Kearse playing ahead of Tyler and Richardson

themunn

Reaction score
I think Kearse gets a bad rep because:

A: he had a lot of drops before he turned pro
B: his terrible rapping on the RRR
C: the Green Bay game

But none of it is deserved, his 11 catch game against the Panthers is the first double catch game we've had from a player since BMW - and he's not just a "toss it up because BMW will always win the jump ball" kind of receiver, that's through good route running and catching and all of the important qualities in a good WR.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I don't mind Kearse, he is a solid receiver.

There was a couple times he broke loose and I was thinking 'he's gone', only to notice he looked like clydesdale running.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
RW92":1wwwbnkd said:
Does any one agree with me that Kearse may have lost a step.

nope. because kearse never had a step to lose to begin with. separation was something he's never gotten, and most of his catches are contested.

hawker84

Reaction score
What else does this man have to do to earn folks trust around here? He's had some of the biggest catches in Seahawk history season after season, all while not separating from defenses? it's not his game.....

Natethegreat

Reaction score
vin.couve12":lit565l3 said:
Grahamhawker":lit565l3 said:
Good reminders, Vin, I didn't really interpet much Kearse-bashing here.

Ideas pick up steam really quick in threads. You get a majority and then it's all downhill from there.
I agree, but I would also say the same thing about AC and the over the top negativity on him.

On topic, the other two things Kearse has is durability and blocking. I can't even remember Kearse being injured and Paul Richardson just isn't going to be used in base downs nearly as much because of both reasons.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3vphrapc said:
Just for good measure because I'm a jerk.

[youtube]Oy-DMZw9fpI[/youtube]

In Kearse's second year, the guys in the booth had him review a touchdown catch of his. He explained how, as he was reading the defense, he thought they were in cover 2 and therefore he'd have to "widen" out the safety otherwise he'd be in the path of the ball. He was lined up in the slot with the safety about 15 yards from him on his inside hip. He ran his route about 25 degrees to the pylon, again lined up in the slot, so that the safety would have to cheat that way. About half way through the route he cut it about 30 degrees back inside. The safety that was previously inside shade and likely int he path of the ball, was now on his outside hip, giving him inside leverage to the ball...from the slot. RW delivered the touchdown right on queue.

Y'all can play madden and think about ratings all you want to, but you just can't teach that. To be able to read defenses like your QB and use geometry in motion and have it all come together for 6 is where it's at.

This is great information. More quality in this post than many. Thanks for the insight. I seemed to be on the rid us of Kearse wagon for a bit, but this post makes a lot of that go away. Thanks.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Smellyman":3s0k4h02 said:
I don't mind Kearse, he is a solid receiver.

There was a couple times he broke loose and I was thinking 'he's gone', only to notice he looked like clydesdale running.

Dont you mean MY Little Pony...running? :sarcasm_off:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I love Kearse. Mr. Clutch should be his nickname. He will never be a 'fantasy' stud like Baldwin or Lockett but Kearse is a tough SOB whose blocking skills are very underappreciated by most.
If there is one position group on this team I am very excited about this year, it's our receiver group. Dare I say one of the best in the league? Russ has no excuses this season. He is loaded with targets.

Ozzy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3qdapxus said:
Ridiculous notions in this thread. He's a glider who's exceptionally strong and rather wide shouldered for a WR and will run through defenders for extra yards and 1st downs on short passes. He's not the quickest WR out there for sure, but if you need a play downfield when everyone's covered, there's only a handful of WRs in the game I'd throw it to before Kearse.

FYI, he dropped exactly 1 pass last year to Baldwin's and Lockett's 2 drops. He also had the same drop rate as Baldwin the year before during the regular season. He's crucified for the 2 drops in the GB and somehow blamed for RW throwing into triple coverage on another. Beyond that, there's a certain level of insanity or slow learning as to what a player has done vs simply what people believe just....because.

[youtube]hN61MojQjrQ[/youtube]

You're off your rocker regarding the late season comments as well. Just plain certifiable section 8.

I particularly like that TD on Norman even though the other one is better in many ways. :lol:

How about the third down drop that probably seals the SB against NE?

The idea of Kearse dropping one ball is laughable. He had multiple balls that may not go down as a missed ball stat but are balls he has to catch. He had multiple timely third down balls that he should of come up with and he didnt. To say he had one dropped ball is misleadling at best. He has improved in that regard though and last year I thought was his best year by far in regards to reliability. If Richardson stays healthy he will cut way into Kearse's snaps and they already view Lockett as ahead of Kearse in order of importance and demanding the ball for obvious reasons.

I don't think all the criticism Kearse gets is fair but going to far the other way is just as faulty. He is what he is. He helps in the run game although shows lapses of effort routinely but when he's engaged he's an excellent run blocker which Seattle finds important in what they do. He doesn't come up with balls that good receivers will come up with whether we want to call them drops or not. He also has the ability to make the spectacular play and his TD against Denver in the SB is probably my favorite of that game. I think that's why we get so many opinions that wildly vary on here.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
vin.couve12":239ww3pm said:

In Kearse's second year, the guys in the booth had him review a touchdown catch of his. He explained how, as he was reading the defense, he thought they were in cover 2 and therefore he'd have to "widen" out the safety otherwise he'd be in the path of the ball. He was lined up in the slot with the safety about 15 yards from him on his inside hip. He ran his route about 25 degrees to the pylon, again lined up in the slot, so that the safety would have to cheat that way. About half way through the route he cut it about 30 degrees back inside. The safety that was previously inside shade and likely int he path of the ball, was now on his outside hip, giving him inside leverage to the ball...from the slot. RW delivered the touchdown right on queue.

