Let's give Ifedi some love, Brown too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pretty amazing when a guy can get reps at one position and learn a technique and have it tuned to a level that works well, also pretty cool we have 5 guys that have pretty much played together at the same positions the last 4 games.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Solari gets all the credit imo. He's completely changed Ifedi's pass blocking technique... for the better of course.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The constant shuffling is also Cable's fault.

I'm not surprised that Ifedi looks a lot better with Cable gone. I am surprised at how quickly he has gotten so much better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good point. O Lineman need to stay in one spot and get that consistency. Not only personally, but the chemistry of the guys next to you.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
I am soooooo happy! Been calling for Cables firing since the '13-'14 season.
I shall now refer to him as the "C" word.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ifedi and Solari deserve a ton of credit. I was ready to give up on Ifedi before this year but I'll be the first to admit he is much, much better. I knew Cable was bad and have heard multiple ex NFL personnel over the past couple of years question his methods but he was every bit as bad as the fans thought he was. On a side note its crazy to me no one else in the building could see it or did anything about it. Is the NFL so compartmentalized that someone like Pete wouldn't know how bad it truly was? I find that hard to believe but I don't have any other answer. Why allow that to take place for literally years? I haven't heard a good answer. This isn't a knock on Pete who I love but its really hard to see what was going on.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":npmjuetb said:
Ifedi and Solari deserve a ton of credit. I was ready to give up on Ifedi before this year but I'll be the first to admit he is much, much better. I knew Cable was bad and have heard multiple ex NFL personnel over the past couple of years question his methods but he was every bit as bad as the fans thought he was. On a side note its crazy to me no one else in the building could see it or did anything about it. Is the NFL so compartmentalized that someone like Pete wouldn't know how bad it truly was? I find that hard to believe but I don't have any other answer. Why allow that to take place for literally years? I haven't heard a good answer. This isn't a knock on Pete who I love but its really hard to see what was going on.
After the NFL started penalizing Cables crap blocking scheme, I think that Pete wanted give TC a little more time to see if he could reconstruct the Offense, and get the Run Push back up.....Cable was in over his head, & last year's Run Game debacle was his last chance.
The Raiders took him in FOR THE SECOND TIME, they damned well should have known better, eh?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Leee-roy":12k2te68 said:
I am soooooo happy! Been calling for Cables firing since the '13-'14 season.
I shall now refer to him as the "C" word.

Ha! I will continue to call him "rhymes-with-unable". :mrgreen: :irishdrinkers:

Seymour

Reaction score
austinslater25":1gmcgijb said:

+1 on everything...except, it definitely IS a knock on Pete to let that continue so long IMO.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Isn't it just as likely that Ifedi's improvement is merely related to a RG he can trust? If you only have to worry about the outside move, it's a lot easier on the tackle to pass block. Then you are less nervous and less likely to false start. And you are less worried about getting beat inside so you hold less.

I think tackles get a lot of blame in pass blocking because they are on the edge and everyone can see them. But pass blocking like run blocking is a responsibility of the whole line.

Solari's coaching is likely an important piece to this puszzle, but I think Fluker and Sweezy have solidified the guard position and made the tackles also look better in the process.

sutz

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3s5zyn8d said:
Isn't it just as likely that Ifedi's improvement is merely related to a RG he can trust? If you only have to worry about the outside move, it's a lot easier on the tackle to pass block. Then you are less nervous and less likely to false start. And you are less worried about getting beat inside so you hold less.

I think tackles get a lot of blame in pass blocking because they are on the edge and everyone can see them. But pass blocking like run blocking is a responsibility of the whole line.

Solari's coaching is likely an important piece to this puszzle, but I think Fluker and Sweezy have solidified the guard position and made the tackles also look better in the process.
More than any other unit on the team, the O-line needs to work together with trust and the experience of working together multiple games, and multiple seasons, is a key part of that. Any weak point on the line affects the play of the others.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":3e3qbch5 said:
No need for me to acknowledge him.
I figured it would take a few years for him to develop.
He is playing as I expected in year 3.

Smug much? Usually development doesn't all of a sudden happen from year 2 to 3.. usually there is some sort of gradual improvement and not going from a bottom tier OL to statically one of the better ones in the span of months. Pretty hard to predict this based on years 1 and 2.

djb28

Reaction score
They will get really good then leave the team and we can relish n the fact that we had them when they were nothing.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Still not sold on Ifedi. We have been very careful to scheme around him after it was clear he was getting beat consistently. It'll be interesting to see how things play out over the course of the season. He is showing some progress so I'm not going to completely dump on him. I do think its best to have a cautious optimism when it comes to Ifedi. We're not out of the woods yet, though he is showing some encouraging signs.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Man, the amount of people refusing to give Ifedi credit is insane. Solaris is awesome, and having good players around him helps a lot, but come on. He is playing great right now.

I don't know if people won't give him credit because they still want to pat themselves on the back about being right that Cable was a joke,or they just dont want to see him succeed, as they would have to be wrong about him. Ridiculous either way.

Truth is, a lot of people deserve credit for this lines turn around, including the players themselves.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I've been frustrated with Ifedi for a long time. But.........you're not hearing his name much at all lately, and that's always a good thing with a lineman. Not saying I'm buying that he's all the sudden a great player, but he's improving, and I'll take it.