K.J. Wright: Geno should be starter

W

Welshers

Interesting take from a former longtime member of the team. He was around Geno a lot and says Geno is legitimately good and should be the starter over Lock or even Mayfield. I know K.J. isn't around to get a feel for Lock, but I still find this interesting.

“I’ll tell you not Baker Mayfield,” Wright told I Am Athlete Tonight on SiriusXM. “Not Drew Lock. We ain’t gonna play those games. I’m team Geno all day.”

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
yeah nah dawg, the only thing I trust Geno to do is guarantee us a top 5 draft pick next year. Geno's middle name is "ineffective".

rjdriver

Reaction score
This just tells me that Geno is a cool dude and a guy with whom you want to have beers. Nothing more. If Geno starts under center, I'll be his biggest fan, but this is KJ having his boy's back over two dudes he doesn't know.

toffee

Reaction score
KJ didn't know Baker or Lock personally or watched them in practice etc., But KJ knows more football than me for sure, and most of you dot net experts. KJ should have watched films on Baker and Lock so he was forming an educated opinion.

I for one, have no problem if the team decided on Geno after a fair QB competition. One thing for sure, Geno 2022 will be better than Geno 2021 and Geno 2021 kept games close. Hawks defense 2022 will be better than Hawks defense 2021, with better support from defense, Geno 2022 could win more games than we give him credits for.

QWERTY

Reaction score
The reason why KJ wants Geno is because everyone knows Geno can't get a starting job elsewhere, and this is his last shot of starting. Also I think it's because he's another AA has something to do with it.

keasley45

Reaction score
The reason why KJ wants Geno is because everyone knows Geno can't get a starting job elsewhere, and this is his last shot of starting. Also I think it's because he's another AA has something to do with it.

Wow. Dude.

So KJ is an NFL player. Geno was a teammate. He saw Geno lead. Saw him practice. Practiced against him often. Knows is aptitude and ability to understand an offense.

He also still knows current seahawks players and likely communicates with them.

And he might have looked at his 68% completion rate and 5 to 1 td to int rate as a seahawk and based his decision on that.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Wow. Dude.

So KJ is an NFL player. Geno was a teammate. He saw Geno lead. Saw him practice. Practiced against him often. Knows is aptitude and ability to understand an offense.

And he might have looked at his 68% completion rate and 5 to 1 td to int rate as a seahawk and based his decision on that.
Geno's career stats are who Geno is. Not a starter. An ineffective back up that will win you 30% of your games if you're lucky and the other parts of your team are performing.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
KJ didn't know Baker or Lock personally or watched them in practice etc., But KJ knows more football than me for sure, and most of you dot net experts. KJ should have watched films on Baker and Lock so he was forming an educated opinion.

I for one, have no problem if the team decided on Geno after a fair QB competition. One thing for sure, Geno 2022 will be better than Geno 2021 and Geno 2021 kept games close. Hawks defense 2022 will be better than Hawks defense 2021, with better support from defense, Geno 2022 could win more games than we give him credits for.
Many youtube film studies raise questions about Denver's receivers.
1. Lock apparently was blasted by media for drilling Derwin James in the chest(INT dropped, week 17), but Tim Jenkins showed Kendall Hinton(#9), matched on a LB, falling down as he cut toward Lock's anticipated throw.
2.Jenkins also showed Noah Fant (apparently misreading zone as man) continuing to run, as Cortland Sutton (correctly, I think) 'sat down' in a seam of the zone. Lock adjusted on the move, and completed to Fant anyway.
3. Jenkins showed multiple cases of 3rd down plays where Bronco receivers aimed two yards short of the sticks. Jenkins blamed Shurmur, but other coaches, or the receivers, could be blamed.
4. Week 18, the 1st quarter incompletion aimed at the sideline(1st down stick) as the receiver continued running 10 yards downfield.
5. Funniest play(forget which game): Jeudy's pattern is a shallow cross but, on the way, bumps into a linebacker, then runs the opposite direction, to the sideline.
In Week 17, I listened the the LA radio guys, didn't watch the game. Jeremiah said 'Lock played a solid game' and Matt Smith agreed with him.

