaction score
mrt144":2e4lebzf said:
rlkats":2e4lebzf said:

In what way is it easier to defer 4 years worth of salary on the hope that you'll win or settle your case in excess of that sum? Also, how bad is the NFL at managing situations that it was possibly easier for Kaep, yes, that Kaep, to pull one over on them by simply being patient?

How broken is the NFL that patience is more lucrative than actually playing?

If you wearing the tinfoil hat and a conspiracy theorist it kind of plays that way. Hahaha

Marvin49

Reaction score
massari":y17ct3q8 said:
HawkGA":y17ct3q8 said:
That+ his Nike money. Being a "victim" truly pays in America. Sacrifice everything!

Jussie Smollett just wanted some Kaepernick money.

See, thats the kind of comment that drives me crazy.

When did Kap "play victim". His social stance is kneeling for OTHER PEOPLE who don't have a voice. All he did as kneel and answer questions posed to him directly. It was EVERYONE ELSE who blew this thing up.

That's why I've said from the start that the league played this wrong from the very beginning. All they had to do was step away and let him do his thing and it would have blown over. Instead, many owners exposed themselves as out of touch and let them selves be bullied by POTUS.

Jussie Smollett? Please. That dude is a disgrace. He has done nothing but hurt the cause. He pisses me off because all his saga does is give people who wear red hats (this isn't pointed at you) something to point at and say its ALL BS. Its not.

mrt144

Reaction score
Marvin49":2cb8k31a said:
massari":2cb8k31a said:
HawkGA":2cb8k31a said:
That+ his Nike money. Being a "victim" truly pays in America. Sacrifice everything!

Jussie Smollett just wanted some Kaepernick money.

See, thats the kind of comment that drives me crazy.

When did Kap "play victim". His social stance is kneeling for OTHER PEOPLE who don't have a voice. All he did as kneel and answer questions posed to him directly. It was EVERYONE ELSE who blew this thing up.

That's why I've said from the start that the league played this wrong from the very beginning. All they had to do was step away and let him do his thing and it would have blown over. Instead, many owners exposed themselves as out of touch and let them selves be bullied by POTUS.

Jussie Smollett? Please. That dude is a disgrace. He has done nothing but hurt the cause. He pisses me off because all his saga does is give people who wear red hats (this isn't pointed at you) something to point at and say its ALL BS. Its not.

NFL Owners are collectively the Principal Skinner of our existence.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2e761616 said:
Marvin49":2e761616 said:

What about people who wear blue hats? lol

There are many disgraces, Smollett is just one in a long line of hoaxes that have been perpetrated over the last few years.

I think the underlying problem is that the internet connecting everyone has made everyone feel "small", we are no longer in little ponds where every fish has their moment to be noticed, so the need to feel important has created a society where everyone needs to be special in some way, and if you aren't particular motivated or focused, or athletic, or talented, or pretty enough to make duck lips on Instagram, the best way you can achieve attention is by being more pathetic than someone else... hence the victim culture.

You see it every day on Facebook. Someone gets a frakking cold, you have to listen to a week of posts on how much they are suffering...

One wonders what Kaep might have achieved had he put more energy into being a better football player.

That's one way to looking about it, but people being beaten up and killed because of their sexual preference is a real thing. Someone PRETENDING it happened to them for some other gain is a huge disservice to the people it really happens to and personally its repugnant to me.

There is a certain brand of people who think a certain way politically who will grab hold of the Smollett story and use it is a dagger in any argument on this topic as if its the rule and not the exception. That does actual damage.