Kapadia speculates on Joe Thomas to the Seahawks

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ctrcat":18vr46ov said:
hawknation2016":18vr46ov said:
I would trade a first for Joe Thomas. The best LT in the league, $9.5-10 million per year with no guarantees is not that bad, and I don't see him slowing down in the next two years.

But I'm not sure the deal makes sense. I think Cleveland would want more than one pick in return.

At the trade deadline they wanted two 1sts, which is absurd IMO. In 2014 Jordan Gross retired somewhat unexpectedly and the Panthers held their nose through the stink, bumps, bruises, and flat out losses with Bryon Bell and David Foucault. However even in retrospect would I have rather had a 29 year old Thomas if it meant losing Benjamin, Ealy, Turner, Thompson, or Funchess? I truly don't think I'd take Thomas over even one of those given age and salary, much less multiple.

I thought Michael Oher was the LT in Carolina. Didn't they pick him up last offseason to fill the void left by Gross?

ctrcat

Reaction score
hawkfan68":9lwt900l said:
ctrcat":9lwt900l said:
hawknation2016":9lwt900l said:
I would trade a first for Joe Thomas. The best LT in the league, $9.5-10 million per year with no guarantees is not that bad, and I don't see him slowing down in the next two years.

But I'm not sure the deal makes sense. I think Cleveland would want more than one pick in return.

At the trade deadline they wanted two 1sts, which is absurd IMO. In 2014 Jordan Gross retired somewhat unexpectedly and the Panthers held their nose through the stink, bumps, bruises, and flat out losses with Bryon Bell and David Foucault. However even in retrospect would I have rather had a 29 year old Thomas if it meant losing Benjamin, Ealy, Turner, Thompson, or Funchess? I truly don't think I'd take Thomas over even one of those given age and salary, much less multiple.

I thought Michael Oher was the LT in Carolina. Didn't they pick him up last offseason?

Yes and he was a huge upgrade over the year before. An argument could be made he deserved a Pro Bowl nod but his acquisition was met with intense criticism. Only time will tell how long he is there after this year, your guess is as good as mine.

McGruff

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1j302bti said:
If we were unwilling to pay Okung 5m for 1 year we must be making a move. You don't get even a decent LT for less than 5 a year, I just don't understand.

You do if one is on your roster under a UDFA contract or available for cheap in the draft.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3bds5cuk said:
TheRealDTM":3bds5cuk said:
If we were unwilling to pay Okung 5m for 1 year we must be making a move. You don't get even a decent LT for less than 5 a year, I just don't understand.

You do if one is on your roster under a UDFA contract or available for cheap in the draft.

Agreed. I think we're looking at RT. Unless the price for Joe Thomas comes down.

The Thomas trade does make sense (based on the last couple years). What doesn't, is how the money fits as well as the available talent expected at 26 this year. The only way I see us adding Thomas is to lose Chancellor. That's a price I don't think we want to pay. We'd need to remove a 5m+ salary from this team to absorb Thomas. I am doubtful we make that deal even if the pick cost is acceptable.

I don't think Ifedi is in play anymore. He's not day 1 ready. He mayToo many kinks to work out. He's not Havenstein in terms of preparedness for the NFL. He has holes that are big. Good project guy. But I kind of see him as not really in play until 2017.

Coleman I see as day 1 ready. And if I'm laying money down, he's my near lock favorite for #26 if we keep it. The fact that Auburn switched Coleman out between LT and RT even between snaps in series demonstrates he has a high football IQ and has the versatility to play either out of the box.

I also think he is a very high grade RT prospect who is in essence a LT mirror. In today's NFL where teams load up with pass rush duos -- that's the ideal. Having two bookends that can handle 2 elite pass rushers. Coleman (or Thomas) gives us that.

I feel we are definitely getting an OT with that pick. Whether it's trade or selection. Okung's departure really only serves to limit the options in my opinion. I think Spriggs and Ifedi are out given the urgent need now. Webb is a band aid that I fully expect to go sideways and given his body of work -- PCJS should expect that as well. He's basically a better upgrade to Bailey who can play either OT or LG spot. Sowell I don't think survives the last round of cuts.

Honestly, if we were to get Thomas/Coleman, and a pair of McGovern, Martin, Westerman, Allen, Whitehair in this draft I'd feel very comfortable with this OL going forward. Webb can be a temporary bridge at OT/LG. We'd have the ability to continue to develop Sokoli who needs another redshirt year. But the depth would be very good and the starter quality would enjoy massive upgrades in talent.

Anything to get Britt as the #7 OL would be acceptable. In that role, I think I'm comfortable with him being in. I see him as a better utility guy than Bailey was. I do believe that there are multiple reasonable scenarios where we could get right on this line for the next 3 years in this next 6 weeks.

kf3339

Reaction score
Here is the thing to me. The fact that Okung left only means the money they saved for his signing is now available for another quality LT, if one is made available.

