Kapadia speculates on Joe Thomas to the Seahawks

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
So, what's going to be available still at pick 26? Le'Raven Clark? He's projected to be a good one in this league, but there's no guarantees with rookies. Joe Thomas is quite the player. So, there's a known there. There's been O-lineman that play into their mid-30's at a high level. Thomas will probably do the same. It might be a steep price to pay for a short-term rental on an elite player. But, I could also see feeling quite comfortable about having acquired him when as he vastly improves the line and helps keep RW healthy. Think about what that does for this team for that position to be solid for a few years. He's not a pain like PH either.

If Cleveland wants too much, forget it. But, the Hawks did it before. I think if there's a chance to get him, he might be too good a player to pass up. There's the potential with Seattle to give up a lot. So, I'm nervous just hearing about it. But, it's Joe Thomas, no matter how old he is. Might need to have some clause in the contract. Maybe they could trade a future #1 so that if Thomas suddenly retires before the Hawks get at least a couple of years out of him, the compensation isn't as steep. I don't know. I just hope the Hawks don't get fleeced.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":4wyfiomi said:
So, what's going to be available still at pick 26? Le'Raven Clark? He's projected to be a good one in this league, but there's no guarantees with rookies. Joe Thomas is quite the player. So, there's a known there. There's been O-lineman that play into their mid-30's at a high level. Thomas will probably do the same. It might be a steep price to pay for a short-term rental on an elite player. But, I could also see feeling quite comfortable about having acquired him when as he vastly improves the line and helps keep RW healthy. Think about what that does for this team for that position to be solid for a few years. He's not a pain like PH either.

If Cleveland wants too much, forget it. But, the Hawks did it before. I think if there's a chance to get him, he might be too good a player to pass up. There's the potential with Seattle to give up a lot. So, I'm nervous just hearing about it. But, it's Joe Thomas, no matter how old he is. Might need to have some clause in the contract. Maybe they could trade a future #1 so that if Thomas suddenly retires before the Hawks get at least a couple of years out of him, the compensation isn't as steep. I don't know. I just hope the Hawks don't get fleeced.
Look at his age guys,do we want another star OL retiring like Big Walt but only after 1-2 years with us?Thats a real possibility and thats after we give up a high pick and another not to mention that cap hit and loss of comp pick this year..It's just too much

Hawks46

Reaction score
massari":3tnz6hin said:
hawknation2016":3tnz6hin said:
I would trade a first for Joe Thomas. The best LT in the league, $9.5-10 million per year with no guarantees is not that bad, and I don't see him slowing down in the next two years.

But I'm not sure the deal makes sense. I think Cleveland would want more than one pick in return.
So you'd take a 32 year old Thomas over a guy like Conkiln, Rankins, Leonard Floyd ect AND 10M to spend on free agents?

Can you guarantee that Conklin, Rankins, and Floyd are not going to bust ? The last two LT's taken in the draft at the top of the 1st round have mostly busted, or look very underwhelming. Those picks were lauded as being the safest in the draft, with the best football player in the draft, and were graded very well by not only the experts, but the other GM's (who almost all of them would've drafted the same guy). There is no sure thing in the draft.

Thomas is as close to a sure thing as you get. He's proven himself, he's durable, and he wants to play for a winning team. I'm not advocating a mid round 1st, but a late 1st like ours is worth it. I wouldn't throw in any other picks though.

Think about it; you've shored up the LT spot for 3 years; protecting Russ's blindside with an elite LT. He'd automatically uprade our pass protection to league average and give Wilson a guaranteed out on that side once he and Thomas got some chemistry. We've seen what our offense can do with league average pass pro.

So a 1st rounder isn't worth guaranteeing that our offense would be elite for 3 years ?

And as for the "Thomas + 10 million" I'd really love to knkow where you're going to get a 1st round LT prospect for free, as he's only making 10 million as it is. It's more like those draft picks plus 8 million.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Isnt that how much okung wanntts?
Lts dont grow on trees , cough cough,big walt
Just been a long time since we had that kinda protection

massari

Reaction score
Hawks46":1zarmjbh said:
Can you guarantee that Conklin, Rankins, and Floyd are not going to bust ?
Joe Thomas has 144 games played. Can you guarantee he's not going to decline and/or miss games from his body breaking down?

There is no sure thing in the draft.
No sure thing in trading them, either, as we all know too well.

And as for the "Thomas + 10 million" I'd really love to knkow where you're going to get a 1st round LT prospect for free, as he's only making 10 million as it is. It's more like those draft picks plus 8 million.
hawknation2016 already made that correction. Thanks for letting me know though.

