Kam and his tight end woes bothering me.

Joey13091

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":63jdizjm said:
A-Dog":63jdizjm said:
Seems like we're basing this on a very questionable PI call, and another play against a very good tight end where he ran in front and was inches away from knocking the ball away. In a game in the freezing cold that was his first back from injury.

Sure, he hasn't made as many big plays this year, but he hasn't been around as much. You do not take Kam out on passing downs. That's just ridiculous. Remember how the secondary was playing early in the season when he wasn't there keeping everybody in the right place?

Relax people.

There is valid concern about his coverage at this point. Checkout Danny Kelly's article at fieldgulls.com, which breaks down Kam's performance against Minnesota. Nearly every big play the Vikings made were because of gaffs by Kam. The article is very detailed, and mega alarming. I would be more comfortable with McCray at this point. Kam was biting on things he normally doesn't fall for and he failed at jumping a route, which resulted in 20+yd play. It was awful.

I hope he comes around soon, or he will be a big liability against Carolina.

Crazy that'd you'd be more comfortable with McCray than Kam. He did make a game changing play on the Strip of the ball of AP.

I'd much rather have the experienced, best ss in the league on the field any day over McCray. Yes McCray has looked good. But that's crazy talk.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2yuvastc said:
RussB":2yuvastc said:
Why doesnt he do this anymore. Whenever teams used to pass his way to a TE or reciever he would either lay them out or pick it off. Now they just run right passed him most of the time.

The NFL is putting an emphasis on hitting a defenseless receiver so I can understand the hesitation.
Those hits are 100% legal and allowed as it is below head and shoulder(not head is used) to hit with.I doubt Kam is done with those hits,he just is a step slow in reacting and it pisses me off as I want those hits happening like most of us except the safety freaks.GO HAWKS!!!

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":23693sdd said:
I can't figure out what a difference it is from 2013 when this D would shut down Graham, Davis, Thomas etc. Is it all Kam? If I recall KJ Wright used to help cover the tight ends too. Are we not doing that as much anymore? Is it as simple as teams have figured out a way to beat this D usring the tight end.

Ok this is really reaching but thinking of any guys we are missing from then, was Malcolm Smith part of our TE coverage in the past?

I honestly think this is just fans picking nits. Teams attack us in a different way in '13 vs. '15 but if you look at it objectively ... this defense where the talking point is "they can't cover the tight end, its a huge weakness in our game" gave up 4,668 total yards vs. 4,378 in '13 for a difference over an entire season of 290 yards or 18 yards per game. This year they played the run much better, gave up a little more to the pass but at the end of the day were statistically, from a total yards standpoint, very close to the vaunted '13 defense.

In today's game with all the resources fans have its easy to cherry pick a few plays a game and draw a conclusion that "so and so player screwed up and they just aren't the same". To be thorough (and not just cherry pick a few plays to try and prove whatever point you are making) go back and look at every pass play and see how Kam played? You could find mistakes made by all of our guys in the secondary because sometimes the other team makes a few plays. Its happened to Kam, Sherm, Earl at times this year (just like it did in '13 as well). You would also find on alot of these drop backs Kam held up very well in coverage, just like Kam, Sherm and Earl did. Its a team game and they are all links in the chain.

Personally, I think due to Kam's holdout he has become the designated whipping boy this year so fans are paying more attention to his mistakes vs the other guys. He played an entire game in Minnesota, they passed for 146 total yards and fans are complaining about his pass coverage!?

He also made the pivotal play that ultimately won us the game but that gets overlooked because the other team completed a few passes while he was in coverage.

RussB

Reaction score
Well since the tight end seam route is the weak spot in cover 3, why dont they just play man to man in situations when they think that route might be coming. Man to man can probably shut that route down alot of the time.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Other teams are not stupid. They're not running tight ends in the same patterns, avoiding Kam and exploiting the holes in cover 3. They watch film.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Olsen could have a big day but as long as we shut down the run and take away the outside it won't be enough on offense to keep up with Seattle. I think Chancellor will do well enough to help us get the win. I don't expect a shutdown but I think Kam has less rust this week and knows his role on Olsen is key. He will get help from Thomas at times too.

Laloosh

Reaction score
vin.couve12":sdva54k2 said:
Haven't read anything since, but sorry if I offended anyone.

If you're ever inclined to break down a play, happy to slap it into a gif and send you a link to break it down. A lot of us really enjoy those posts.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
One thing we know, Carolina will test that route in the seam a handful of times.

I think the rest of the NFL is onto the cover 3. Not that they can pass at will, but they know the routes that won't work and take them out of the playbook. Which explains the drop in picks.

But the beautiful simplicity of this D, what is left are not easy throws. Mid to deep outs, back shoulder throws, those will always be tough for most QBs. Seam routes can have disguised coverages.

Olsen is a good player, he will get his. But Kam is a good player, and he will get his too.

And I think Kam is going to take his poor performance last week very seriously.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
It's not just Kam. There is a specific spot in our cover 3 where the TE burns us. It's where zone responsibility shifts from Kam to Earl. Look at both of Eifert's TDs in the Cincinnati game to see the soft spot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1mchhrm0 said:
Since the bye week we've handled tight ends pretty well.

We've barely played any real quarterbacks in that span, though.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Kam has his best game of the season today, and these concerns lose any remaining relevance.

Just a feeling...