Kasen Williams made the 53 tonight

sutz

Reaction score
Seymour":26kgzvu7 said:
vin.couve12":26kgzvu7 said:
Kinds of amazed at that objectivity there. That pass was actually on RW.

I've been tough on Kearse since last year, but I have to admit....Russell seams cursed when throwing to Kearse. Whatever chemistry they once had, is now completely gone.
I believe Kearse caught at least other ball. A 20 yrdr over the middle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think he makes the team.

Who doesn't presents both trade opportunities and potential loss of talent.

Trading Kearse could be a potential result, trading a CB like Lane or a RB could also be a thought. Every year there is a lot of angst over the last few spots.

Frankly I'd like to see the team keep both McEvoy and Darboh but time will tell.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
pmedic920":1zwjr8u7 said:
Did Darboh get injured last night.

I am hoping that Williams makes the 53, he's proven to me anyway, that he can produce.

Yes, on his only target I think. Concussion.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
getnasty":3r0cfm0z said:
Baldwin, Lockett, Kearse, Richardson, Williams, Darboh.

I agree. Unless something changes dramatically (and we saw last night they certainly can -- just ask George Fant), I'd say those will be the 6 guys when it's all said and done.

McKissic and Moore you try your best to sneak onto the Practice Squad.

The Seahawks love guys who have unique skillsets. When they take a look at a position group as as whole, they try to think, "What is it we've already got ... and what how does this new player have that we don't already have? What does he bring to the table and give us that no one else has?"

Well, Doug Baldwin is your classic cagey veteran receiver who's just smart and knows how to move the chains. BUT, he doesn't have breakaway speed/

Lockett is quick and amazingly shifty -- he can juke guys out of their socks. He's a very savvy receiver, BUT ... he doesn't have great size.

Richardson HAS that speed that you're looking for in a receiver ... BUT, he's not what you'd call a huge guy.

In Kasen Williams, here you have a guy who's got size (he is big and strong) and incredible leaping ability. He's a unique target for Russell, in that he can just lob it up there for him and he will go get it. That's a skill that really none of the other receivers really has. He's also a very sure handed receiver and runs good routes. He really gives the Hawks a presence that they've not had since Sidney Rice.

So, agreed -- in the end, I think those will be the 6 guys when it's all said and done.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree that Kasen has made the team yet. Has shown his value, but McEvoy is more polished, has softer hands, runs better routes and overall better special teamer. Punt blocking, he can do it all.

Has Williams shown much over the middle? I like the effort by Kasen with the opportunities he's being given. But, dropping that pass in the bread basket? They already know what they've got with McEvoy. Who is the better blocking WR?

I like Kasen, but would be a mistake to part with McEvoy.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Pick two between Kasen, Darboh, McEvoy, and Mckissic.

Biggest investment in Darboh but we haven't seen anything from him yet.

Mckissic is an ace on ST and as a #6 Wr would have an impact. He could also act as an emergency or 3rd down RB.

The I think Darboh and McEvoy are competing against Kearse at this point. Unless we trade him they are the odd ones out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Breh

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1fl9k0oa said:
I wouldn't agree that Kasen has made the team yet. Has shown his value, but McEvoy is more polished, has softer hands, runs better routes and overall better special teamer. Punt blocking, he can do it all.

Has Williams shown much over the middle? I like the effort by Kasen with the opportunities he's being given. But, dropping that pass in the bread basket? They already know what they've got with McEvoy. Who is the better blocking WR?

Runs better routes ?
You guys really throw this idea out there fairly often like you are calling the plays yourselves and know where they're supposed to run.
I'm not tryin to attack here, just trying to understand how you come to this conclusion.
Do you rewind plays and somehow see where every receiver ran even when they're off screen and decide one dude ran "crisper" than the other ?
On a vertical view at that. If you had a sky cam and looking down you could actually see the route. Looking from a side view, you must have some amazing intuition and should be on the staff.
I'm genuinely intrigued, please enlighten me :irishdrinkers:

rjdriver

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2svcjqkx said:

Both please. I would hate to lose either as it stands right now. Of course, two more pre season games to go, so we will see.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
The Breh":6plbaubb said:
TeamoftheCentury":6plbaubb said:

Runs better routes ?
You guys really throw this idea out there fairly often like you are calling the plays yourselves and know where they're supposed to run.
I'm not tryin to attack here, just trying to understand how you come to this conclusion.
Do you rewind plays and somehow see where every receiver ran even when they're off screen and decide one dude ran "crisper" than the other ?
On a vertical view at that. If you had a sky cam and looking down you could actually see the route. Looking from a side view, you must have some amazing intuition and should be on the staff.
I'm genuinely intrigued, please enlighten me :irishdrinkers:
I'll answer in a way I hope will defuse. In general, McEvoy seems to run more of the fuller route tree and Williams tends to run the 9 or "go". That's what is asked of him with his skill set and he has shown he does it very well. McEvoy is 6-5/230 and is able to make those grabs while making them look more routine. He is more fluid. In addition to running more of the route tree, he has a knack for finding space and getting separation. Williams (with less speed?) seems to always be tightly covered and contested.
I feel better about our chances with higher percentage plays than lobbing it up to a pre-season phenom and hoping it takes us back to the Super bowl. Those passes up for grabs to out jump the defender should go to Graham primarily. McEvoy is also a great option. Vannett could be as well. If they find a way to keep Williams, too... great. But not at the expense of McEvoy. I think especially when considering which player will be be more reliable to do more for the team and have a longer career. I'm rooting for both and Kasen is making his case.
Go Hawks.

