Lets be real here

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wow the bandwagon empties fast around here.

It's a good thing the playoffs are in January not in September. Then maybe even Tony Romo would have a SB ring.

Let's see what ATL, GB, DAL, and CAR are like in December before we heap doom and gloom on the season. Today we couldn't beat any of them. By the end of the year, who knows.

Bad starts, strong finishes have been our MO since Pete Carroll arrived. I'm not sure why people haven't realized it. I'm also not sure when just making the playoffs wasn't good enough anymore. This was a bottom feeder franchise for years with a decade long streak of futility in the 90's. We are now a top tier franchise with a great owner and FO. We should be enjoying these years because they won't last forever. Winning the SB is tough and making it the only way to determine success for a season is how you end up distraught and depressed year after year. Enjoy the wins, enjoy watching Russell run around making clutch plays, enjoy stifling defense. We won't have them forever as all things in this league are cyclical.

This degree of grumpiness is ludicrous after a win.

mrt144

Reaction score
Mad Dog":20zxrefq said:

It's a good thing the playoffs are in January not in September. Then maybe even Tony Romo would have a SB ring.

Let's see what ATL, GB, DAL, and CAR are like in December before we heap doom and gloom on the season. Today we couldn't beat any of them. By the end of the year, who knows.

Bad starts, strong finishes have been our MO since Pete Carroll arrived. I'm not sure why people haven't realized it. I'm also not sure when just making the playoffs wasn't good enough anymore. This was a bottom feeder franchise for years with a decade long streak of futility in the 90's. We are now a top tier franchise with a great owner and FO. We should be enjoying these years because they won't last forever. Winning the SB is tough and making it the only way to determine success for a season is how you end up distraught and depressed year after year. Enjoy the wins, enjoy watching Russell run around making clutch plays, enjoy stifling defense. We won't have them forever as all things in this league are cyclical.

We do realize it. It's something a better coach would possibly grow over in their extensive 8 year tenure. A tenure where the defensive talent and QB have all been retained for a pretty penny. It's something that leaves the team incredibly brittle if one of our integral playmakers gets injured.

Was it foolish to have expected PC and crew to make the similar leaps they expect of their raw linemen? Sure. But the team is stagnant and doesn't seem willing to grow beyond what they know and what they care to do. And that makes for these woeful dysfunctional games.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":356w3z5r said:
WilsonMVP":356w3z5r said:
What other team in the NFC is a "contender" over us

We almost lost to the Niners,,,,,at HOME. How many teams in the NFC are worse than the Niners?

I know it was the 49ers but outside of like 2 long runs we absolutely owned and shut them down along with the weather kind of being not ideal. In division games you have to throw everything out. IDK how many times ive seen the Bears or Lions go toe to toe with the Packers year in and year out but get blown out by out of division teams constantly

With the Best defense in the NFL (maybe some disagree) come playoff time you can win any game no matter how shit your offense is. Special Teams and D can almost singlehandedly win you the game. See the Bears with Rex Grossman when they went to the superbowl as one example or the Ravens or Bucs

At the bare minimum the defense can keep you in the game by 7-10 points and Wilson is probably THE GUY when it comes to closing and tieing/winning a game in the 4th quarter. In both superbowl years we had to come back in the 4th quarter in the NFCCG with literally no offense before that. We had 7 points going into the 4th quarter against GB with multiple INTS and ended up with 28 points. We had 13 points going into the 4th quarter against the 49ers and ended up with 23. Against Atlanta we were down 20 and had 7 points going into the 4th quarter and ended up with 28.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":29feve3z said:

Excellent post. You echo my thoughts completely.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO-The OL problems are a direct result of.....
--The player unions contract negotiations adopted included severe limitations on # of practices, greatly reducing OL effectiveness due to lack of much significant hitting in pads time in the preseason. The preseason games aren't enough to drive any OL consistency and is mostly used for new player evaluations. When you have a subpar OL to begin with, that exasperates the problem. Continuity goes a long ways toward helping with average or above average OL play. The other problem with the OL is the injury bug, which now hopefully doesn't come up as big of a factor as in the past.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Josea16":2icq0czv said:
TwistedHusky":2icq0czv said:
We have an elite defense but a near incompetent offense.

And I love Carson too, because he can give you 2 when it is 3rd & 1, and this team sorely needed that for YEARS...but he isn't the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders or even Dave Meggett. He is a very good RB, he isn't however a transcendent rookie like a Kareem Hunt. He is good, but he isn't going to stop the bleeding and he isn't going to carry this offense.

