Some decent size starters on OL, entering TC.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
The Seahawks have some decent size on the OL entering training camp this year. I haven't researched OL sizes much lately, but I'd guess that the Seahawks starting OL is in or near the top 10 or so in the league this year.

Starter average size: 6-5.2 -- 323.4; Even the likely backups have some good size as well.

This is a good sized OL that should be excellent at run blocking and hopefully can get to --at least-- league average in pass protection (which will probably be slow to start but improves every game and by seasons end becomes average?) With the new coaching, that seems probable to me. The MAJOR area of OL concern to me is Ifedi and his penalties and poor performances, perhaps those get fixed by the new coaches? An additional MINOR concern is B/U center with Pocic being the likely starter at OLG as well as the primary center backup to Britt, an emergency OC like Hunt would be a luxury and would cost a roster spot, perhaps another OL player steps up or is seriously trained as a B/U or emergency center? I'm not sure if any others have any center snaps in their backgrounds but if they do, that will help their chances of making the final roster IMO.

Likely projected starters: Brown, Pocic, Britt, Fluker & Ifedi (with Ifedi on a very, short leash, perform or sit.)
Likely projected backups: Fant, Odhiamo, Phillips, Battle (or Beavers) & Roos (or Jones). whomever performs best!

The current Seahawks pre-Training Camp roster. Looks like good size for the OL starters & probable B/U's.

OLT-Duane Brown, 6-4/315 --------B/U- OT-George Fant, 6-5/322 -or- OT-Jamarco Jones, 6-4/293
OLG-Ethan Pocic, 6-6/320 --------B/U- OG-Rees Odhiamo, 6-4/315 -or- OG-Jordan Roos, 6-3/302
OC-Justin Britt, 6-6/315 --------B/U- OC-Ethan Pocic, 6-6/320 -or- OC-Marcus Henry,6-2/303
ORG-D. J. Fluker, 6-5/342 --------B/U- OG-Avery Young, 6-5/318 -or- OG-Skyler Phillips, 6-3/318, -or- ????
ORT-Germain Ifedi, 6-5/325 --------B/U- OT-George Fant, 6-5/322, -or- OT-Willie Beavers, or 6-5/322 -or- OT-Isiah Battle, 6-7/310 --------Anybody but Ifedi at ORT - IF - he hasn't been developed & fixed on penalties, they do have a few options there that potentially could replace Ifedi and put him on the bench. However, IF, Ifedi fianlly "gets It" and plays well, WIN-WIN, if not, he needs to SIT-SIT.

:smilingalien:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Damn, that's some large fellas right there. Thx for sharing. Could really come in handy for knocking some fools out in the running game.

sutz

Reaction score
Didn't our former OL guru favor smaller, more "athletic" players over large bulky ones? Perhaps we're recovering from that.

:stirthepot:

HawkGA

Reaction score
sutz":3jec8dbw said:
Didn't our former OL guru favor smaller, more "athletic" players over large bulky ones? Perhaps we're recovering from that.

:stirthepot:

It didn't matter if they were big or not. Everybody is basically the same size once they've fallen to the ground.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Big for sure, but can they pass protect or run block?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I remain hopeful as several of them may improve with their experience.

All in all to me it depends upon improvement from Ifedi or his replacement, and from both Guards. the could be a lot better than some are prepared to acknowledge.

adeltaY

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1prz47o1 said:
Big for sure, but can they pass protect or run block?

The only thing that matters tbh. Marshal Yanda isn't a massive dude but he's one of the best guards of our generation.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Nice, 9 responses to this post just about OL sizes and "ONLY" 4 (almost half) negative & irrelevant responses, things are improving on this site I guess. I don't understand supposed Seahawks fans that are always negative on EVERY topic -or- those that want to inject their own form of supposed humor into a relevant Seahawk information post, what does that add to anything? I'm not trying to be overly sensative, but negativity is a downer that doesn't make anyone feel good about the taem they have supported thru thick and thin over the years. Is it better to be negative and be right -or- be positive and also be right?

EVERY Seahawks game I've watched in my life, I've had the excpectation that they would win, right up to the final whistle. This type of positive attitude has been much more productive to me, just look at the won loss records and consider that the vast majority of losses were under 10 points in differential. The Seahawks 99% of the time are also very fun to watch and are easy to root for as a fan. This year will be no exception.

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Nice, 9 responses to this post just about OL sizes and "ONLY" 4 (almost half) negative & irrelevant responses, things are improving on this site I guess. I don't understand supposed Seahawks fans that are always negative on EVERY topic -or- those that want to inject their own form of supposed humor into a relevant Seahawk information post, what does that add to anything? I'm not trying to be overly sensative, but negativity is a downer that doesn't make anyone feel good about the taem they have supported thru thick and thin over the years. Is it better to be negative and be right -or- be positive and also be right?

EVERY Seahawks game I've watched in my life, I've had the excpectation that they would win, right up to the final whistle. This type of positive attitude has been much more productive to me, just look at the won loss records and consider that the vast majority of losses were under 10 points in differential. The Seahawks 99% of the time are also very fun to watch and are easy to root for as a fan. This year will be no exception.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1a0025eh said:

What "negative" responses are you talking about? The posts about hoping these big guys have the technique to block are completely valid. That's not negative. I would hope people don't expect a post to only draw favorable responses. It's the whole concept of having opinions and discussion.

Overly sensitive is a possibility. :D

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":eqnxexxk said:
EVERY Seahawks game I've watched in my life, I've had the excpectation that they would win, right up to the final whistle.

Even in the 90's?

homerun1970

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2wgqkcvr said:
CamanoIslandJQ":2wgqkcvr said:
EVERY Seahawks game I've watched in my life, I've had the excpectation that they would win, right up to the final whistle.

Even in the 90's?

Some of us are delusional it happens. I myself have moments. :D

chris98251

Reaction score
They were mostly big last year also except for Hunt and Pocic, that was the whole issue with our scheme, trying to make big guys play a quick and agile system meant for smaller guys with good agility versus good agility for their size. Along with rule changes that limited the advantage of that scheme.

Power scheme is much better suited for the type of guys we have now, I hope they can pick it up quickly, I think we should be pleasantly surprised with the outcome, don't expect it to be show cased though during pre season, I don't think we tip our hand much there to what's new with the Seahawks.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":32ar97o3 said:
They were mostly big last year also except for Hunt and Pocic, that was the whole issue with our scheme, trying to make big guys play a quick and agile system meant for smaller guys with good agility versus good agility for their size. Along with rule changes that limited the advantage of that scheme.

Power scheme is much better suited for the type of guys we have now, I hope they can pick it up quickly, I think we should be pleasantly surprised with the outcome, don't expect it to be show cased though during pre season, I don't think we tip our hand much there to what's new with the Seahawks.
Shouldn't be too much of a problem to pick up the power scheme - all they have to do is go back to whatever they were doing before Cable trained them to Neymar.

I'm pretty sure most OL *want* to hit people and shove them around, so they should take to it like offensive linemen to a buffet.