Y'all can play madden and think about ratings all you want to, but you just can't teach that. To be able to read defenses like your QB and use geometry in motion and have it all come together for 6 is where it's at.
Very cool post. Thanks. And, I agree with FlyingGreg, no biggie. Still, Tyler Lockett is an unfreakinbelievable talent. He is absolutely starter quality. No question. He's just gettin started, too.

A

Anonymous

If I'm playing free safety against the Hawks in an obvious passing situation, and I see Baldwin, PRich and Kearse in trips left, with Jimmy in motion right covering the tackle...

I'm still playing Kearse across the middle. Even if it's a screen to ADB. If I don't, Dougie doesn't cross the line of scrimmage and tosses one across to Jermaine and I'm getting benched.

StoneCold

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1yl0du37 said:

Those were some tasty highlights. I think I will start referring to Kearse as a Bruise Brother. Guy can lay some wood!

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Basis4day":20l7ghpy said:
vin.couve12":20l7ghpy said:
Grahamhawker":20l7ghpy said:
Good reminders, Vin, I didn't really interpet much Kearse-bashing here.

Ideas pick up steam really quick in threads. You get a majority and then it's all downhill from there.

Thank you for pointing out the realities of his drop rate. The GB playoff game completely altered fans' perception of his play.
Right on the money. Kearse should be a hero in seahawks fans eyes. He has shown up and helped save the day on numerous occasions. It's as if some people will except nothing less than a td drive every time we get the ball, as well as three and out every time the defense step on the field. Like slamming Boykin for making a couple bad plays a game. My god, he is an udfa who has an amazingly high ceiling. Maybe we should shoot for a roster full of nothing but first and second round picks. Like I said in an earlier post, 99 percent great debate, 1 percent whine ass. And that may be generous on just 1 percent whine asses. Sit back and enjoy the ride, teams like this are rarely seen in today's nfl. We need to be hating on 31 teams, just not our own.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RW92":wlk3mp4r said:
Does any one agree with me that Kearse may have lost a step. At the end of last season he had a difficult time separating from the defender. Both Tyler L. and Paul Richardson look faster than him and create separation. I think they should play ahead of him.

We will have to see if he is able to produce as hoped for. If not we have to be able to stretch the field and that won't be with Kearse.
Doug Baldwin isn't as fast as either of them either; he's just a clutch Receiver that Wilson has come to trust, and Kearse has earned Wilson's trust.
Lockett & Richardson's time will come...Plays will be designed to take their ability of getting separation into consideration.
Steve Largent wasn't known for his ability to stretch the field either...Just knew how to catch the ball.

Largent80

Reaction score
How can someone say Kearse has lost a step?...I don't see it.

He made a sick catch vs. Oakland that was way behind him, all hands.

Dude has learned how to ball out in this offense.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
When Kearse started after Golden Tate left, he did ok but it was lackluster, he made 1 receiving TD in 2014, but will give him credit that he did play great in the postseason. I like others, had some harsh criticism of him, mainly due to his stats as a first time starter, but I'll give him the benefit of a doubt since we were a run first team and didn't use the spread like we do now.

Last year he did much better, once Lockett became a threat, Kearse ended up thriving again. This year if Richardson and Lockett are showing teams that they are a threat, and defense zoning in on Doug more. Kearse will probably get his best stats in his career, maybe 750-800 yards 6 TD.

We are lucky to keep him in our system for many more years as he knows it pretty well and it gives time for Lockett and future WRs to get better while learning it from Kearse. He's not going to be a world beater, but he's been very reliable so far for Wilson.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Kearse is a clutch WR and he has speed when he needs it.I remember it was his rookie year in pre season and he took a KO to the houseThere was speed,I wish I had that vid but I never forgot it because every time I hear he is slow it pops into my head.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I doubt the WR depth chart is listed in order of how many snaps each player gets. Besides, if we're still a run-first team, it makes sense that there would be more packages for our better blocking receivers.

kearly

Reaction score
Kearse has developed into a very efficient receiver. He blocks well, plays bigger than his slightly above average size, has strong hands, and can improvise with the best of them. He ranked 5th in the NFL in DVOA last season (3rd on the team). So while there are even more efficient receivers on our roster, it's not that Kearse is huge dropoff from the other guys.

Is Lockett a better WR than Kearse? Of course he is. But on two WR sets, you are probably running the ball more than you are passing it, and we've seen plenty of times when a RB bounced a run outside and ran a very long ways thanks to a strong outside block on a DB by Kearse or Baldwin. Lockett, for all his greatness, is a liability as a blocker.

Lockett is actually pretty good at beating press, not with his physicality but with his quickness. There is a reasonable case to be made that Lockett should be on the field on two WR sets, but for as long as Pete wants to have a run-first offense, it makes more sense to have Kearse out there.

I thought signing Kearse back was a no-brainer and his new contract with the team was one of the highlights this offseason. If he can maintain his 2015 performance level or at least come close to it, we won't regret having him on the field at all.

kearly

Reaction score
The biggest victim of SBXLIX was Kearse. If Seattle wins that game, his epic last minute catch goes into NFL lore like David Tyree's helmet catch.