We have succeeded in making 2 very average defenses look very good. That is a sign we suck, not a sign that the defenses are suddenly getting good for a week.

Yes, I know the refrain "It's Only Week 2" then it will be "Only Week 3", "Only Week 4", etc...the problems are evident and systemic.

Our OC is below average and now our QB is not bailing him out like he used to.

We cannot score TDs, so we have to rely on a defense that is going to get more & more tired as we use them more and more to save the game.

This is not a good team. This is a team producing like the 2-14 teams I used to watch. It isn't that bad. We are likely 7 wins or 9, maybe. But only because of our candy-cake schedule.

And if we beat the Wildcard team in whatever playoff game we might stumble into, we are going to get shelled in the very next game. Like we did last year and the year before. (Then Soohawk will come in saying we win 70% of our games and nothing is wrong because just making the playoffs is an amazing accomplishment....yay.).

The window shut because we gambled that Wilson was a young Steve Young and as the defense got older, the offense would make up for it. But that didn't happen AT ALL. So this year they figured it out and went all in on defense again, because this offense cannot carry a team, it relies on the defense to do that. (If we had not signed Richardson we would have been screwed...can you image this team with THIS offense but last year's defense? Yikes.)
Kansas City isn't as good as they seem because the injuries are stacking up unlike in the Seahawks case. Just a hint from a guy living on the Northside of the river. 8)

Kansas City is good, seriously good but aren't New England playoff good without Eric Berry. That's a safety that can and does cover Gronkowski. The Seahawks don't have that.

Good think Gronk is a walking injury then :lol:

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2g56k4ub said:

00.jpg

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Vpk0718":p67ydvbt said:
6 dropped passes get caught and we win by at least two touchdowns

Relax

What about the( at least) 2 dropped interceptions by the 49ers?

razor150

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mdtcrlcu said:
razor150":mdtcrlcu said:
We haven't sniffed the Superbowl since losing to the Pats.

Two divisional rounds isn't "sniffing" the SB? That's one game away from the SB.

I have news for you, this league ain't easy. I know the Pats make it look easy, but even they went 10 years between their first SB wins and these last two. So maybe some fans need to lower their expectations, cause mowing through an NFL schedule and being in the SB every year?

No team does that. Ever.

If we stay healthy, the offense figures it out and have a little luck along the way? I like our chances as much as anybody. That's all I can ask as a fan.

So in another words just making the play offs and then getting smoked by much better teams is still "Sniffing the Superbowl"? Even though we are obviously not even real contenders. I guess we were "sniffing the Superbowl" Pete's first year when we went 7-9 and miraculously beat the Saints too, right? Sniffing the Superbowl should come with us actually being competitive, if we weren't then we weren't close to the Superbowl at all.

Also, I don't expect us to be like the Pats, and is a stupid of you to think that, and a massive strawman on your part to even try to claim that is what I expect. That said I also am not going to sit around in lala land and make believe that things are better than they are, like many here seem to do. The fact is we haven't been Superbowl contenders since we lost to the Pats. Getting smoked and not even being competitive in the divisional round year after year makes it clear we aren't contenders, and that has been all due to the decisions made on the o-line. Our Superbowl window is closed until this is fixed, and I expect this team to actually fix that,. I don't consider drafting d-lineman or project o-lineman (like Ifedi), or signing busts like Joeckel, or signing basketball players to be LTs as serious attempts at fixing the problem.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3emrvvbx said:
razor150":3emrvvbx said:
We haven't sniffed the Superbowl since losing to the Pats.

Two divisional rounds isn't "sniffing" the SB? That's one game away from the SB.

I have news for you, this league ain't easy. I know the Pats make it look easy, but even they went 10 years between their first SB wins and these last two. So maybe some fans need to lower their expectations, cause mowing through an NFL schedule and being in the SB every year?

No team does that. Ever.

If we stay healthy, the offense figures it out and have a little luck along the way? I like our chances as much as anybody. That's all I can ask as a fan.

Difference is the pats make the changes necessary. Identify the likely causes and make the change. We have shown we don't do that as we continue to field the same issues every year.

"If we stay healthy"- to use your words-"no team does that, ever" We are going to have health issues, for sure. We have a physical mentality, and with that comes injuries. On top of that, for some reason injury prone players like prosise and rawls are still half of our "run first" strategy, and they have decided running behind a line that cannot protect passing or running is satisfactory by their decisions and actions.

