Kam Chancellor will miss Week 1 (Confirmed)

HansGruber

Reaction score
Alvin Keels has only represented two starters: Maxwell and Chancellor.

Go look at his Twitter feed and website. The entirety of his client base is undrafted guys, late round picks, and third stringers.

I think his agent got paid on the Maxwell deal, saw dollar signs, and is trying to double dip.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
HansGruber":1pzgq0dt said:
seahawk12thman":1pzgq0dt said:
CodeWarrior":1pzgq0dt said:
onanygivensunday":1pzgq0dt said:
A friend of a friend that knows somebody on the team told me today...

Kam has been participating in team meetings via Skype and his holdout for a better contract has been a cleverly disguised ruse... and Kam is currently healing from an injury and faking a holdout to avoid being on the PUP list.

I don't buy it... but I thought that I would pass it along.

Probability a player participates in said ruse and forfeits game checks? Zero.

Up to team if they enforce fines....
Not for game checks. That is enforced by the NFL as part of the CBA. Seahawks have no say, beyond Paul Allen reaching out to Goodell. And I don't see that happening as it would kill leverage for all the other owners.

Nope. If Kam gives up game checks, he won't get that money back. Which just makes the holdout all the more bizarre.

And for those asking, his agent is Alvin Keeps.

In that case Kam is even dumber than I thought. I don't blame his agent, Kam is a grown man and if he is ignorant, that is his problem. In other words, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the consequences for missing games. One Kam realized this was a losing proposition, he should have reversed course. Had kam played the first game, nobody would have give a crap.

My feeling is we don't need him against the Rams, the Packers however, is a different story.

Fade

Reaction score
Artizam":1kewv989 said:
Here's a question, Kam says they are less than 1 mill from an agreement. He's missing $267k each game, plus missing out on a $250k bonus for game 1, so after four games, he's down a million in fines, and hasn't made any progress. What's he thinking?

He is trying to get a whole new deal a year early, while getting a bump in pay $3M+ for 2016. He won't play for $3.9M in 2017 he will hold out again if necessary for a new deal starting in 2017.

*edit* As for the minimal differences apart. Kam is a man of "principal", and the Seahawks are being "petty".

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Even if Kam was to come in and honor his contract, you think a lot of fans are pretty much going to think twice about him from now on?

London12

Reaction score
Bullmeister":1ni6bah4 said:
Our Man in Chicago":1ni6bah4 said:
Alvin Keels is really the man we should all be mad at.

Just look at this douchebag advising Kam:

Alvin Keels

Just looking at this cocky looking photo makes me want to punch the monitor.

His flip phone looks straight out of 2005, can't be doing too well.

marko358

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2msqw55s said:
Even if Kam was to come in and honor his contract, you think a lot of fans are pretty much going to think twice about him from now on?

Not really sure what this even means. Care to elaborate?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
ZagHawk":sw4lsz4h said:
He didn't do that. He skipped preseason and screwed the team. There is no way he can honor his contract now.

Basis4day

Reaction score
kearly":1kdnds1b said:
CalgaryHawk":1kdnds1b said:
John Clayton was on the radio yesterday stating that the most the Hawks could get for Kam is a 4th round pick because the team that traded him would also have to work out a new contract with Kam.

I don't want the Seahawks to trade Kam, but I think Clayton is off the mark here. First off, we've seen plenty of big trades that involved contracts being re-worked. You needn't look any further than Seattle sending a ransom to Minnesota for Percy Harvin and that required reworking his deal. I could list many more examples, there are no shortage of blockbuster deals that are not at all impeded by also needing a new contract.

Secondly, it's been reported that many teams have contacted Seattle about dealing for Kam, and they would of course do this with knowledge that a new deal would be necessary in a trade scenario. Kam isn't just some safety, he's an all-pro in his prime years. You're probably looking at a 1st or 2nd round pick in a deal.

That said, I wouldn't endorse a trade unless Seattle was blown away with an offer. If some team offered a 1st and a 3rd or something like that, then Seattle could argue that they didn't cave to Chancellor, but that they were given an offer they couldn't turn down.

To be fair Clayton did acknowledge the exceptions for certain players but those exceptions are rare. It is important to remember that Harvin only had one year left on his deal when the Hawks traded for him making a new deal a forgone conclusion. The Graham trade also involved a first rd pick, but didn't require a new deal. Kam still has three years of club control left. There are also examples of elite players getting traded for much less like Lesean Mccoy for Kiki Alonso straight up or Harvin to the Jets for a conditional 4-6 rd pick.

While Kam is an all-pro in his prime, it's at the position of Strong Safety. Unlike Harvin or Graham it isn't as financially appealing of a position like a WR or an elite TE playing like a WR. Kam is worth a lot more than he is making, but the market is going to dictate he make a lot less strictly because he plays SS.

mikeak

Reaction score
HansGruber":2cx1c4v3 said:
seahawk12thman":2cx1c4v3 said:
CodeWarrior":2cx1c4v3 said:
onanygivensunday":2cx1c4v3 said:
A friend of a friend that knows somebody on the team told me today...

