Kearse playing ahead of Tyler and Richardson

themunn

Reaction score
I can't believe people argue about that third down drop/PD/whatever your take on it is as if it had some monumental bearing on the outcome of the game. Here's how it played out after.

3-2-NE 47 (1:12) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass incomplete deep left to 15-J.Kearse (21-M.Butler).
4-2-NE 47 (1:05) 9-J.Ryan punts 33 yards to NE 14, Center-49-C.Gresham, out of bounds.
New England Patriots at 00:55 1-10-NE 14 :)55) (Shotgun) 34-S.Vereen up the middle to NE 17 for 3 yards (31-K.Chancellor).
2-7-NE 17 :)17) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 46-J.Develin to NE 23 for 6 yards (50-K.Wright).
3-1-NE 23 (15:00) 71-C.Fleming has reported as eligible. 29-L.Blount right tackle to NE 22 for -1 yards (31-K.Chancellor).
4-2-NE 22 (14:28) 6-R.Allen punts 48 yards to SEA 30, Center-48-D.Aiken. 19-B.Walters to SEA 36 for 6 yards (18-M.Slater).

So we got the ball back 15 yards deeper than where we were when Kearse had that no catch. Then we went run run for a total of 3 yards and Wilson was sacked on third down. That and our subsequent three and out in the following drive are the two that actually mattered. 4th quarter meltdown.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Because we go on to score and possibly put it out of reach. We had a chance to put the game away there, burn more clock and back NE into a corner.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Kearse is probably the best improvising receiver on the team. When Russ goes sandlot, Kearse seems to be his best target.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
themunn":2u3v2em7 said:
I can't believe people argue about that third down drop/PD/whatever your take on it is as if it had some monumental bearing on the outcome of the game. Here's how it played out after.

3-2-NE 47 (1:12) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass incomplete deep left to 15-J.Kearse (21-M.Butler).
4-2-NE 47 (1:05) 9-J.Ryan punts 33 yards to NE 14, Center-49-C.Gresham, out of bounds.
New England Patriots at 00:55 1-10-NE 14 :)55) (Shotgun) 34-S.Vereen up the middle to NE 17 for 3 yards (31-K.Chancellor).
2-7-NE 17 :)17) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 46-J.Develin to NE 23 for 6 yards (50-K.Wright).
3-1-NE 23 (15:00) 71-C.Fleming has reported as eligible. 29-L.Blount right tackle to NE 22 for -1 yards (31-K.Chancellor).
4-2-NE 22 (14:28) 6-R.Allen punts 48 yards to SEA 30, Center-48-D.Aiken. 19-B.Walters to SEA 36 for 6 yards (18-M.Slater).

So we got the ball back 15 yards deeper than where we were when Kearse had that no catch. Then we went run run for a total of 3 yards and Wilson was sacked on third down. That and our subsequent three and out in the following drive are the two that actually mattered. 4th quarter meltdown.

You'll get no argument from me on this post. Also noting that Butler was credited with a PBU there....

Ozzy

Reaction score
So know argument that if caught that pass we dont significantly increase our odds of winning? Really? I can see arguing if it should of been caught but we score if he comes down with that ball.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
All I know is what I've seen, after having one of the worst games possible he ran a perfect route and caught his second consecutive NFC championship game winning pass and arguably the biggest in Hawks history. Last year he had a 72% catch rate, only 6 players were better and two of those were his teammates. Not sure what more the kid can do to earn your respect but he's in my Hawks hall of fame already.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Kearse is aight. His stone cold FA market was telling. He is our #3 now and that is not a bad thing.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Kearse actually does stretch the field. He is sneaky-fast enough, but the real reason is his uncanny ability to go up and get contested balls deep, and RW's confidence in throwing deep to him. Opposing safeties have to respect that deep threat when Kearse is in. Along with his very good run blocking, Kearse brings a unique and highly valuable skill set to the 'Hawks.

The kicker is Kearse's outstanding football intelligence and rapport with Wilson, and each seeing and reading exactly what the other is seeing and reading, and then adjusting and executing in real time. Much of that stuff is only apparent when watching a slow-mo breakdown, along with hearing Kearse and/or Wilson explain what was happening and why they did what they did.

For example, the 4th-and-7 TD vs SF that sent Seattle to Super Bowl 48 was one of those plays. All of the Seattle receivers, including Kearse, had to correctly recognize the offsides and adjust their routes to go routes. All did. QB and receiver reading the same thing and executing, in real time, in crucial situation, vs. elite* defensive pressure... TD, Super Bowl.