"If the offense figures it out"-we have had over 40 games and hundreds of practices and team meetings over the last two years to "figure it out", but the coaches have decided to not change anything. To figure something out, you have to have the fortitude to make the necessary changes and hard decisions to do so. Instead, the coaching sect has decided that we won a superbowl with this basic idealogy (poor, broken plays that turns into backyard ball), so we will just keep on doing it regardless of the outcomes.

The patriots didn't win multiple championships as of late by doing the same thing, but rather altered their strategy based on limiting factors (cap, personnel), on a changing league (coaches, players to fit a different scheme) etc.

We can't keep expecting Russ to bail out a flawed and lacking gameplan by running around while our receivers play bhigh school ball to make something happen. They have been forced to do this for years because the plays drawn up aren't adequate, and the OL produced by cable is woefully inefficient (design, production and scouting/depth)

I would hope we could win the division again as our talent is vastly superior to the rest of our division and can overcome the poor coaching. But again, as soon as we play a good team, we are done.

Our goal should be to be the best, no just good enough to win against 3 garbage teams just to get hammered and embarrased in the playoffs (yes, carolina and the falcons exposed us pretty good).

If we want to be the best, changes need to be made. If you and siouxhawk are good with a participation trophy, that is your prerogative, but it makes me sick watching all the talent get wasted right now. You can't just wish for improvement.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
If you have a chip, chair and a chance in the playoffs, you are a contender. It's a new season and everyone is 0-0.

Hawks have made the playoffs the past 5 years and I fully expect it to happen again this season. I understand some of you have the entitled opinion that we should be in the Super Bowl every year, but I don't look at that as logical reasoning.

We have the synchronicity on our staff to direct us to again being one of the top teams in the league and as a fan, I feel you can't ask for anything more.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razor150":ywdd1ces said:
. The fact is we haven't been Superbowl contenders since we lost to the Pats.

The Pat's SB loss was literally three years ago, you're talking like it was 20 years ago.

I'm not in "la la land".........I'm a reasonable fan with reasonable expectations. If you thought this team was going to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders on their way to a 15-1 season with this terrible O-line? That's your bad.

Everyone else knew we'd struggle on offense until we figured it out.

So sorry, any fan who thought this would go any other way than it has so far wasn't paying attention. I still think we're a SB contender.

- bad division
- great defense
- found our RB
- Healthy Russell

That's a recipe for another division title and hopefully a shot at HFA. What else do you want?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":186gu1al said:
If you have a chip, chair and a chance in the playoffs, you are a contender. It's a new season and everyone is 0-0.

Hawks have made the playoffs the past 5 years and I fully expect it to happen again this season. I understand some of you have the entitled opinion that we should be in the Super Bowl every year, but I don't look at that as logical reasoning.

We have the synchronicity on our staff to direct us to again being one of the top teams in the league and as a fan, I feel you can't ask for anything more.

Maybe your right Siouxhawk, Just accepting the fact Pete is OK with the line and the offensive production and that making the playoffs is good enough would lower my stress level and frustration. Just relax and at least get a couple extra games out of the season. We got our 1 lombardi, and that's good enough for me.

Ahhh, big weight off my chest now that we took superbowls off the table. Just have some snacks and a beer or two on gameday, maybe mow the lawn in the first half (or 3 quarters) since we know we won't miss much. Heck, don't even really have to start watching them at all until game 7 as we accept the fact that we start slow and thus lower our chances of playoffs at all, that way if we make them it's great! It would be kinda like the old days, just happy we beat the three other teams in our division. Conference schmomference, league schmegue right!

Who's with us!

Go Hawks!

razor150

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fzpao0k5 said:
razor150":fzpao0k5 said:
. The fact is we haven't been Superbowl contenders since we lost to the Pats.

The Pat's SB loss was literally three years ago, you're talking like it was 20 years ago.

I'm not in "la la land".........I'm a reasonable fan with reasonable expectations. If you thought this team was going to come out of the gate firing on all cylinders on their way to a 15-1 season with this terrible O-line? That's your bad.

Everyone else knew we'd struggle on offense until we figured it out.

So sorry, any fan who thought this would go any other way than it has so far wasn't paying attention. I still think we're a SB contender.

- bad division
- great defense
- found our RB
- Healthy Russell

That's a recipe for another division title and hopefully a shot at HFA. What else do you want?