The Breh

Reaction score
Well, you bring up route tree. Again, like you have the opportunity to see everywhere these guys run.
Williams being tightly covered may be strictly dependent on the DB in coverage.
I find it hard to believe at 6'5 230 McEvoy is better at getting separation based on speed. He was left wide open last year for that TD, maybe people just don't respect him ?
Williams has been making contested catches the past 2 weeks. If it came down to it, I'd like the guy who's proven to battle for the ball in the air.
McEvoy hasn't shown that.
Matter of fact, I don't know the last time we've seen anybody fight for balls like Kasen. Some of that may be on Russ' throws too, namely that TD.
For the record, I'm a big McEvoy fan and want to see him around. These are two very different players tho.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
The Breh":1j12b692 said:
Well, you bring up route tree. Again, like you have the opportunity to see everywhere these guys run.
I find it hard to believe at 6'5 230 McEvoy is better at getting separation based on speed. He was left wide open last year for that TD, maybe people just don't respect him ?
Williams has been making contested catches the past 2 weeks. If it came down to it, I'd like the guy who's proven to battle for the ball in the air.
Matter of fact, I don't know the last time we've seen anybody fight for balls like Kasen. Some of that may be on Russ' throws too, namely that TD.
For the record, I'm a big McEvoy fan and want to see him around. These are two very different players tho.
Not just speed. Savvy. McEvoy most certainly has shown he is very athletic and makes high-pointing the ball look effortless. He showed that last year.
My contention is McEvoy offers more. Kasen looks to be earning a roster spot somewhere if not Seattle.
Cheers!

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
sutz":2h004i9b said:
Coug_Hawk08":2h004i9b said:
I really enjoyed his TD. Throw to Kearse in back corner of end zone, 100% fail (same as last year). Next play, throw to Kasen in back for of end zone, TD.

He is definitely working hard for a spot! If we don't cut Kearse, I don't see Darboh making it over Kasen.
That's actually on Russ, not Kearse. He threw the ball behind him, not to the pylon like he should have. With Williams, he threw the ball high enough for him to go up and get it.

But agreed, Kasem needs to make the 53. If it's at Kearse's expense, I can live with it. Kearse has made some great clutch catches for us over the years, but he's had his share of drops, too. I doubt he gets cut, though, both from the roster perspective and the money we owe him.

I thought both of them were bad throws. Looked like they were bith thrown at the DBs head. Kasen however had the athletecism to go over the defender to get it. Kearse doesn't, which is why Ive never understood why they throw corner fades to him.

The Breh

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3rix8hiw said:
The Breh":3rix8hiw said:
Not just speed. Savvy. McEvoy most certainly has shown he is very athletic and makes high-pointing the ball look effortless. He showed that last year.
My contention is McEvoy offers more. Kasen looks to be earning a roster spot somewhere if not Seattle.
Cheers!

High-pointing ?
Williams high jumped 6'11
I don't think Russell has thrown anything high enough for us to see his radius.
This dude is not last years Pope.
I'm comfortable dumping PRich, as well as he's finally played in favor of KW because we do not have a big bodied receiver, minus McEvoy.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The Breh":3ip5pw6p said:

I doubt it's a lack of respect. He is playing against guys that if they get burned are looking for a new team. I honestly think he's fast and fluid enough that he takes people by surprise because he's really tall and big. He actually reminds me of a more athletic Jurevicious.

You're right in that we don't know what route tree they're running, but McEvoy does get much better separation that Williams does. So he either is better at finding the holes in the zones, or he's just harder to cover. I also see McEvoy running more outs that Williams. The thing is this: McEvoy didn't play WR in college. WIlliams did. McEvoy has only been in the system 1 year compared to 3 with Williams. yet McEvoy makes it look so much easier.

Williams reminds me of a larger and more athletic Kearse. Sure, they're great at fighting for the ball, but they have to because they're not creating great separation. Conversely, people are claiming Williams is the best at jump balls, yet McEvoy is 6'5" and could definitely go up and get the ball, but he hasn't had to because he creates such great separation. hope we keep McEvoy because he's also great on ST. I've liked Williams for a while and I'd like to see him as well.

Honestly, I'd like to see them cut Kearse. McEvoy has been touted as as good of a blocker as Kearse. I know we don't save money but cutting Jermaine this year, but it's worth it as I don't want to lose either McEvoy or Williams. Make no mistake, they will both be gone if we cut them.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I like McEvoy, but I really think opposing teams don't give him much respect and he's open because of it... I could be completely wrong though.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Being in Japan I didn't see the game, but I just watched the ESPN highlight of Kasen's one-handed catch... I'm pretty sure it came loose when he hit the ground, and it looked to me like the sort of thing that would get overturned on a challenge. Thoughts?

The Breh

Reaction score
You didn't get a good enough look.
That was a catch, no two ways about it..
Enjoy Japan !

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I would try and trade Kearse to a team desperate for WR help, same goes for Lane.