Keep on Keepin' on Josh Gordon!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
jammerhawk":2z7yf1fb said:
More accurately Gordon could be a game changer.

He wasn't here long enough to know for sure if he is a game changer in the team's system. He did catch a few clutch slant passes and when RW has experience with him could become a game changer.

If combined in a system where RW was protected long enough to go through progressions this player could be a real asset with Lockett and Metcalf.

You're right JAmmer, but a player has to have a chance before he can be proven. Thing is he has prove every chance he's gotten. He just hasn't been able to hang in long enough to prove it on a consistent basis. So that is a problem, but I can sure see a bright light shining on the other side of that problem! We just gotta hope he can outrun that shadow.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
People seem to forget that his problem is not just Marijuana, but also alcohol. Early suspensions in his career were because of excessive alcohol consumption and he was getting tested for alcohol throughout the season. If he still has the alcohol restriction and can’t even consume a legal drink in moderation, his career is toast.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Appyhawk":ioptqfo4 said:
SoulfishHawk":ioptqfo4 said:
I doubt I'm the only one who thought "We sure could have used Gordon on that last drive" after the Niners game. Incredible hands and there is a very good chance he would have made the play had the ball went his way.

All in with you for Gordon pard. He's a keeper.
His suspension is " indefinitely ". That would seem to indicate it could be rescinded at any time. I'm holding out hope that is exactly what happens. Like I've said repeatedly I want to see him back working with the team. He can be a difference maker.

Waste of time.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
ludakrishna":177d8ons said:
People seem to forget that his problem is not just Marijuana, but also alcohol. Early suspensions in his career were because of excessive alcohol consumption and he was getting tested for alcohol throughout the season. If he still has the alcohol restriction and can’t even consume a legal drink in moderation, his career is toast.
He has also been into the hard stuff including drinking codeine cough syrup. Everyone assumes weed but I dont think his latest screw up has ever been identified?

sutz

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2zvoomk0 said:
ludakrishna":2zvoomk0 said:
He has also been into the hard stuff including drinking codeine cough syrup. Everyone assumes weed but I dont think his latest screw up has ever been identified?
Their policy is to not identify the actual substance he tested for. They did say this last time it was violation of the recreational and PED policy. I'm not sure that actually means he tested positive for both or whether the policy has been combined now, so they just give that generic label.

Just on a personal level, I hope he is getting help. Having fought some of those demons myself, I can understand the difficulty in getting clean. Josh in on his 7th (?) suspension now, so the league might be done with him, regardless if they loosen their restrictions against marijuana.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1r94d67k said:
Sgt. Largent":1r94d67k said:
Uncle Si":1r94d67k said:
Gordon is an interesting case. Does anyone know if the NFL has explored changing their marijuana policy given all the changes taking place across states?

I believe the NFL has stated that states passing their own marijuana laws doesn't affect the CBA.................but most people think that the NFL will follow MLB's lead when the new CBA is hammered out this year, and finally allow weed usage.

The question for Gordon is would the league reverse or withdraw his suspension(s) retroactively if weed was allowed?
I've heard the owners want to use relaxation of marijuana use as a bargaining chip in the negotiations. That does not surprise me one iota.

Right, because it's a smart negotiation tactic.

You want weed, give us another game or two of regular season games.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
IIRC the Gordon and Woods suspension came on the heels of about 1/4 of our team battling severe flu symptoms. Aren't codeine and alcohol sometimes ingredients in cold and flu remedies, even over the counter stuff? I don't use any of that stuff so I don't know for sure, just conjecture.
Never knew about any alcohol problem w/Gordon, but I think the weed thing is just a matter of time for league to accept a different stance.
As for Gordon being a "waste of time"...seems to me anyone with outstanding talent, amiable personality, and solid work ethic, is worth the effort. It's habitual liars, thieves, and the like, that I am willing to write off as intolerable.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Vesuve":37y4epgh said:
Appyhawk":37y4epgh said:
SoulfishHawk":37y4epgh said:
I doubt I'm the only one who thought "We sure could have used Gordon on that last drive" after the Niners game. Incredible hands and there is a very good chance he would have made the play had the ball went his way.

All in with you for Gordon pard. He's a keeper.
His suspension is " indefinitely ". That would seem to indicate it could be rescinded at any time. I'm holding out hope that is exactly what happens. Like I've said repeatedly I want to see him back working with the team. He can be a difference maker.

Waste of time.

Waste of time has been keeping Mr. Glass on the roster for as long as they have. Prosise needs to be gone.

sutz

Reaction score
Appyhawk":f7kp57pv said:
IIRC the Gordon and Woods suspension came on the heels of about 1/4 of our team battling severe flu symptoms. Aren't codeine and alcohol sometimes ingredients in cold and flu remedies, even over the counter stuff? I don't use any of that stuff so I don't know for sure, just conjecture.
Never knew about any alcohol problem w/Gordon, but I think the weed thing is just a matter of time for league to accept a different stance.
As for Gordon being a "waste of time"...seems to me anyone with outstanding talent, amiable personality, and solid work ethic, is worth the effort. It's habitual liars, thieves, and the like, that I am willing to write off as intolerable.
Codiene is a controlled drug. Not OTC, prescription only.

HawkerD

Reaction score
sutz":3jczissu said:
Codiene is a controlled drug. Not OTC, prescription only.

I remeber in the 80's You used to able to get cough syrup with codine and tylenol 3 (with Codine) over the counter in Canada. Not sure if they changed that or not.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Some cold and flu medicines have alcohol in them. Heck...Peppermint extract is 40 percent alcohol. How do I know? I read it on the bottle. I dont use it that much anymore. I prefer shnapps. LOL

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1dc8fhju said:
Wish we had him in the playoffs. He has glue on his hands...or resin...something that makes the ball stick! Hope he works it out.

maybe that's the violation?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
So should we sign him for next year?

As long as he's indefinitely suspended without pay, we don't have to pay him nor does he take up a roster spot. And knowing he's signed might inspire him to clean up.

The Breh

Reaction score
Sac":w1qtybc7 said:
LOL at codeine cough syrup being "the hard stuff."
It's been a fad for quite some time.
People get addicted to and die from the associated seizures.
It's absolutely a thing.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Appyhawk":mcm8rdp1 said:
Seahawkfan80":mcm8rdp1 said:
Some cold and flu medicines have alcohol in them. Heck...Peppermint extract is 40 percent alcohol. How do I know? I read it on the bottle. I dont use it that much anymore. I prefer shnapps. LOL

Somehow that comment matches up to your av perfectly! :lol: :lol:

:2thumbs:

kf3339

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":921fswoc said:

As long as he's indefinitely suspended without pay, we don't have to pay him nor does he take up a roster spot. And knowing he's signed might inspire him to clean up.

If he is a UFA again, then I would do it. But I believe since he was suspended indefinitely while on our 53 man roster he is signed to us until the suspension is lifted. If that is the case he is still under our control, so we will see. Either way I still give him another chance with us.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":3emtfqi6 said:
SantaClaraHawk":3emtfqi6 said:

If he is a UFA again, then I would do it. But I believe since he was suspended indefinitely while on our 53 man roster he is signed to us until the suspension is lifted. If that is the case he is still under our control, so we will see. Either way I still give him another chance with us.
Absolutely agree. I don't see any possibility of finding an equal talent for anywhere near the contract level he is likely to attract. And because he likes it here better than anywhere he's been I suspect that will be incentive for him to make it work. If he can discover the self discipline required... But if he looks at his alternatives I'd think he could reason up enough muster to do what he needs to make it work. There's always life after football is done to dip into the other world.