Larry Fitzgerald Agrees to new 2 year deal with Cards

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yep. One of the RBs or DGB being at 31 and getting selected by the Hawks would be a very smart move, IMO (and I know I think it would be a smart move because as a 9ers fan it would make me pretty unhappy :lol: )

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sounds like he doesn't care about adding a SB victory to his resume

:stirthepot:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1zjh23io said:
Sgt. Largent":1zjh23io said:
11M a year in guaranteed money still seems like a lot for Fitzgerald, especially with Larry, Moe and Curly throwing to him.

This seems more like a "we just wanna show Larry we love him and don't want him to go to a competitor" move, rather than what would be best for a team needing serious cap relief.

Prudent cap move would be to cut him and save another 5-6M in cap in order to keep guys like Dockett and Cromartie.
It's already been mentioned Dockett may be willing to restructure. If that's so, Cromartie may be open to it also given how close they were to making a big run last year.

Maybe Dockett, but Cromartie ain't gonna take less money, he is going to get as much cash on the free agent market as he can........dude has 10 kids to feed.

drdiags

Reaction score
Seems like a move that both sides can feel good about. He may not be the 16M/yr player he once was or worth the 11M for two years he just signed for but as a fan of the NFL at large, glad to see that he stays with the Cardinals. The Cards were close last year, even if some fans don't want to give them credit for what they did. So it isn't like Larry is doomed to not win a championship.

Congrats to him, the Cards and their fans that wanted to see him finish his career with the Cards. I am sure there are some in their fanbase that are moaning over the money but they just have to suck it up.

byau

Reaction score
Congrats to Larry and the Cardinals.

Was actually thinking about this yesterday and can't say I'm surprised. Good move for everyone.

The type of person that Larry is that would make him really good on the Seahawks is also what would make him want to stay in AZ.

Not to mention when you mention SB contenders, AZ with their 2nd or 1st string QB is in the mix.

Happy for you AZ folks! Win-win for everyone

ringless

Reaction score
Had we cut him we still would have had to pay him 13 million this year and he would have gotten paid somewhere else.... He could have had pay from us and another team....

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":376lwwis said:
Had we cut him we still would have had to pay him 13 million this year and he would have gotten paid somewhere else.... He could have had pay from us and another team....

Dead money is not paid to the player; it solely counts against the team's salary cap. Therefore, if a restructure was not agreed upon, both parties would have been screwed. Arizona would have lost both Fitzgerald and $13 million from their cap, while Fitzgerald would have been starting from square one, competing for a new contract at age 31 against a relatively deep free agent WR pool.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":vimkztf7 said:
ringless":vimkztf7 said:

Dead money is not paid to the player; it solely counts against the team's salary cap. Therefore, if a restructure was not agreed upon, both parties would have been screwed. Arizona would have lost both Fitzgerald and $13 million from their cap, while Fitzgerald would have been starting from square one, competing for a new contract at age 31 against a relatively deep free agent WR pool.

Or more accurately, dead money has ALREADY been paid to the player.

That's how it becomes dead money.

For Example....player signs 3 year contract worth 21 mil with 6 mil signing bonus. So 5 mil salary per year.

He sucks in year 1 so they cut him before year 2.

Bonus prorates over three years so you save 10 mil in salary but have 4 mil in "Dead Money" because its money you've already given him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2fupl2um said:
hawknation2015":2fupl2um said:
ringless":2fupl2um said:

Wrong again, Marv, dead money is not just signing bonus.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":8rapuhqr said:
Marvin49":8rapuhqr said:
hawknation2015":8rapuhqr said:
ringless":8rapuhqr said:

Wrong again, Marv, dead money is not just signing bonus.

Please explain to me a circumstance in which you have dead money against the cap for which you have not already paid the player.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm glad he stays with Cards and Ringless gets good news about his team..I do not agree that if Palmer had played out the season they would have won the division.Palmer self destructs too often over the years for me to believe anything has changed .Have a good offseason Ringless..

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2t0penig said:
Please explain to me a circumstance in which you have dead money against the cap for which you have not already paid the player.

It also includes any guaranteed money that has yet been amortized.

For example, if J.J. Watt were released, Houston would be hit with nearly $28 million in dead money. Watt has been paid less than $11 million from his recently signed contract (including his $10 million signing bonus). The difference is future guaranteed money, not money that has "already been paid the player."

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":154q302x said:
Marvin49":154q302x said:

For example, if J.J. Watt were released, Houston would be hit with nearly $28 million in dead money. Watt has been paid less than $11 million from his recently signed contract (including his $10 million signing bonus). The difference is future guaranteed money, not money that has "already been paid the player."

...but HE'D GET THE GUARANTEED MONEY.

We may be arguing semantics. Point being, the player will always get the "dead money"...either before or after they are released. Whether it be by bonus or guaranteed contract, dead money is real money...only diff is WHEN it's paid.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":3kkhcdze said:
hawknation2015":3kkhcdze said:
Marvin49":3kkhcdze said:

We may be arguing semantics. Point being, the player will always get the "dead money"...either before or after they are released. Whether it be by bonus or guaranteed contract, dead money is real money...only diff is WHEN it's paid.

Thank you for admitting you phrased your explanation INCORRECTLY . . . at least in your way.

"Or more accurately, dead money has ALREADY been paid to the player."
Wrong.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":32rj1blm said:
Marvin49":32rj1blm said:
hawknation2015":32rj1blm said:
Marvin49":32rj1blm said:

Thank you for admitting you phrased your explanation INCORRECTLY . . . at least in your way.

"Or more accurately, dead money has ALREADY been paid to the player."
Wrong.

LOL.

Don't ever change.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ringless":2euco13w said:
Wow, what a team player! Saves the team 13 million this year alone! RUMOR is, and I happen to believe this but Dockett is also interested in lowering his cap number for us to bring in other players as well.
Fitz being a team player has NEVER been in question. He has been my favorite non-hawk for a long time.
The guy is a class act and I'm bummed the Hawks didn't have a chance at him this offseason. Good for your Cards and good for Fitz.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We need Arizona (and St. Louis) to help keep the Whiners in the basement of the division.

fe9dFiR.gif

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Popeyejones":uw8rr95l said:
The Hawks will still be the Hawks next year (although they're not likely to be better than they were last year or this year)

Whoa, whoa, whoa there. "Greater is coming" https://vimeo.com/119362723 We've been promised. ;)

Seriously, the off season is barely underway. Let's see what transpires and what their play on the field says about this. Ya gotta remember this is a very young team. The core group is gaining all sorts of experience (tasted the pinnacle as well as the extremely tough playoff and championship losses.) These guys know how to retool. Honestly, I don't think we've seen anything yet. The best is yet to come.

djb28

Reaction score
Oh I was hoping! Oh well. He is a big deal in Arizona. He does a TON of Charity and works with his First Down Fund. He oozes class! But we still gonna have to beat that butt down 2 xs a year!

Latest posts