Kam Chancellor will miss Week 1 (Confirmed)

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
kearly":3uxr8l1w said:
Pretty much ever comment by DavidSeven in here has been money.

If Kam ends up missing most or all of this season, what a sad thing that would be. He simply fails to realize how this situation works from a pragmatic perspective. Here are the two choices he's giving the FO:

1.) Cave into his demands OR trade him, which would open a Pandora's Box with several other high paid Seahawks players under contract. Maybe the Seahawks could keep Kam, but in the long run they would lose far more than they gain.

2.) Suffer through his absence while still probably winning 11-12 games. Then drafting / trading for his long term replacement next offseason.

Between those two choices, it's clearly obvious that option #2 is vastly preferable. What Kam fails to understand is that the FO caving to him is 100% unrealistic. He's costing himself money and hurting the team over a goal that is IMPOSSIBLE.

And I say this as someone who has liked Kam more than Earl going back as far as 2011, but Kam is not nearly as tough to replace as Earl is. And I know it was preseason, but our defense looked nasty as hell this preseason with the secondary being almost completely made up of backups. Not only is Kam unaware of how impossible a cave-in would be, I think he is also over-estimating his impact on the current defense.

I've been thinking for a while now that you can find a replacement for Kam in the 3/4/5 rounds. You can't find a replacement for Earl Thomas outside the first round.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The net gain, in trading a star, is almost always near nothing.

I would be very interested if someone went through the data to see where teams that traded their superstars actually had any realized value vs the loss. I am going to bet it is almost nothing.

It would probably be better to either sit Kam the year and work out a deal, than to trade him and get the *chance* of getting a player that is 1/4 the player Kam already is.

Again, you need to do that math and see just what the cost of breaking precedent is in net loss of talent/value to the team over time vs the real net loss in losing Kam. Or there needs to be a meeting with the team leaders to determine if there is any way for the team to meet in the middle on this one, legally.

But trading him assures you get almost nothing, because the success rate of 1st and 2nd round picks is not even that high.

You might MIGHT get a solid NFL player out of it, but contrast to the loss, it needs to be determined if the sheer need to get "something" is valid vs waiting and perhaps preserving the value you know you have (if there is any % chance to preserve it).

Strategically, it would be dumb. Weaken the team badly and likely start creating cracks in the foundation that will be bigger. This is the Sonics all over again. They signed the big stiff (McIlvane/Cary Williams) to a big contract, pissed off their existing SuperStar (Kemp/Kam) and are going to get at best, a crappier Vin Baker (????) in exchange.

No. No. No.

Geologic

Reaction score
I have faith in Dion Bailey to hold the spot down until Kam gets backs.

massari

Reaction score
kearly":gyfztnpf said:
CalgaryHawk":gyfztnpf said:
John Clayton was on the radio yesterday stating that the most the Hawks could get for Kam is a 4th round pick because the team that traded him would also have to work out a new contract with Kam.

I don't want the Seahawks to trade Kam, but I think Clayton is off the mark here. First off, we've seen plenty of big trades that involved contracts being re-worked. You needn't look any further than Seattle sending a ransom to Minnesota for Percy Harvin and that required reworking his deal. I could list many more examples, there are no shortage of blockbuster deals that are not at all impeded by also needing a new contract.

Secondly, it's been reported that many teams have contacted Seattle about dealing for Kam, and they would of course do this with knowledge that a new deal would be necessary in a trade scenario. Kam isn't just some safety, he's an all-pro in his prime years. You're probably looking at a 1st or 2nd round pick in a deal.

That said, I wouldn't endorse a trade unless Seattle was blown away with an offer. If some team offered a 1st and a 3rd or something like that, then Seattle could argue that they didn't cave to Chancellor, but that they were given an offer they couldn't turn down.

Seems kind of weird he'd say that considering the Harvin trade wasn't too long ago.

