Kenny Easley Hall Of Fame Finalist

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I've never seen him play in a game (I wasn't born yet) but with the honors and critical acclaim he received he should definitely be at the very least in consideration for the hall. Being arguably better than Earl, who is almost a lock to make it as well, should tell enough of the story.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1d1ig0mw said:
I've never seen him play in a game (I wasn't born yet) but with the honors and critical acclaim he received he should definitely be at the very least in consideration for the hall. Being arguably better than Earl, who is almost a lock to make it as well, should tell enough of the story.
Kenny Easley makes Kam Chancellor look like a powder puff. The greatest Seahawk Safety ever based on talent. He was the BOOM before the LOB. Pure beast.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I just heard about this a few minutes ago while driving around and listening to Neil Scott's update. I let out a huge WHOOOOO! and gave a big fist pump. As many have said, this is fantastic news and is something that is LONG overdue.

Overseasfan":16avkdio said:

Yeah, for those who never saw him play -- Easley was a man playing among boys -- a true freak of nature with fantastic athleticism, hitting ability, instincts. He was the whole package. Think Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor all combined into one player -- that was Kenny Easley. Easley is certainly the best safety in Seahawks History ... and one of the best safeties I've ever seen -- period.

For those like yourself who never saw him play, I'd check out the old NFL films clip of Kenny Easley that Maulbert posted above -- just to give you guys who are too young to have seen him play a little taste of the kind of player Easley was ...

... and here's a newer one featuring Kenny himself with highlights from both his UCLA and Seahawks days ...

[youtube]s4A0Yl4gyeM[/youtube]

Absolutely, freaking dominant player whom I fully contend (if we could somehow magically reconstitute him and make him in his prime) could step onto a football field today and dominate the exact same way. No disrespect whatsoever to Kam Chancellor, but there's no question in my mind that he'd wrest the starting SS away from him. Absolutely, positively one of the greatest safeties the game has ever seen. Hawksfansinceday1 is spot on -- he is the Gayle Sayers of the defensive side of the ball and absolutely deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Give his current health situation, it would be really nice to see him get inducted and for him to finally get that recognition he well deserves during his lifetime.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/08/15/nfl-world-reacts-kenny-easleys-selection-pro-football-hall-fame-senior-finalist?sf33460340=1[/urltargetblank]

The link is from .com and has twitter reactions to the announcement

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
OK, can someone explain to my dumb ass, does this mean that Kenny is IN, or is there another step?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2leq17zt said:
OK, can someone explain to my dumb ass, does this mean that Kenny is IN, or is there another step?

I don't know what the exact process is for the seniors, so I won't guess here, but I do know that this is just a first step. He's still got to beat out others and get the necessary votes. Nomination though is a good first step

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":1pnzdmpz said:
Sports Hernia":1pnzdmpz said:

I don't know what the exact process is for the seniors, so I won't guess here, but I do know that this is just a first step. He's still got to beat out others and get the necessary votes. Nomination though is a good first step
Ah, ok. Thank you sir! :2thumbs:

Maulbert

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":9k2t576z said:

He bypasses all other steps with the exception of the final vote right before the Super Bowl in Houston in February. If he garners 80% of the vote, he's in. There will be someone there to champion his cause. I wouldn't mind it being Ronnie Lott.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Maulbert":28jcb6nn said:
Sports Hernia":28jcb6nn said:

He bypasses all other steps with the exception of the final vote right before the Super Bowl in Houston in February. If he garners 80% of the vote, he's in. There will be someone there to champion his cause. I wouldn't mind it being Ronnie Lott.

OK, so I just got through reading up on this more ...

http://www.profootballhof.com/kenny-easley-selected-as-finalist-for-HOF-class-of-2017/

So, the Hall of Fame Committee meets on 2/4/2017 to decide on their list of 18 Finalists for the HOF ... and their 1 Senior Finalist (who just so happens to be Kenny Easley this time around). The vote on Easley is completely independent of the other 18 Finalists ... so what Maulbert said above here seems to be correct. All he needs is for 80% of the members of the committee to vote for him -- and he's in -- he'll be a Hall of Famer. Pure and simple. I would think that would be an absolute slam dunk, but we'll see. Good for Easley. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Update ...

For those who are interested, there have been 56 Senior Finalists named for the Pro Football Hall of Fame since it was first instituted back in 1972. And now Kenny Easley makes it 57 Senior Finalists. Of the 54 previous players nominated as Senior Finalists (neither Lou Creekmur nor Henry Jordan made it their first time being nominated, but each made the Hall of Fame on their 2nd time being nominated), 43 made the Hall of Fame (79.6%). If history is any indication, Easley has an extremely good shot at being named a Hall of Famer ...

http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/senior-finalists/

chris98251

Reaction score
If we do well this year following our rise those on the fence may vote for based on situational circumstances, he more then deserves it, he holds the standard of what anyone playing safety Free or Strong would love to be, speed, size, hands and the ability to tilt the field from anywhere on the field.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":13pl2tpq said:

There is another step but frankly his odds are much higher than a typical HoF nominee because he's a Senior.

Honestly, given what we have as a legacy, I think there is Easley, and that's about it. If they induct him into the HoF, I am happy with all the previous 40+ seasons, we're good.

I do think there are a handful of guys on our current roster that could easily be a wave of inductees, especially if they get to (and ideally win) another Super Bowl, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Easley was clearly the best at his position for the majority of the time he played in the NFL. He absolutely struck fear into the hearts of WR everywhere. Teams had to game plan for him, and that's a rarity when it comes to safety play.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Clayton said on the radio that he was going to really push to get Kenny in.
Between Clayton, Ronnie Lott, and others that played with and against him, hopefully that will be enough to make it happen.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2tk5d3hc said:
Clayton said on the radio that he was going to really push to get Kenny in.
Between Clayton, Ronnie Lott, and others that played with and against him, hopefully that will be enough to make it happen.

As I noted above, 43 of the 54 previous players who were Senior Nominees were elected to the Hall of Fame (basically 80% of all those who were named as Senior Finalists). If history is any indication, Easley has a very good shot of making it.

Heyseed

Reaction score
I heard this news on the radio today
Awesome! :2thumbs:

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
So deserving. That was such a great season, 10 int's, 2 pic 6's, Defensive POY.

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
This is awesome news. Plus, if he gets in that means I can finally get a Kenny Easley throwback jersey! I've been scouring the internet for years and haven't been able to find one anywhere.