With the salary cap, you can't keep trading draft picks for expensive vets. Young, cheap talent is needed in order to contend, it seems.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawxfreak":3n1kfxfy said:
Isnt that how much okung wanntts?
Lts dont grow on trees , cough cough,big walt
Just been a long time since we had that kinda protection

It's not everyday you get to have arguably the best lineman (Up there with Munoz) to ever play the game.
That kind of protection was the exception. It shouldn't be the expectation.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":1gsbatu2 said:
If Thomas was 29, I could see it. But there's too many talented, SPAQ-Y tackles that will be long-term solutions and available at #26 to trade that pick for a guy that will be 32 this year.

Actually, other than the salary cap cost, I'd say this is a non starter.

Seattle has drafted or added 19 OL in the PCJS era. We've resigned one of those additions (Giacomini). Unger was also resigned, but was a Ruskell pick and was traded before his second deal matured.

When looking at OL via the draft, it's almost a lock that 'long term' for Seattle means 4 years. And you can subtract the development time from those 4 years directly.

Any guy we get via the draft may as well be considered a 2 or 3 year solution at best. So if we're comparing apples to apples here with a trade for a veteran -- then we have to concede that our unwillingness to spend on second contracts with our OL selections has to play a part in that.

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3liil4se said:
nanomoz":3liil4se said:
Any guy we get via the draft may as well be considered a 2 or 3 year solution at best. So if we're comparing apples to apples here with a trade for a veteran -- then we have to concede that our unwillingness to spend on second contracts with our OL selections has to play a part in that.
You are spot on with this analysis. :th2thumbs:

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
If we were unwilling to pay Okung 5m for 1 year we must be making a move. You don't get even a decent LT for less than 5 a year, I just don't understand.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":370ke5qj said:
TheRealDTM":370ke5qj said:
If we were unwilling to pay Okung 5m for 1 year we must be making a move. You don't get even a decent LT for less than 5 a year, I just don't understand.

I think would have easily signed him for 1 year $5 mil, no way Okung takes that deal though.

Thats what he got though + a 4 year option that is basically assured to be denied unless he is the best LT in the league next year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3e6j6uh5 said:
nanomoz":3e6j6uh5 said:
If Thomas was 29, I could see it. But there's too many talented, SPAQ-Y tackles that will be long-term solutions and available at #26 to trade that pick for a guy that will be 32 this year.

Actually, other than the salary cap cost, I'd say this is a non starter.

Seattle has drafted or added 19 OL in the PCJS era. We've resigned one of those additions (Giacomini). Unger was also resigned, but was a Ruskell pick and was traded before his second deal matured.

When looking at OL via the draft, it's almost a lock that 'long term' for Seattle means 4 years. And you can subtract the development time from those 4 years directly.

You basically just made an argument against trying to build your offensive line through the draft.

There is a really, really good crop of tackles available this year, and Schneidy and Pete should have their choice of two or three guys that I believe will be decent enough out of the gate and very good within a year or so. You're right, they haven't killed it with lineman in the draft, but that's not a good enough reason to stop trying to do so. I'm excited about a few of the prospects, Ifedi (and several center/guards) in particular. As long as they don't get cute--they got cute with the Britt selection--I think all will be well. This draft happens to be deep in places Seattle has needs: all over the OL and DTs.

I'm really confident that the line will be much better the first 9 weeks of 2016 than it was the first 9 weeks of 2015. I wasn't too high on the group entering 2015. And the preseason switch of Britt to LG was a bit of a foreshadowing, unfortunately. Luckily, Gilliam really improved over the course of the year. And he played 16 games, something Okung has never done.

ctrcat

Reaction score
If you want the sure thing in his prime and absolutely insist on a trade, I'd give up the two firsts (since the Hawks plan on being a playoff team anyway) to get Cordy Glenn off the tag instead of these options, especially Clady. JMO

Bobblehead

Reaction score
brimsalabim":18zpz137 said:
If we can't get a deal done with those guys I don't see how we get one done with a player of Thomas's caliber. Even at 32 he is elite. We have to do something though. What kind of mentor would Thomas be to the younger draft picks?

Wouldn't the deal already be at hand, it's a trade, not a FA.

I don't see why the Browns would do it anyway, seems stupid to trade the #1 tackle in football, to only have to find a replacement.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The way the Seahawks draft OL, I'd rather they trade for a proven guy like Thomas even if he's old. Okung, Carp, Britt, Moffitt were all drafted in rounds 1-3 and only Britt remains. Britt was a major reach. So their drafting record is less than stellar when it comes to OL.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":16ch7s8f said:
They way the Seahawks draft OL, I'd rather they trade for a proven guy like Thomas even if he's old. Okung, Carp, Britt, Moffitt were all drafted in rounds 1-3 and only Britt remains. Britt was a major reach. So their drafting record is less than stellar when it comes to OL.

Pretty much this ^^^

Latest posts