Link to Pete Carroll NFL Combine Press Conference .......

Jville

Reaction score
Press Conference >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/video/pete-carroll-it-s-a-big-time-of-the-year-pete-carroll-nfl-combine-press-conferen[/urltargetblank]

You Tube alternate >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fezTk-qlHU[/urltargetblank]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Has Pete ever used the word "arrogant" when describing his coaching philosophy or team for that matter?

Good to hear him speak that candidly, but quite the departure from his usual "everything's fine we just gotta compete more in the competing to make sure we're competing with the competitors" glass half full Pete speak.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point. When I heard that yesterday, I was shocked to say the least. Nice to hear him FINALLY put that out there. And he's right. Makes you wonder if all these changes and new voices are having an impact on him. Coaches are stubborn by nature, but if he actually is opening his mind a little to not always do it HIS WAY, I'm all in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ch93d5z said:
Good point. When I heard that yesterday, I was shocked to say the least. Nice to hear him FINALLY put that out there. And he's right. Makes you wonder if all these changes and new voices are having an impact on him. Coaches are stubborn by nature, but if he actually is opening his mind a little to not always do it HIS WAY, I'm all in.

If I had to guess, what had an impact on Pete was ownership showing him that his antiquated predictable coaching philosophies need some new ideas and minds on his staff.

Obviously pure unadulterated speculation. But a 70 year old coach usually doesn't say things like this without some sobering conversations with his bosses.

But as I've said in other threads, I'll believe this when I see it on the field.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. When I see it, that's where the proof is. Cautiously optimistic. But at the same time, I have a hard time seeing Pete just changing after all these decades of coaching.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think Pete is self aware enough to move the team forward without it being forced upon him. Its not wrong to shun constant change and the impulse to constantly tweak things because it seems as though everyone around you is seeing success doing what you're not, particularly if you feel you aren't being beaten by your opposition, but rather by your own inability to execute the way you should. At the end of the day, football is still a game that favors those who can impose their will. And for all the offensive approaches that have come and gone, stout defense and the ability to control the clock is still a winning formula.

It was big for him to acknowledge that there was a bit of hubris at play, for sure. But its not as though the philosophy hasnt been changing over the years. its just not been changing enough.

I think Pete just realizes now more than ever that the end is near, and that his legacy is one that will be defined as much now by how well the franchise does after he leaves as it will by how it did while he was here. With that mindset, one would look to embrace ideas that transfer one's core philosophy to younger minds that are better positioned to carry the flag into the future.

Whatever the reason, i'm excited to see what the fresh blood brings to the Hawks, and even more 'pumped and jacked' to potentially be getting a glimpse of the team's leadership, post Pete.

chris98251

Reaction score
keasley45":1hj3fz99 said:
I think Pete is self aware enough to move the team forward without it being forced upon him. Its not wrong to shun constant change and the impulse to constantly tweak things because it seems as though everyone around you is seeing success doing what you're not, particularly if you feel you aren't being beaten by your opposition, but rather by your own inability to execute the way you should. At the end of the day, football is still a game that favors those who can impose their will. And for all the offensive approaches that have come and gone, stout defense and the ability to control the clock is still a winning formula.

It was big for him to acknowledge that there was a bit of hubris at play, for sure. But its not as though the philosophy hasnt been changing over the years. its just not been changing enough.

I think Pete just realizes now more than ever that the end is near, and that his legacy is one that will be defined as much now by how well the franchise does after he leaves as it will by how it did while he was here. With that mindset, one would look to embrace ideas that transfer one's core philosophy to younger minds that are better positioned to carry the flag into the future.

Whatever the reason, i'm excited to see what the fresh blood brings to the Hawks, and even more 'pumped and jacked' to potentially be getting a glimpse of the team's leadership, post Pete.

Well first it was going to be Cable, then Bevell, then Richard, then Norton, who now? I see Pete Carrolls kid more then any, he has been here the whole time.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":fy4wj595 said:
keasley45":fy4wj595 said:

Well first it was going to be Cable, then Bevell, then Richard, then Norton, who now? I see Pete Carrolls kid more then any, he has been here the whole time.

