KJ Wright: I wouldn't pay Geno more than $20M

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yup, watching the Cowboys-49ers Division Round playoff game, I was thinking, and announcers also saying, "This is Dak's moment, his opportunity to define his legacy with a game-winning drive here", and each opportunity, Dak failed. Dak's two picks cost the Cowboys 13 points (lost 7 not scored plus 3 on resulting 49ers FG, plus another 3 on 49ers FG) in a game they lost by 7. Blame it on Dak losing Tony Pollard? Sure, but that's just acknowledging Dak's not a carry-the-team-with-his-passing kind of player, against good defenses.

Geno had some very good late-game play in several key games, but failed to move the needle in several others when he had the opportunity to carry the team. An O-Line talent failure more than a Geno failure? Possibly. We really won't know how PC/JS see it until they either sign Geno or let him walk.
Agreed, it's definitely adds to the fun wondering where the ceiling is money wise that the Seahawks would be willing to set aside for Mr Smith. He played like a very good QB for much of the season and had a few tough weeks but there were running game issues which may or might not have made things difficult.

And agreed (again) that Dallas was in that game , the defense for Dallas kept them in it giving Prescott but he auto-erotic asphyxiated himself in Santa Clara.

Blazin Hawk

Reaction score
I’m fine bringing Geno back for a couple of years as long as we’re grooming someone behind him. I’d love to see us use this draft to completely revamp the defense and then try to find a QB later that may have some potential. Hendon Hooker would be a nice stash. How high would he of been drafted had be not got injured and won the heisman and possibly a national championship?

Fade

Reaction score
You're saying the Cowboys overpaid for Dak? I'm on the fence on this one, maybe because Dak DID light up bad defenses, and he did beat the Eagles and score against their D when Jalen Hurts was injured. He sure FAILed against the 49ers defense. Glad it's Jerruh's problem.

I don't think we can pay Geno $40M or even $30M and field a competitive team on both sides of the ball.

We do have some pieces in place, cheap-and-good O-Line, that could help us have a window. Geno was fantastic overall this year, but I'd just as soon see the Hawks create the overall team foundation, and go heavy on the D front 7 and the OL in the draft and free agency. We picked up 5 starters in the '22 draft, and have similar draft capital this year. If John & Co. (not Pete) can nail another draft and get 5 more quality starters in '23, we'd have roughly 12 out of 22 starters on rookie contracts. Add a couple Nwosu/Avril/Bennett quality signings, and we'd have a good and cheap team. Then, do we spend $30M on Geno at the cost of being about 2-3 quality players down, for cap reasons? Do we take a QB in the draft and hope we get lucky?

I agree 100% with KJ that if another Lombardi is our target, we need to keep Geno at max $20M of cap, or we'll be a Divisional-and-Done team just like with Russell after he got paid. Rather than pay Geno $30M, I'd rather try to sign Lock for a 2-3 year backup deal if $5M with incentives to $15M if he becomes our starter, and/or take a QB in the draft if there's one that Pete and John like. SF took a developmental QB 7th round flyer on Brock Purdy and it's saved their season; PC/JS never, IIRC, *drafted* a developmental QB since Russell in the 3rd, apparently to avoid triggering Mr. Limited's feelings. (Please correct me if I'm wrong and Hawks have *drafted* developmental QB(s))

Stroud, Levis, or Young would appear to be potential targets at #5. I'd be OK with Young, after realizing that 5'9" 180 lb Warrick Dunn played 11 years in the NFL--at RUNNING BACK. QB is a much more protected position than it ever used to be. So a similarly sized Young *could* hold up.

Loved what Geno did for us this year, but he's not a tilt-the-field player. Wilson, on his rookie deal, was, because of his running threat, and his cheap rookie deal allowed the Hawks to buy additional talent and make it to two Super Bowls. I have to come down on the side of NO on betting on Geno at $30M per, if Lombardi is our goal.

Dak is overpaid. And the thing is, Geno when compared to the other well paid QBs in the league is justified to ask for $30M+ a year. Dak, Cousins, Wentz, Goff, etc.

There is no world where Geno is going to sign a contract for $20M APY, + incentives. When the names above make $30M+ on much older contracts.

It's like last off-season when folks around here thought DK would sign for only $15-18M APY. It's just wishful thinking and not at all realistic.

These are the Seahawks options:

A) The Seahawks Franchise Tag him, and trade him.

B) Sign him to a multi-year $30M+ APY contract.

C) Let him play on the Franchise Tag. (Not likely.)

D) Let him walk for a measly comp. pick. (Not likely.)

-

It seems option A is what most would prefer. Pete however, has stated "They have found their guy." and really wants to keep him.

-

This rookie QB class isn't very good, and none are worthy of a top 5 selection, with 1 exception who comes with a huge asterisk.

If allowed to rank these guys honestly, they are late 1st rounders, which is better than last year's class which was a bunch of 3rd rounders.

QB hits are different from RB hits. QBs are defenseless in a throwing posture and can get absolutely jacked up. RBs can brace themselves, adjust, turn it into a glancing blow. Lower their shoulder, deal the blow to the opponent.

Watching Tua get rag-dolled repeatedly this year knowing Young is even smaller makes me think Young will not survive for long in the NFL. Young* is a top 5 guy. He just isn't going to hold up. So he comes with an asterisk.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It seems option A is what most would prefer. Pete however, has stated "They have found their guy." and really wants to keep him.

Pete also said he loves their QB system and thinks it's extremely QB friendly to work in and be productive.

As we all know, it's more about what Geno's worth on the open market, and less about what we or he and his agent think he's worth.

And honestly I don't see a lot of GM's knocking down Geno's door to break the bank or even pay him 30M+ for numerous years without some heavy incentives because he's only done it for one year in another team's system.