Kam has been participating in team meetings via Skype and his holdout for a better contract has been a cleverly disguised ruse... and Kam is currently healing from an injury and faking a holdout to avoid being on the PUP list.

I don't buy it... but I thought that I would pass it along.

Probability a player participates in said ruse and forfeits game checks? Zero.

Up to team if they enforce fines....
Not for game checks. That is enforced by the NFL as part of the CBA. Seahawks have no say, beyond Paul Allen reaching out to Goodell. And I don't see that happening as it would kill leverage for all the other owners.

Nope. If Kam gives up game checks, he won't get that money back. Which just makes the holdout all the more bizarre.

And for those asking, his agent is Alvin Keeps.

You are 100% correct on the first part but that doesn't mean that you are 100% correct when saying he won't get money back.

Part of the new deal could be an increase in salary for 2015 that after game checks are lost gives him the same amount as if he had been here the whole year.

I think that is very unlikely and I agree that he probably is out those money but it can be done. It can also be done by putting that money in 2016 or 2017

Basis4day

Reaction score
London12":1bc7j2w3 said:
Bullmeister":1bc7j2w3 said:
Our Man in Chicago":1bc7j2w3 said:
Alvin Keels is really the man we should all be mad at.

Just look at this douchebag advising Kam:

Alvin Keels

Just looking at this cocky looking photo makes me want to punch the monitor.

His flip phone looks straight out of 2005, can't be doing too well.

That picture is from around 2010. A lot of people still had flip phones.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":xgf1n3ve said:
ZagHawk":xgf1n3ve said:
He didn't do that. He skipped preseason and screwed the team. There is no way he can honor his contract now.

He has to honor his contract, he has no choice.

If his intention was to get more money, losing game checks is the opposite of that. So like I said, I'm sure his agent is as we speak talking to John about how to save face on this so Kam can come back without looking like a complete moron. Might take another week or two, but it's going to happen. Hawk's aren't trading him now.

A

Anonymous

SoulfishHawk":245q9qnc said:
Seems pretty "petty" of him

Richard Petty?

80_richard-petty.jpg

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":4pm1ge4k said:
Tech Worlds":4pm1ge4k said:
ZagHawk":4pm1ge4k said:

If his intention was to get more money, losing game checks is the opposite of that. So like I said, I'm sure his agent is as we speak talking to John about how to save face on this so Kam can come back without looking like a complete moron. Might take another week or two, but it's going to happen. Hawk's aren't trading him now.
He's not doing so. He is not honoring his contract.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1mauokpp said:
Sgt. Largent":1mauokpp said:
Tech Worlds":1mauokpp said:
ZagHawk":1mauokpp said:

He's not doing so. He is not honoring his contract.

Semantically you're right, but from a player's perspective they don't care until the game checks aren't being deposited..........and that's now for Kam.

So he can choose to either come in grumpy and play, or continue to not get what he wants AND miss game checks. Only one of these scenarios he gets paid.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
I do not like what is going on here , yes the players will say the right thing that this will not effect our play we are behind Cam 100% , but in the locker room who knows , Carol better get a hold of things here as this has the potential of turning ugly.

Artizam

Reaction score
What does Carol not have control on? From the interviews I've seen/heard, you can see that players are saying they understand Kam and what he's doing, but your also hearing them say that they're disappointed. It's kinda funny, every year you see players leave for more money, and go on about "this is a business", yet, the Hawks are holding their stance because in a business, you fulfill your contract. I couldn't imagine the players having issue with how management is handling this, they all know what's at stake.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If Dion Bailey plays well on Sunday, I don't care if Kam comes back... I'm starting Bailey the rest of the way.

They have to send a message that you can't just sit out camp, preseason and a regular season game then come back and everything is just happy and well. Reward the guys that were here. Make Kam compete for his job

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Maybe he comes in before Sunday so he doesn't miss his check he won't play of course other than that. He will only lose money from now on, if he doesn't report he's a fool he cannot win this.

mrt144

Reaction score
Artizam":mxi139su said:
What does Carol not have control on? From the interviews I've seen/heard, you can see that players are saying they understand Kam and what he's doing, but your also hearing them say that they're disappointed. It's kinda funny, every year you see players leave for more money, and go on about "this is a business", yet, the Hawks are holding their stance because in a business, you fulfill your contract. I couldn't imagine the players having issue with how management is handling this, they all know what's at stake.

There's an assumption that all 53 on the roster are all the same kind of person with the same motivations that drive them.

Almost every fan wants a players who gives 100% all the time, is legitimately a great player and plays almost solely for the love of the game without much regard to salary, is genuinely humble and not into snake oil (I HAD TO QUALIFY THIS). Humorously enough, a lot of of the fans believe most players are the complete opposite of that (or that a handful of players are representative of most players) and analyze the situation from an adversarial viewpoint.

You see it with football players, you see it with teachers.

I think that in a tight knit workplace like a football team, and especially with the right management and personnel in place, you won't get blowback from employees over this kinda stuff. Especially if management isn't injecting object moral lessons into the conversation with the rest of the team.