Is the only way you can argue your point is to strawman the other person's opinion? Argue my point, not some made up "15-1" bs. What I expect is a competitive offense, not the one we've trotted out the last two years that disappears against a defense that knows how to stunt, or has 1 guy who can rush the passer.

This offensive line never "found it's way" last year or the year before, and the only thing we've done since last year is shuffle the line again, and add a bust in Joeckel. If you actually think this o-line is going to "find it's way" and that Wilson isn't going to be running for his life the entire season, like he has pretty much done his entire career, then you are is lala land. Nobody on this line is a upgrade over the players we've lost since our two Superbowl runs. Okung? Not even close. Carpenter? Don't make me laugh. Sweezy? We couldn't even upgrade over him. Giacomini? lol. The only player we can claim we found a replacement for is Unger in Britt, who is a player we drafted to be a replacement for Giacomini and busted at every other position. Seriously our best line still sucked, and we've downgraded since then, and you want to lecture me about unrealistic expectations?

Nobody is arguing that we won't win the division, or haven't you noticed that? At this point the expectation of HFA advantage is a joke. This offense is going to get tore up by every team with a decent d-line. Hell, we almost lost to the 49ers in our own house, lost to the Packers, and they aren't exactly defensive powers houses.

This teams only chance at anything is on defense, and they aren't going to make up for the scoring this offense doesn't make. We've scored 1 TD, one less then our opponents have, and scored 21 total points. That is pathetic, at this point I am just hoping a team like the Rams doesn't shut us out. This is my expectation for the putrid offense Carroll has assembled, it is to at least score 3 points in every game so we don't get embarrassed by getting shut out.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1ex638bz said:
Siouxhawk":1ex638bz said:

Maybe your right Siouxhawk, Just accepting the fact Pete is OK with the line and the offensive production and that making the playoffs is good enough would lower my stress level and frustration. Just relax and at least get a couple extra games out of the season. We got our 1 lombardi, and that's good enough for me.

Ahhh, big weight off my chest now that we took superbowls off the table. Just have some snacks and a beer or two on gameday, maybe mow the lawn in the first half (or 3 quarters) since we know we won't miss much. Heck, don't even really have to start watching them at all until game 7 as we accept the fact that we start slow and thus lower our chances of playoffs at all, that way if we make them it's great! It would be kinda like the old days, just happy we beat the three other teams in our division. Conference schmomference, league schmegue right!

Who's with us!

Go Hawks!
Not advising you on how to run your life, but instead of focusing 4 months down the road on the playoffs, enjoy the journey that is the regular season. We wait 6 months for football to roll around and then project ahead to the postseason in which the landscape could change dramatically.

Just from the opener to yesterday's win, the offensive line showed some life in the run game, we moved the chains well and dominated time of possession, we had scoring chances in the red zone that were dropped and we had another great defensive outing save for a couple of big runs by Hyde.

I enjoyed the hell out of that win.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1r3l9fa8 said:
.....I enjoyed the hell out of that win.

Not everyone enjoys watching men mishandling dripping wet balls.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razor150":2l12cxad said:
This teams only chance at anything is on defense, and they aren't going to make up for the scoring this offense doesn't make. We've scored 1 TD, one less then our opponents have, and scored 21 total points. That is pathetic, at this point I am just hoping a team like the Rams doesn't shut us out. This is my expectation for the putrid offense Carroll has assembled, it is to at least score 3 points in every game so we don't get embarrassed by getting shut out.

Fair enough, there are many others that agree with you.

I have a more optimistic outlook for this offense. I think it's a lot like the 2014 offense where we struggled for half a year before putting it all together and playing MUCH better in the 2nd half.

This division should allow us to have the patience to wait this offense out, while the NFC South, NFC East and NFC North beat the crap out of each other.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":210oh68i said:
razor150":210oh68i said:

Fair enough, there are many others that agree with you.

I have a more optimistic outlook for this offense. I think it's a lot like the 2014 offense where we struggled for half a year before putting it all together and playing MUCH better in the 2nd half.

This division should allow us to have the patience to wait this offense out, while the NFC South, NFC East and NFC North beat the crap out of each other.

I'm with you Sarge. Feels like more than a few people are ready to throw in the towel. They should just stop watching since there so certain we will suck all year. Somewhere in between Sioux and Seymour there must be some middle ground where we can acknowledge the issues, see some progress have some hope and enjoy the season