Hasn't Pete Carroll's kid just not demoted?

keasley45

Reaction score
chris98251":1h1prouc said:
keasley45":1h1prouc said:

I dont think any of the above mentioned coaches / coordinators were tabbed to be the future or to adapt the team's philosophy to the future NFL.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":o94jujq3 said:
SoulfishHawk":o94jujq3 said:

If I had to guess, what had an impact on Pete was ownership showing him that his antiquated predictable coaching philosophies need some new ideas and minds on his staff.

Obviously pure unadulterated speculation. But a 70 year old coach usually doesn't say things like this without some sobering conversations with his bosses.

But as I've said in other threads, I'll believe this when I see it on the field.

I think Pete is setting the standard for being a 70-year-old coach... we will see how far Pete can take it with success. I think he went through his off-season process and made the adjustments a good coach should make, and I don't think it matters what influenced Pete to make the choices he made... the fact is he made them and that's what a good coach does. we are going to find out if they were the right choices because it always looks better in the off season...

I think this is an exciting time for Hawks fans plenty of questions to be answered in FA and then an interesting draft...but so far it looks good...

LTH

olyfan63

Reaction score
C'mon people, remember the Dick Vermeil precedent!

Vermeil and the 1999 Rams were not predicted to do much that year, especially after starting QB Trent Green went down with an ACL injury in preseason. Vermeil was 63 that year, and reports were that he stopped micro-managing his coordinators, and delegated more. Certain to his OC Mike Martz.

OK, it's a stretch to see the parallel, but at age 70, Pete stops hiring yes-men coordinators, and honestly delegates and lets them do their job, and brings in Sean Desai on the defensive side. Now all we need is the second coming of Kurt Warner.

So, if we're going to see the Pete Carroll version of the Dick Vermeil '99 Rams, it will be on the defensive side of the ball. Desai and Hurtt will put together a defense for the ages, with a new system (3-4 looks?), a key injury will wipe out a defensive star (Bobby Wagner?) and a surprise new star will appear seemingly out of nowhere (Jordyn Brooks moves to Bobby's spot? Jamal Adams moves to LB? We luck into Luke Kuechly 2.0 in the draft? An Arena league/XFL/CFL signing shocks everyone?)

Or maybe the parallel is that we lose our starting QB by Russell getting traded, JS lures Stan Gelbaugh out of retirement, and Pete tearfully announces, "We will rally around Stan Gelbaugh and we will play good football!" OK, so that's a bit farfetched. Pete wouldn't openly cry like Dick Vermeil.

I think I'll settle for the version where Pete simply delegates, and it turns out he has brought in brilliant minds on both O and D and Pete can LEAD, and the OC and DC actually come up with game plans tailored to each opponent's strengths and weaknesses, and then adjust the plans quickly during the game based on what the opponent is doing. Pete tells Shane Waldon, "Shayne, score early and often, but your O freakin better be able to run the ball down their throats with a lead and 4 minutes left on the clock." Pete tells Sean Desai and Clint Hurtt, "Let's impose our will on them defensively by disguising what we're doing and forcing them into bad decisions and turnovers."

Shane Waldron impressed me with his game plans for the Chicago game and Cardinals road game. Probably others too, just those are the ones where I definitely saw his game plan being executed.

Pete HAS been arrogant, with the "Impose our will" bullcrap, for so long. I hope there is a real change this season.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pwwo5hq said:
Has Pete ever used the word "arrogant" when describing his coaching philosophy or team for that matter?

Good to hear him speak that candidly, but quite the departure from his usual "everything's fine we just gotta compete more in the competing to make sure we're competing with the competitors" glass half full Pete speak.

Ive never heard him use that term about his team before... It caught my attention as well... as a rule I don't see the hawks as an arrogant team with the exception of a few like Adams

LTH