Kevin Pierre-Louis Traded

getnasty

Reaction score
ivotuk":nwb0wo5b said:
Polk738":nwb0wo5b said:
chris98251":nwb0wo5b said:
Next year we will be talking about the All Pro Strong Safety for the Chiefs and how did he get away from us. They seem to have a magic touch with our cast offs.

No doubt, it kills me to know we could've had Spencer Ware

Ware now had a better offensive line, which makes him better. I don't think he was the type of guy that created yardage behind a bad line like our current roster of RBs, especially Thomas Rawls.

Love this trade. We have too many bad memories to keep one more glaring one around.

Spencer Ware is way overrated, anybody looks good in KC

northseahawk

Reaction score
KPL traded 1 year too late. We would have played in the superbowl last year if it weren't for him and his all time worst penalty at Atlanta!!!!!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Very Aaron Curryish in "on field performance".
I had high hopes for him, he just never panned out.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Moved to defensive end in '11, seeing action in 10 games (five starts) and totaling 12-6.5-5.5 with one pass batted and two forced fumbles. Missed three games with an ankle injury.

Took over as the starting left defensive end in '12 and posted 29-7-4 with two passes batted, one interception and two forced fumbles in 13 starts.

Caught two-point conversion passes against Kentucky and Missouri State.

Was the American Athletic Conference's Defensive Player of the Year in '13, starting 13 games and recording 42-18.5-14.5 with three passes batted, four forced fumbles and a blocked kick.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543725

Josea16

Reaction score
northseahawk":14gm2ngl said:
KPL traded 1 year too late. We would have played in the superbowl last year if it weren't for him and his all time worst penalty at Atlanta!!!!!!
Nobody can prove this. Though trust me this trade may work out for both sides, they needed a decent linebacker and we needed a stud ST player. Win, win for both in the least. Otherwise we robbed them because he is a special teams ace no question. He's basically a Ricardo Lockette type.

Seafan

Reaction score
Good transaction day for the Hawks. Really added to the pile for camp.

I'm wondering if Dion Jordan will be on the roster next week.

The team needed to get some youth at LB and this helps since they didn't draft any. Guys like Nick Usher have a good chance at being on the PS this season and providing future depth but the Hawk special teams really need this infusion of talent. The STs have been in a steady decline since 2013 and can possibly be a difference maker regarding home field advantage this season.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I love this trade for the Hawks, but can also appreciate why the Chiefs made this deal as well. Lets look at both players, from the viewpoint of each team.

Kevin Pierre-Louis (KPL)

It's no secret that KPL was over-drafted by the Hawks based on his freakish SPARQ scores before the draft. Based on his tape, most considered him a late round or UDFA prospect prior to the combine/pro day period. But he recorded the 2nd highest SPARQ score of any draft-eligible player in 2014, just behind Ryan Shazier, and just ahead of Khalil Mack. Unfortunately for KPL, at his best position in the Hawks D (WLB) he was stuck behind KJ Wright, and his struggles with reads and pass drops in coverage didn't allow him to take advantage of what was a wide open SLB position since Bruce Irvin's departure. He was unable to compensate for his middling LB play with stellar play on special teams, instead producing serviceable-but-unspectacular ST's play. In that regard, there was little-to-no upside left in KPL for the Hawks, and as this will be the last year of his contract before becoming a UFA after the season, he was unlikely to suddenly play and produce at a level that would warrant a contract in free agency large enough to even register in the comp pick formula. The Chiefs clearly saw an opportunity to try out KPL as an ILB in their biltz-heavy 3-4 scheme, a role more suited to KPL's abilities where he'll have fewer reads and pass coverage responsibilities, and be able to shoot gaps as a pass-rusher more often - something he did well at Boston College. Ultimately this will serve as a one year 'try before you buy' opportunity for the Chiefs, who'll be able to gauge whether KPL could be a potential replacement for Derrick Johnson at the LILB position before possibly trying to lock him up on a new contract before he hits free agency.

D.J. Alexander (DJA)

The Chiefs' scout who ID'd Alexander said after the 2015 draft that their selection of DJA was ostensibly made entirely based on his special teams potential. In that regard, they nailed the pick. But as a LB, DJA was completely miscast as a 3-4 ILB in KC trying to fill gaps against uncovered OG's in the running game, and thus offered no plausible long-term potential as an option to eventually replace Derrick Johnson (who could retire after 2017, and who has zero shot at seeing the $8M on the final year of his contract in 2018). The Chiefs will always have stellar ST's under Dave Toub, and could afford to sacrifice and parlay a player like DJA into a potentially more serviceable LB prospect better-suited to their defensive scheme in KPL (who is also an experienced and athletic ST's player as well). For the Hawks, DJA will slot in behind KJ Wright as the backup WLB in their 4-3, a role he's much more naturally suited to. The backup to an All-Pro-caliber OLB has to really bring it on ST's, and DJA can and will certainly do that as an elite 'core four' ST's player (Pro Bowl last season)....certainly at a level much, much higher than KPL did. DJA was said to be a very popular personality in the Chiefs' locker room, while KPL has unfortunately had to manage his documented challenges with depression. DJA is also under contract for two more seasons (vs. one for KPL), ostensibly at the minimum.

So again, each team is getting a LB who is better suited to their particular scheme than the player they're trading away. The Chiefs were looking for a player with a higher ceiling on defense due to the impending closure of Derrick Johnson's career, and the Hawks were looking for an upgrade in ST's from their backup WLB who, regardless of his name, will be blocked by KJ Wright. In that regard, both teams succeeded and did well here, the Seahawks in particular.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Nice trade for the Seahawks, nabbing a Pro Bowl special teamer under two years of team control. KPL's lack of development, mainly due to personal issues, was frustrating, but I wish him nothing but the best. If Alexander develops into a viable backup LB, that would be a bonus.

LargentFan

Reaction score
For some reason, likely the K in both names, I always think of KJ Wright when someone mentions KPL. I was freaking out when this news came through.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
GLio14":1apjky8i said:
I know KPL has been battling a lot with his own demons so I hope he succeeds in KC.

I can't forget however, that penalty that essentially screwed us over against Atlanta. That was so brutal.
The non-penalty penalty?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
chris98251":3m4ky3j6 said:
Next year we will be talking about the All Pro Strong Safety for the Chiefs and how did he get away from us. They seem to have a magic touch with our cast offs.
Watch him turn into another Ron Parker. lol

edogg23

Reaction score
I was high on KPL. His speed made him really flash on some plays. Unfortunately he seemed to battle injuries early on and then when he finally did get his chances he just wasn't prepared to step up for whatever reason. The talent level is there, I just don't know if it was meant to be for this guy.