The other example that Vin mentioned with Kearse reading what he needed to do to keep the safety out of the play is just typical Kearse. Super football-smart player who is on the same page with Wilson. Things that most fans don't see, that aren't obvious even on replay (without accompanying commentary) but that make Kearse extremely valuable.

For me, I'm just going to enjoy Kearse and what he brings to the table. It's a unique and highly valuable skill set, especially to the 'Hawks. As others have pointed out, separation through quickness is not his game. His game is separation through smarts and chemistry, along with making those contested catches when there is little separation. (and the run blocking) It became clear when Kearse got paid that the team truly valued his contributions and his contract was a reward for that past value as well as the increasing value they expect going forward.

* SF did have an elite D that season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":e09fwf1p said:
Kearse is aight. His stone cold FA market was telling. He is our #3 now and that is not a bad thing.

Can't think of many teams where Kearse would be as valuable as he is to us. Big part of his value is in the rapport and chemistry with Wilson. While in theory he would be highly valuable to Carolina, in practice, Cam Newton is just not as football smart as Wilson, and it would take a couple years for Kearse and Newton to get anything resembling the chemistry Kearse and Wilson have.

What hasn't been talked about as much in this thread is Kearse's value on special teams. I recall the Dallas game in 2012 where Kearse blocked a punt and caught a TD in the same game. The second video that Vin posted also had lots of Kearse special team highlights--forcing fumbles as a tackler, among other things. Kearse is just a super-valuable player to the 'Hawks, all the way around.

So I don't really think Kearse's limited FA market value says all that much about his value to the Seahawks.

OP
OP
R

RW92

Reaction score
So far Baldwin is playing great in the first half. But a weakness that I saw in pre-season is coming to the fore at least in this first game and that is deep separation down the field. I know that Ifedi isn't there and Sowell is having a tough day but Russell is having a difficult time when needed to find someone open. Hopefully we will make changes during the half and get out of this ugly game with a win.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The problem with Kearse and to a lesser extent Baldwin is our offensive line. They are both good receivers but they lack the quickness needed to gain seperation right off the line and behind this line ,our QB doesn't have time to wait for a route to develop.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Come on now...Baldwin's 6.56 3-Cone time is in the top 15 fastest in the NFL FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS and probably ever.

Baldwin doesn't have great long speed. Matter of fact, Kearse's long speed is actually better, but no WR in the NFL has better quickness than Baldwin. And I can say that with a strait face and no bias what so ever. Baldwin is ultra, ultra quick.

And Lockett should rebound from this last game. Was that 2 or 3 drops? I thought it was 2, but someone else said 3.

OP
OP
R

RW92

Reaction score
I say the team needs just one receiver the caliber of an Antonio Brown and I'm telling you it would make the ball boy right down to the cheerleaders better. Just one. We lack that sure kill, speed, game changer.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":wavbpl09 said:
Come on now...Baldwin's 6.56 3-Cone time is in the top 15 fastest in the NFL FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS and probably ever.

Baldwin doesn't have great long speed. Matter of fact, Kearse's long speed is actually better, but no WR in the NFL has better quickness than Baldwin. And I can say that with a strait face and no bias what so ever. Baldwin is ultra, ultra quick.

And Lockett should rebound from this last game. Was that 2 or 3 drops? I thought it was 2, but someone else said 3.

Baldwin is way underrated, he has some slick moves that allows him to get in position for the quick passes...Kind of reminds me of Steve Largent, who wasn't exactly known for being a speedster either.
Baldwin was pretty sensational as a Rookie, and if I recall correctly he was right up there in most catches, with some Veteran Receivers all around the League.
Baldwin has become Wilson's go-to-guy, and Kearse is running a close second.
Familiarity thru repetition....> Lockett & Richardson will get there soon enough.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1g4u5pqp said:

Baldwin is way underrated, he has some slick moves that allows him to get in position for the quick passes...Kind of reminds me of Steve Largent, who wasn't exactly known for being a speedster either.
Baldwin was pretty sensational as a Rookie, and if I recall correctly he was right up there in most catches, with some Veteran Receivers all around the League.
Baldwin has become Wilson's go-to-guy, and Kearse is running a close second.
Familiarity thru repetition....> Lockett & Richardson will get there soon enough.

Latest posts