Leach goes off on reporter after loss to Huskies

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":380neqyb said:
But @sports hernia, that's what the gadflys want. They WANT someone to lose their cool and thus look stupid on national TV. And part of why coaches are paid is to NOT look like it's getting to them on TV.

SF Giants hired a GM out of Philly. There were allegations that he tried to sweep a 17-yo's assault allegations under the rug. This wasn't sexual--the girl got extremely drunk, barfed and another girl took a selfie. The Giants severely investigated those and concluded that this coach did the best he could with the tools he then had but there has to be more of a culture in MLB to not dismiss victims.

Well the first reporter who got to ask questions had been seeding the SF Chronicle for months saying this guy was basically condoning Osuna when there was no evidence here that he'd done anything like that. She lit into him and as the senior reporter got to do it repeatedly. I happen to know her personally, and she's classically one of those who hides behind popular causes to be a nasty piece of work. She throughly deserved to be told to FO, but if she'd been told that, this guy's job would have been jeopardized before he even started working.

It's to your team and organizational interest to stay cool and stay to the script if you're paid to speak to the media, regardless of what they say to try to incite you.

No when you have questions that are like " Do you think you could have caught the ball if it would have been placed better to a NFL WR or do you wish you could have that pass back to a QB that through a Interception or would you have ran a different play if one was stuffed or failed badly. Yeah I would be kinda perturbed also.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2qo849sf said:
Leach went too far, no doubt, but as someone that pretty much cannot stand sports reporters/columnists/sports radio hosts and their stupid questions I was kind of happy to see him go off on the guy, as wrong as it may have been.

Certainly no isdue calling out sports reporters...

Just thought it was the wrong question to go off on
Thought Harbaugh handled his question better, as the guy was baiting him

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1zm8wbxq said:
But @sports hernia, that's what the gadflys want. They WANT someone to lose their cool and thus look stupid on national TV. And part of why coaches are paid is to NOT look like it's getting to them on TV.

SF Giants hired a GM out of Philly. There were allegations that he tried to sweep a 17-yo's assault allegations under the rug. This wasn't sexual--the girl got extremely drunk, barfed and another girl took a selfie. The Giants severely investigated those and concluded that this coach did the best he could with the tools he then had but there has to be more of a culture in MLB to not dismiss victims.

Well the first reporter who got to ask questions had been seeding the SF Chronicle for months saying this guy was basically condoning Osuna when there was no evidence here that he'd done anything like that. She lit into him and as the senior reporter got to do it repeatedly. I happen to know her personally, and she's classically one of those who hides behind popular causes to be a nasty piece of work. She throughly deserved to be told to FO, but if she'd been told that, this guy's job would have been jeopardized before he even started working.

It's to your team and organizational interest to stay cool and stay to the script if you're paid to speak to the media, regardless of what they say to try to incite you.
I respectfully disagree. Like I said ML could have handled it better, but IMHO stupid questions, deserve stupid answers.
Of course he could have used the “NEXT QUESTION” response.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ozz35ah said:
getnasty":1ozz35ah said:
Uncle Si":1ozz35ah said:
My issue is he has a chance to acknowledge his programs underdog status and confirm the narrative offered by the reporter. Instead he comes off like a brat.

Just feel like he gets,more press than he deserves.

Just my opinion. Wonder what cougar fans think

As a Coug fan you have to like him. Recruiting even 3 star kids to Pullman has to be a tough task so any national press he gets for his goofy interviews can only help.

Obviously he comes off bitter in this one but that comes with hiring a guy like Leach. You take the good with the bad.

Fair enough..

And Harbaugh just reacted somewhat similarl y in his,press conference.
Yeah the reporter was obviously baiting him making overt references to "coaching" and "preparation". Harbs even handled that better than Leach who was simply asked why he's lost 7 in a row, a very fair question at this point imo.

Leach's act is wearing a bit thin with me but considering his ability to win in the absolute backwater of college football I'll roll with it. He may leave soon anyway (just a guess).