toffee

Reaction score
Many youtube film studies raise questions about Denver's receivers.
1. Lock apparently was blasted by media for drilling Derwin James in the chest(INT dropped, week 17), but Tim Jenkins showed Kendall Hinton(#9), matched on a LB, falling down as he cut toward Lock's anticipated throw.
2.Jenkins also showed Noah Fant (apparently misreading zone as man) continuing to run, as Cortland Sutton (correctly, I think) 'sat down' in a seam of the zone. Lock adjusted on the move, and completed to Fant anyway.
3. Jenkins showed multiple cases of 3rd down plays where Bronco receivers aimed two yards short of the sticks. Jenkins blamed Shurmur, but other coaches, or the receivers, could be blamed.
4. Week 18, the 1st quarter incompletion aimed at the sideline(1st down stick) as the receiver continued running 10 yards downfield.
5. Funniest play(forget which game): Jeudy's pattern is a shallow cross but, on the way, bumps into a linebacker, then runs the opposite direction, to the sideline.
In Week 17, I listened the the LA radio guys, didn't watch the game. Jeremiah said 'Lock played a solid game' and Matt Smith agreed

Busted plays happened to all teams, Russ was good at last minute adjustments, heck that's his MO. But we can take comfort that Lock could be slightly better than his stats, but if Lock couldn't out compete Geno, that really ought to be the end of Lock.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Busted plays happened to all teams, Russ was good at last minute adjustments, heck that's his MO. But we can take comfort that Lock could be slightly better than his stats, but if Lock couldn't out compete Geno, that really ought to be the end of Lock.
Yes, if Lock is outplayed by Geno in practice and preseason, then Lock's future could be career backup...maybe a reasonable job if you don't mind all the air travel.

Whether Lock was 'blasted by the media', as Tim Jenkins claimed, I didn't hear the blasts, so don't know.
If true, it's not good, for those media.
(Also, Tim Jenkins didn't name 'Kendall Hinton'. I had to look up 'number 9' on the Broncos. I'd never heard of Kendall Hinton, but now remember he ws the starting QB, when the Bronco QBs all were locked up.)

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
The 'Geno is beating Lock in camp' talk is also a bit overblown. Geno is the incumbent. Camp is about the entire team, not just the Qb. Our OC is installing an offense, so the qb and rest of the squad need as many, sound, reliable reps as possible. Does it make sense for the guy who's familiar with the olaybook to help facilitate these early practices so that everyone benefits, or the new guy who is seeing the playbook for the first time?

And Geno also has a rapport with the guys on the team. Makes all the sense in the world for him to be the guy running the 1s until Lock is completely proficient.

toffee

Reaction score
The 'Geno is beating Lock in camp' talk is also a bit overblown. Geno is the incumbent. Camp is about the entire team, not just the Qb. Our OC is installing an offense, so the qb and rest of the squad need as many, sound, reliable reps as possible. Does it make sense for the guy who's familiar with the olaybook to help facilitate these early practices so that everyone benefits, or the new guy who is seeing the playbook for the first time?

And Geno also has a rapport with the guys on the team. Makes all the sense in the world for him to be the guy running the 1s until Lock is completely proficient.
For starting QB, We will have a very good idea come pre-season games.

We don't know what's the understanding between Jody and Pete. If Pete's in win now or show me enough or you are gone mode, he might be more desperate to get a Baker or someone like him. I don't think that's the case, Pete has couple years to show. I do think John might have gotten more power post Wilson, he might be picking the next HC when the time comes, and this draft was more John than Pete.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Wow. Dude.

Geno joined in 2020 and kj saw him play 1 year and also to note 2020 our D sucked balls. Glad KJ is not deciding because he wants lock to be cut.

Scout

Reaction score
I have said this before that Geno has the proper foot movement in the pocket, and understands how to move the ball around most of the field. Geno has the edge but Lock will make it competitive when training camp rolls around.

toffee

Reaction score
We knew Russ has unapparelled arm strength, Lock was known for his arm strength, now KJ said Geno has cannon for an arm. Got to wonder who has the strongest arm among these three?