KJ Wright...has lost his mind.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2xq6bjcs said:
Ummmm...hey KJ. Do you think that cheesy helmet is going to do any good if something goes wrong here?
If he somehow falls off the freeway-wide path for some bizarre reason (or exceptionally strong wind gust), the tether will assure that he falls inward toward the tower and that he will fall no more than the length of the tether. If he slams into the tower he could potentially hit his head, so the helmet would be plenty useful.

We have a similar walkway around the top of our Sky Tower, but the tether attaches to a guide rail above so there's no need for silly helmets.

SkyWalk-Group-Sitting-off-1024x679.jpg

Skywalk auckland in auckland 409880

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that everyone in those films is dead by now. You can't survive long taking those kind of chances.

Josea16

Reaction score
pmedic920":mlf87wfi said:
I can't confirm with 100% accuracy but I heard a "rumor".
This is KJ walking the very outer ring on the Space Needle.

Holy Catfish, safety line or not, don't think I could/would do it.

afc9dc03f31a7f20a4f1fd70d071b8df.png
Better this then skydiving. Though that person in that video is insane.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":hkqv81s7 said:
pmedic920":hkqv81s7 said:
Here's some other fool doing it.
This picture shows better what's actually going on.

I've always enjoyed a good adrenaline rush but I see nothing exhilarating about this.
Diff strokes I guess.
34546b29185f4a2346acb88849ea837c.jpg

It looks like the guy just farted a small boat.

He looks like he ATE a small boat

253hawk

Reaction score
Huh, I didn't even know this was a thing. Interesting tether design...I was wondering how it would work since in most cases, you have to hook up a secondary tether, unhook the primary, then hook the secondary forward of each anchoring point for the main line. Looks like it just pulls through and then self-locks.

[youtube]Ew5io2RMeh0[/youtube]

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I'll pass. Heights never bothered me when I was a kid. Then I fell about 30' out of a hay loft onto a concrete floor. That looks slightly higher than 30' feet.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":3qk31q6d said:
Ummmm...hey KJ. Do you think that cheesy helmet is going to do any good if something goes wrong here?

That helmet is for if he falls left and not right. Obviously.

I used to build systems scaffold. Farthest I've been up is over 300 feet. It's made out of metal bars which are 2 1/2" wide, and when you're building the frame you walk those. It's not planked until you move up and the guys below you are coming up as well. People have seen pictures of it and are like "oh, hell no". It's funny, as I've walked girders that are less than 1/4 of the width they're walking in those pictues, and it felt weird and awkward because it wasn't metal bars. You get used to it. The Iron workers that have been around us were saying the same thing, that they wouldn't walk those bars, but they literally run on those girders.

Is that something you can pay to do on the Space Needle ?

253hawk

Reaction score
https://www.spaceneedle.com/b2s-faq/

The halo walk is part of a fundraiser that involves ascending the 98 flights of stairs up to the deck (any one can do the climb). Then the top 10 donors and 2 randomly chosen participants will get to do the halo walk.

It would be neat if it's something they could make permanent as part of the new renovations for anyone to try, like the rides at the top of the Stratosphere in Vegas.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
253hawk":3dm722y5 said:
https://www.spaceneedle.com/b2s-faq/

The halo walk is part of a fundraiser that involves ascending the 98 flights of stairs up to the deck (any one can do the climb). Then the top 10 donors and 2 randomly chosen participants will get to do the halo walk.

It would be neat if it's something they could make permanent as part of the new renovations for anyone to try, like the rides at the top of the Stratosphere in Vegas.

According to the video posted above you're close, it says top ten fund raisers and the 2 fastest climbers.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
So, I had no idea that the "base to space" fund raiser existed but my wife knew, and she's the one that sent me the picture in the OP.

Here's a screen shot of a part of our conversation.
Seems she has her sights set on climbing.
I've been trying (with no luck) for several years to get her to ride the elevator up. She always refuses due to a fear of high places.
8943d167936a1363e24f43223bcb9d83.png

Doubt it will be this year, we are planning (planning =paying for) a spring wedding for our daughter.
But if she says she's doing it, she will do it. In my house that means I'll be doing it too. I'll just have to make sure she raises a ton of cash, she won't be able to refuse the halo walk if she wins the opportunity.

I'll probably be calling on y'all to help with my effort:{)

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I Jumped off the Sky Tower in Auckland,NZ in 2002. It was a cable descent but it took some balls to take that first step for sure. Walk around strapped in.. No Problem.
Loved NZ btw KiwiHawk, thanks for having me.

Latest posts