When I look at Joe Thomas it first makes me think that the Browns will not trade him since they are going rookie QB this draft. Smart money would say that you keep your franchise LT to protect his blind side. But as someone mentioned earlier good teams have many pass rushers so that just protects one one angle to the QB. Also I believe Wentz and Goff are more mobile so maybe that type of LT is not as needed right away. In addition if they were that worried about their rookie QB, why wouldn't they have renegotiated with Mack and kept him to man the O-Line? They let a lot of good FA players get away, and have the cap room to make that happen.

I think Cleveland is starting over and cleaning house. If that is the case they will do so on their O-Line as well. The question then is what kind of compensation becomes realistic for them to get, and us to consider. Personally, I don't want to give up another 1st round pick in a trade again. This is especially true for another "difference maker" like Harvin and Graham. If the Browns wants a minimum 1st I would say pass.

But what happens if they lower their demands, and a 1st can be negotiated out of the deal. Then what?

Here is my deal:

Cleveland trades Joe Thomas and a their late 4th to Seattle for Kam Chancellor and our 2nd round pick this year. Why would they do it?

They get a younger, stronger and more dynamic SS who can help to Captain their defense. He makes their current SS Whitner expendable who is 31 in July and has a $4.5M salary this coming season. They can easily give Kam a new contract which makes him happy. They also get a 2nd round pick (number 56) which in this draft will still net them another young player to help build their team. That makes sense. They would now have a 1st and two 2nd's to work with. If you are rebuilding you need draft capital.

Why would the Hawks do it!

We get a franchise LT who even though 31 has at least 3 to 4 strong years left. He has been durable (never missed a start) so you know he won't miss games like Okung. In addition we keep our own 1st which can be used on an interior OL or DT which is a need and will have good value. In addition the Browns late 4th rounder has proven to get us good value in past drafts. Last, the money saved from Kam can go to make up the difference in Okung and Thomas's contracts. There may even be enough to help with more money for Bennett which I think everyone believes is warranted. As for Kam's SS spot it can be filled by McCray to start and who knows we may find another Kam in the draft with that 4th!

I think this is a fair trade. Hope some will agree.

massari

Reaction score
Probably the only way I'd trade a high pick(s) for Thomas is if Jimmy Graham is included.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":36m70ixa said:
Here is the thing to me. The fact that Okung left only means the money they saved for his signing is now available for another quality LT, if one is made available.

When I look at Joe Thomas it first makes me think that the Browns will not trade him since they are going rookie QB this draft. Smart money would say that you keep your franchise LT to protect his blind side. But as someone mentioned earlier good teams have many pass rushers so that just protects one one angle to the QB. Also I believe Wentz and Goff are more mobile so maybe that type of LT is not as needed right away. In addition if they were that worried about their rookie QB, why wouldn't they have renegotiated with Mack and kept him to man the O-Line? They let a lot of good FA players get away, and have the cap room to make that happen.

I think Cleveland is starting over and cleaning house. If that is the case they will do so on their O-Line as well. The question then is what kind of compensation becomes realistic for them to get, and us to consider. Personally, I don't want to give up another 1st round pick in a trade again. This is especially true for another "difference maker" like Harvin and Graham. If the Browns wants a minimum 1st I would say pass.

But what happens if they lower their demands, and a 1st can be negotiated out of the deal. Then what?

Here is my deal:

Cleveland trades Joe Thomas and a their late 4th to Seattle for Kam Chancellor and our 2nd round pick this year. Why would they do it?

They get a younger, stronger and more dynamic SS who can help to Captain their defense. He makes their current SS Whitner expendable who is 31 in July and has a $4.5M salary this coming season. They can easily give Kam a new contract which makes him happy. They also get a 2nd round pick (number 56) which in this draft will still net them another young player to help build their team. That makes sense. They would now have a 1st and two 2nd's to work with. If you are rebuilding you need draft capital.

Why would the Hawks do it!

We get a franchise LT who even though 31 has at least 3 to 4 strong years left. He has been durable (never missed a start) so you know he won't miss games like Okung. In addition we keep our own 1st which can be used on an interior OL or DT which is a need and will have good value. In addition the Browns late 4th rounder has proven to get us good value in past drafts. Last, the money saved from Kam can go to make up the difference in Okung and Thomas's contracts. There may even be enough to help with more money for Bennett which I think everyone believes is warranted. As for Kam's SS spot it can be filled by McCray to start and who knows we may find another Kam in the draft with that 4th!

I think this is a fair trade. Hope some will agree.
I like the deal too bad our GM would give up more if you look at his past trades.

Latest posts