There's no point in even trading him if all they get is a 4th. Mid 1st+3rd does seem fair though.

massari

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":3d36bbk5 said:
BlueTalon":3d36bbk5 said:
Danish Hawk":3d36bbk5 said:
If he doesn't come back, no way we're trading him this season. Too many years left on his deal - at the earliest we trade him after the season (unless he still has 3 years remaining).
I think there is a chance we do trade him during this season. I'm not predicting it, but I can imagine a set of circumstances where a team that is already needy in the defensive backfield loses a player to injury, and are willing to part with a couple of 1st round picks (or no less than a 1st & 3rd) to acquire Kam.

I know the team is concerned with setting a precedent, and that's the way around the precedent. It's what we did with Joey Galloway (two 1sts), and for much the same reason. It raises the bar far higher than it is reasonable to contemplate or plan on.

John Clayton was on the radio yesterday stating that the most the Hawks could get for Kam is a 4th round pick because the team that traded him would also have to work out a new contract with Kam. I strongly disagree with Clayton - if the Patriots can get a 1st round pick from the Hawks for Dion Branch when he was holding out, then the Hawks can find a team to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for Kam.

I don't even know if I'd trade Kam for just a 1st round pick unless it's a high 1st rounder. There's no gun to the head of the Seahawks since he's under contract for three more years. You'd think at some point a team will get desperate enough to give up a kings ransom.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2veoxal3 said:
onanygivensunday":2veoxal3 said:
A friend of a friend that knows somebody on the team told me today...

Kam has been participating in team meetings via Skype and his holdout for a better contract has been a cleverly disguised ruse... and Kam is currently healing from an injury and faking a holdout to avoid being on the PUP list.

I don't buy it... but I thought that I would pass it along.

You do know he participated in OTA's right? And went to Hawaii with his teammates to train right? And told everyone he could how amazing he felt since this was the first offseason he hadn't had any surgery?

No. Just no.

This is why I blame his agent. Between OTAs and Hawaii and training camp someone game him some very bad advice. And I don't think it is a coincidence that it was his agent was the one who signed Byron Maxwell for big money.

rcaido

Reaction score
Best thing to do is show up tomorrow. Apologize & fire his agent whether he was the one who advise the hold out or not...At least people will think his agent was the one who was giving him the dumb advice. Kam will look like a victim, fans wont be butthurt, & we can go back having BAM BAM win win!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
massari":1fiwr4qv said:
CalgaryHawk":1fiwr4qv said:
BlueTalon":1fiwr4qv said:
Danish Hawk":1fiwr4qv said:
If he doesn't come back, no way we're trading him this season. Too many years left on his deal - at the earliest we trade him after the season (unless he still has 3 years remaining).
I think there is a chance we do trade him during this season. I'm not predicting it, but I can imagine a set of circumstances where a team that is already needy in the defensive backfield loses a player to injury, and are willing to part with a couple of 1st round picks (or no less than a 1st & 3rd) to acquire Kam.

I know the team is concerned with setting a precedent, and that's the way around the precedent. It's what we did with Joey Galloway (two 1sts), and for much the same reason. It raises the bar far higher than it is reasonable to contemplate or plan on.
John Clayton was on the radio yesterday stating that the most the Hawks could get for Kam is a 4th round pick because the team that traded him would also have to work out a new contract with Kam. I strongly disagree with Clayton - if the Patriots can get a 1st round pick from the Hawks for Dion Branch when he was holding out, then the Hawks can find a team to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for Kam.
I don't even know if I'd trade Kam for just a 1st round pick unless it's a high 1st rounder. There's no gun to the head of the Seahawks since he's under contract for three more years. You'd think at some point a team will get desperate enough to give up a kings ransom.
I don't care what Clayton says, the content of my post is not contingent on what Clayton said.

I think JS could ask for TWO 1st round picks for Kam, and get something close to it. And if not, no deal.

I love Kam as a player, but I have resigned myself to football life without him. Next man up.