In the end, we're all guessing. Geno's case is unprecedented. But IMO if negotiations go south Schneider's going to slap the transitional tag on Geno, assures he and his agent will have no other team to talk to in order to drive up him price. Because no other team's going to give up two first rounders for Geno Smith.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Watching Tua get rag-dolled repeatedly this year knowing Young is even smaller makes me think Young will not survive for long in the NFL. Young* is a top 5 guy. He just isn't going to hold up. So he comes with an asterisk.
Tua had injury problems all through College as well. He's just made of glass. Young missed 1 game in College, and took 40 sacks in 2021 without issue.

Get DK to hook him up with whatever 'vitamins' he's on, bulk him up to 210lbs and he'll be good to go.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pete also said he loves their QB system and thinks it's extremely QB friendly to work in and be productive.

As we all know, it's more about what Geno's worth on the open market, and less about what we or he and his agent think he's worth.

And honestly I don't see a lot of GM's knocking down Geno's door to break the bank or even pay him 30M+ for numerous years without some heavy incentives because he's only done it for one year in another team's system.

In the end, we're all guessing. Geno's case is unprecedented. But IMO if negotiations go south Schneider's going to slap the transitional tag on Geno, assures he and his agent will have no other team to talk to in order to drive up him price. Because no other team's going to give up two first rounders for Geno Smith.
Good post. I think you have the transition tag and franchise tags confused. Per my understanding you don't receive any picks with a transition tag, just first right of refusal. Franchise tag nets you 2 first rounders.

seabowl

Reaction score
Good post. I think you have the transition tag and franchise tags confused. Per my understanding you don't receive any picks with a transition tag, just first right of refusal. Franchise tag nets you 2 first rounders.
By putting the franchise tag on a player, no other team can take that player. Hence, there are no draft picks given.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
By putting the franchise tag on a player, no other team can take that player. Hence, there are no draft picks given.

This is from the article that I posted the link to earlier -

"The compensation is different for the team applying the transition tag if they decide not to match an offer sheet.

If a player is given a non-exclusive franchise tag, the team signing him must send two first-round picks to the team that tagged the player. However, there is no compensation for the original team with the transition tag if they refuse to match the offer sheet."

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
I’m fine bringing Geno back for a couple of years as long as we’re grooming someone behind him. I’d love to see us use this draft to completely revamp the defense and then try to find a QB later that may have some potential. Hendon Hooker would be a nice stash. How high would he of been drafted had be not got injured and won the heisman and possibly a national championship?
Add me to that list of fans who would love to see the Hawks pick up Hooker in the draft. If no team drafts him, do the Seahawks then pick up Hooker off the street?

Lagartixa

Reaction score

A player to whom the transition tag has been applied can negotiate with other teams, but if he gets an offer, the team that applied the tag has a chance to match the offer, and if it does, the player has to take the offer from the team that tagged him (his current team). If the tagging team chooses not to match the other team's offer, the player is free to sign with the new team, and there is no compensation to the old team. Hutchinson was transition-tagged.

The two first-rounders you mentioned are the compensation the signing team has to pay the tagging team for a player who has been given the non-exclusive franchise tag.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

The exclusive franchise tag, sure.

But another team can take a player that has had the non-exclusive franchise tag applied to him, and to do so, that team has to give the player's original team two first-round draft picks.

Mick063

Reaction score
I sincerely believe that no quarterback, no matter how good he is, should exceed 20% of the team's salary structure. I believe highly paid quarterbacks create a revolving door of unaffordable teammates. Teammates that were well groomed to fit the system, know their role, and add to the aura of relationships, but have become too expensive to keep. Continuity can't find a foothold.

I don't want Seattle to draft the next Hall of Fame quarterback. His price tag will eventually strangle the team. I want them to draft three Hall of Fame defensive players instead. Let the quarterback on a rookie deal be the revolving door. Bring in a new Brock Purdy every five years and surround him with studs.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Bring in a new Brock Purdy every five years and surround him with studs.
They should use BOTH their 6th and 7th every 5 years to bring in a new Tom Brady and Brock Purdy in case one gets injured.

BASF

Reaction score
i wonder what the market is if we tag and trade him. high 2nd? 1st? future 1st?
I doubt we would get more than a third. He's good, but still older than ideal with very little history of performing well. Especially considering that we robbed the last team blind for a QB that excelled in our system (even if he didn't play it as designed).

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score

I think the fact that pete thinks the Hawks system is QB friendly was a key hint that the Hawks are not going to give Geno 30 mil a year. They Have Lock and they can draft a rookie. I would say Geno will test the market and sign for less...i really believe the Hawks are not going to gove him 30+ million a year.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I think the fact that pete thinks the Hawks system is QB friendly was a key hint that the Hawks are not going to give Geno 30 mil a year. They Have Lock and they can draft a rookie. I would say Geno will test the market and sign for less...i really believe the Hawks are not going to gove him 30+ million a year.
Lock is a free agent too...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
For a fair deal? sure. But 30 or more? Meh. So much for building up the defense when you have a huge chunk of $ in the QB position. We just got done dealing with that crap.
This team has a LOT of holes to fill. Yes, I know the cap is going up probably 20 mil, doesn't change the fact that they don't need to sink a shi* ton of money in to a guy who had one good season. 20-25 a year for a couple years seems very fair. Especially while they are grooming a young guy to take over in a few years. But, him and his agent probably think he's elite, so there is that.

seahawks08

Reaction score
24 to 26 million per year for 3 years with front loading and fully guaranteed 60 million over two years. If Geno tests the market, the league will not offer him anything better given the one year sample size. Only the Hawks and this system would be perfect for both parties in my opinion.