Let's just say we take a cornerback at 20

getnasty

Reaction score
So many good options at corner but feels like most of them are gone after round 1. Seems highly unlikely with Jackson playing solid and Tre Brown lingering around but if they went CB who do you like?

nwHawk

Reaction score
That’s not something Pete has ever done.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
not going to happen. They like their value CB's in the later rounds

CPHawk

Reaction score
That’s not something Pete has ever done.
He also has never taken a QB, WR, DL , C or LB in the first. Does that mean he won’t if one is available that he wants? No, and the tired argument of “Pete doesn’t take CB early,” is getting old.

If he had a shot at Ramsey, they would have sprinted to the stage to draft him.

Chevy

Reaction score
He also has never taken a QB, WR, DL , C or LB in the first. Does that mean he won’t if one is available that he wants? No, and the tired argument of “Pete doesn’t take CB early,” is getting old.

It may be getting old, but has proven to be true so far. Pete and John haven't drafted a CB in the 1st or 2nd round in any of their previous drafts.

Now if a top-10 CB Like Christian Gonzalez fell to their #20 pick, then yeah I could see then drafting him...unless they were offered a big trade offer for #20.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Now if a top-10 CB Like Christian Gonzalez fell to their #20 pick, then yeah I could see then drafting him...unless they were offered a big trade offer for #20.
Shoot...If Anderson is gone & they decide to pass on Carter, I'd be perfectly fine taking Gonzalez at 5. I don't think he'll get past Detroit at 6.

He's a CB1. Teaming him with Tariq could be special.

This class is so deep at Edge that you can still get a quality guy at Pick 20 or in the 2nd round. If that's the direction you want to go.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
Shoot...If Anderson is gone & they decide to pass on Carter, I'd be perfectly fine taking Gonzalez at 5. I don't think he'll get past Detroit at 6.
If Anderson and their top-3 QBs are off the board by the time we pick at #5 and we can't trade down....then Gonzalez or Will McDonnald would probably be the pick at #5.

CactusJack

Reaction score
If Anderson and their top-3 QBs are off the board by the time we pick at #5 and we can't trade down....then Gonzalez or Will McDonnald would probably be the pick at #5.
Some will prefer Witherspoon over him. But Gonzalez is a bigger longer corner & tested very well at the combine. He also has the speed to stay with faster receivers. I think he's a better match for a team that likes to play a lot of zone coverage. He's excellent in man & zone. You start him opposite Tariq & it's a potential problem for opposing teams.

Fwiw, McDonald won't go nearly that early. There's a very high likelihood that he'll still be available at 20.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the QB's after Young & Stroud. So I would just take the best defensive player at that spot.

Taking Anderson & Carter out of the conversation. Tyree Wilson & Gonzalez are the next two names to focus on. Some will be split on Wilson. While Gonzalez is the next best choice imo.

Some will prefer Witherspoon over him. But Gonzalez is a bigger longer corner & tested very well at the combine. He also has the speed to stay with faster receivers. I think he's a better match for a team that likes to play a lot of zone coverage. He's excellent in man & zone. You start him opposite Tariq & it's a potential problem for opposing teams.

Fwiw, McDonald won't go nearly that early. There's a very high likelihood that he'll still be available at 20.
I like Tyree Wilson a lot, but question his fit at DE for our 3-4 defense. We have discussed his fit on our defense in the past, and he was a polarizing prospect when taking about his fit our defense.

Witherspoon is a good player, but he doesn't have the measurables that Pete wants at CB, especially for a top-10 pick.

We will see on McDonnald. I know me and Mel Kiper seem to be the only ones to consider him a top-10 prospect at this point of the draft process. If he lasts to the late 1st round, I would be surprised.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I like Tyree Wilson a lot, but question his fit at DE for our 3-4 defense. We have discussed his fit on our defense in the past, and he was a polarizing prospect when taking about his fit our defense.

Witherspoon is a good player, but he doesn't have the measurables that Pete wants at CB, especially for a top-10 pick.

We will see on McDonnald. I know me and Mel Kiper seem to be the only ones to consider him a top-10 prospect at this point of the draft process. If he lasts to the late 1st round, I would be surprised.
They like to mix their even & odd fronts. My take is that his fit here is being too over analyzed. It's just an excuse. When you can actually move him around. Can play as a 3/4i/5.

Agreed on Witherspoon. His arms measured in at less than 32".

McDonald's size is going to be an issue for teams. He'll be viewed strictly as a 3-4 OLB. So not a fit for every team.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
They like to mix their even & odd fronts. My take is that his fit here is being too over analyzed. It's just an excuse. When you can actually move him around. Can play as a 3/4i/5.

Agreed on Witherspoon. His arms measured in at less than 32".

McDonald's size is going to be an issue for teams. He'll be viewed strictly as a 3-4 OLB. So not a fit for every team.
Good argument. But I'll push back a bit. Our scheme was weird. I saw a decent amount of 2 D-lineman fronts on non 3rd and long situations. I think the defensive coordinator got too cute or trying random stuff too often. Scheme does matter...and Pete prioritizes stopping the run first, so undersized 3-4 defensive lineman doesn't mesh with what Pete wants to defensively. If we ran an aggressive 3-4 defensive, that was all about getting pressure on the QB, then yes Tyree Wilson makes sense at DE...but that doesn't seem to be our scheme or personal fit for the position last year at DE. Although of the under 280 lbs DE that could thrive regardless of 2-gapping or 1-gapping in this draft, it would be Tyree Wilson.

McDonald is not a fit for every defense. But, he plays stronger than his listed weight. He got a bad evaluation vs the run because he was playing DE on a 3-4 defense. Thats like asking an athletic pass catching TE to play OG...bad fit by the coaches. He can be a weak side DE on a 4-3 defense at a Pro Bowl level or a All-Pro on at OLB on a 3-4 defense IMO.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I mean... Jordyn Brooks and LJ Collier...

It's not just that they haven't taken one in the first, it's that they've never taken one until the ass end of the third round, and they've done 13 drafts here. It's a reasonably huge sample size. Never say never, but it's a striking pattern and hard to ignore.

Chevy

Reaction score

He's a CB1. Teaming him with Tariq could be special.

This class is so deep at Edge that you can still get a quality guy at Pick 20 or in the 2nd round. If that's the direction you want to go.
Gonzalez defiantly is a fall back option at #5. He is a legit top-10 CB and yeah him and Tariq would be amazing. I'd prefer OLB Will McDonald, but Pete and John have allocated a lot of resources at that position already. So they may want to ride out with what they have at OLB.

Big athletic 3-4 DEs are plentiful in this draft, NT has some good options as well.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
I would be thrilled with Deonte Banks at 20. He the one guy I really like there.

12forlife

Reaction score
Wouldn't shock me if the Hawks picked Julius Brents CB Kansas St @ #20 dude screems Seahawk, 6'2" 200+, plays the ball well, and loves to hit!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked at all if they go CB at 5 if they see one they like, so yes at 20 for sure.

Bryant is still a question mark after a solid rookie season, who knows about Mike Jackson. You can't have too many good corners IMHO.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked at all if they go CB at 5 if they see one they like, so yes at 20 for sure.

Bryant is still a question mark after a solid rookie season, who knows about Mike Jackson. You can't have too many good corners IMHO.
I would not be unhappy with Devon Witherspoon at #5.