TreeRon

Reaction score
Blanchette has made a career of picking at scabs. That's what he does. He loves to kick people when they're down. If you're a foe of the team he's kicking you love it. If it's your team he's kicking you hate it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":274l834b said:
SantaClaraHawk":274l834b said:

I respectfully disagree. Like I said ML could have handled it better, but IMHO stupid questions, deserve stupid answers.
Of course he could have used the “NEXT QUESTION” response.

Wasn't a stupid question.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1xbghmys said:
DomeHawk":1xbghmys said:
Uncle Si":1xbghmys said:
DomeHawk":1xbghmys said:
Like I said, in the heat of the moment. He had just lost his 7th Apple Cup in a row. Anyone who has ever played the game knows how emotional a game it is. If this had happened just 30 minutes later it probably would have been completely different.

And, I said that I will give him a pass, not that he gets a pass. I am sure the media is going to roast him on this one.

Personally just think his shtick is getting old.

I also played D1. I played in a game to go to a national tournament. It's fine to be emotional. Dozens of coaches across the nation are coaching in the biggest games of their career today.

The coach needs to reflect composure , however, and represent his team better than what Leach jyst said.

You played soccer, it's not the same, you aren't getting your body bashed and slammed all game long and trying to keep your cool at the same time. The coaches respond to it too. In fact, I have seen many-many coaches, both in college and the pros, go off just like he did.

Have someone come up to you and slap you in the face as hard as they can and then talk to me about composure.

But, I agree they should keep their composure, they just fail sometimes because they are only human.

A... it's very much the same across any contact sport
Don't be silly. (2 concussions. 2 torn mcls, broken nose 5 times, three broken ribs, dozen stitches over one eye, ligament damage to both ankles, dislocated shoulder over 3 years of college soccer). The contact is different. The emotion of playing in a physical contest is very much the same.

B. We are talking about the coach. Leach didn't get touched yesterday.

Sure, lots of coaches lose their cool, and look foolish doing it. Especially in such a benign setting as a press conference.

Leach isn't a hero. Just a guy who can't figure out how to win his biggest game.
I agree with Si on this..I played soccer for 7 years and also basketball,baseball and football.
Soccer made those other sports easy for me..Toughness,vision and very strong legs that cut on a dime.
(used to)lol

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TreeRon":39ts3fnq said:
Blanchette has made a career of picking at scabs. That's what he does. He loves to kick people when they're down. If you're a foe of the team he's kicking you love it. If it's your team he's kicking you hate it.
I never felt that way about Blanchette but I've only lived in Spokane for 2 of the last 43 years ('88 and '89) though as mentioned have read him off and on over the years while in town to visit family. None the less I'll ask you, do you feel the question was unreasonable?

TreeRon

Reaction score
"do you feel the question was unreasonable?"
No, but Blanchette got the response he should have expected esp from Leach. On the other hand Leach probably should have known whatever Blanchette was going to ask would unsettling. I guess the right answer would have been "I don't know, if I did we would not be losing!"

Caveat : I've had a moment to ponder the question, Leach didn't.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1blce27l said:
Personally just think his shtick is getting old.

I also played D1. I played in a game to go to a national tournament. It's fine to be emotional. Dozens of coaches across the nation are coaching in the biggest games of their career today.

The coach needs to reflect composure , however, and represent his team better than what Leach jyst said.

Totally everything Uncle Si said. This is coming from a Coug Fan, and a Mike Leach Fan. Leach is not a rookie at this, and he needs to model better composure for his players.

Leach could even answer this in a Mike Leach entertaining way while still being very Mike Leach.
Not only that, it's a missed opportunity, and probably a net negative in the area of recruiting, the area where Leach needs the most help, and the area where the Leach Cougars actually lose the Apple Cup. WSU doesn't actually lose the game on the field, they lose it during recruiting, and the result of losing there plays out on the field.

The question was a fair one given the circumstances. Whether it was a stupid question or not, Leach acted stupid in how he handled it, in that he damaged his own goals. What defensive player's parents want to send their kid to play for a coach who sounds so impulsively immature and low-character?

UPDATE: I needed to actually listen to the clip before responding. It wasn't THAT bad, and clearly represented some history with that writer. That said, Leach didn't need to get quite that snippy to the reporter, even if he deserved it.