Phoenix

Reaction score

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Largefarva":uqqfoz45 said:
I'm so over this holdout. I'm also glad I've never bought one of his jerseys...and I was very close to buying one last year but went with Beastmode because I was afraid he might not be available after last year. Glad I made that choice. Dunno who I'll buy this year...most likely Earl or Sherman since my last two have been offensive players. Definitely won't be Kam though.

also glad I didn't waste money on his jersey...going Beastmode as he will be a legend here even when done in Seattle..Kam not so much...

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Kam is worse than Hutch. Will never root for the guy and hope he's never elected into the ring of honor

Redsand187

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1s5bjyyx said:
nategreat":1s5bjyyx said:
andyh64000":1s5bjyyx said:
Yep...bizarre. The only thing I can think is that his agent seems a little bizarre and trying to make a name for himself and he gave Kam terrible advice that wasn't in Kam's best interest.

Except nobody knows his name

There's no proof that his agent is telling him to do this, and for all we know, this stubborn holdout could all be of Kam's own doing.

There is no proof that his agent is telling him to do this. However, if this was all Kam's idea a reputable agent would end his relationship with the player. There is no reason to represent a player who won't make a deal. You're fighting for scraps at that point. You are trying to put together a deal that you've already done, you're salvaging a ship your client purposely scuttled. There is very little motivation for the agent to put in the hundreds of hours of work for a small pay check that likely won't even come.

I'm a Kam fan. It sucks that this is happening, but the minute he's back in uniform it will be back to normal for me. I think his return to the locker room will be a warm welcome. I don't think the other guys will shun him. I don't think he'd go from team captain to the black sheep over this. I think they will look at it just like an injury. He wasn't there, but when he's back, he's back and things will fall together.

I think there is more to this than what we are hearing. I'm not convinced it's completely about the money. I think there is personal, family, and/or health reasons also contributing to the holdout. There is something Kam would rather be doing and this contract issue is likely his easy excuse to put off playing and spend his time how he'd prefer.

Artizam

Reaction score
Here's a question, Kam says they are less than 1 mill from an agreement. He's missing $267k each game, plus missing out on a $250k bonus for game 1, so after four games, he's down a million in fines, and hasn't made any progress. What's he thinking?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Phoenix":1dnestxz said:
This just cracks me up to no end. Petty

"UPDATE: Tonight NFL Network is quoting Chancellor as saying the gap between him and the Seahawks ispetty.” The network also says Chancellor doesn’t want additional money this year but his 2017 cash moved up to ‘16. Hmmmm..."

Unbelievable!

edit: forgot to add the source
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article34577811.html

We will see how petty it is when he starts losing a lot of pay.

HansGruber

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":29yhn9wv said:
CodeWarrior":29yhn9wv said:
onanygivensunday":29yhn9wv said:
A friend of a friend that knows somebody on the team told me today...

Kam has been participating in team meetings via Skype and his holdout for a better contract has been a cleverly disguised ruse... and Kam is currently healing from an injury and faking a holdout to avoid being on the PUP list.

I don't buy it... but I thought that I would pass it along.

Probability a player participates in said ruse and forfeits game checks? Zero.

Up to team if they enforce fines....
Not for game checks. That is enforced by the NFL as part of the CBA. Seahawks have no say, beyond Paul Allen reaching out to Goodell. And I don't see that happening as it would kill leverage for all the other owners.

Nope. If Kam gives up game checks, he won't get that money back. Which just makes the holdout all the more bizarre.

And for those asking, his agent is Alvin Keeps.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kam and his agent obviously miscalculated not only his value, his health issues but the response of Pete and John.

I guess they thought the Hawks would bend over backwards to accommodate his demands, or at least "meet him halfway." Not sure how "gimme all my 2018 money next year" is meeting him halfway? That's more like "meet me 90% of the way on my side."

Now all there's left to do is create a PR scenario where it looks like Kam saved face when he walks back into the VMAC with his tail between his legs.

Latest posts