List of coaching failures in Rams game

Tokadub

Reaction score
- Thomas Rawls should not have started this game. It was clear from week one his explosive burst that he had last season is not there right now. Something is still wrong with Rawls, and now he has been injured in a game he shouldn't have even played in. Starting the game with 2 runs with Rawls set the tone of the entire game, bad coaching.

- Christine Michael averaged 6 yards per carry. He was the only good player we had on offense this day, yet once again Bevell is unable to call a game correctly even when something is so obviously working. cmike had what 10 carries when Wilson is injured... Why? Coaching failure.

- Our offensive line hasn't looked this good against the Rams in recent years. Were they great? No pretty bad still but anyone blaming this one on the offensive line is totally blind to the reality of this situation. There is no way we should of expected the o-line to play any better against the Rams. When was the last time Wilson only sacked twice Vs Rams? Seems like they normally get him 5 times minimum. This game was easily winnable with good coaching ! stop blaming offensive line that's the "feel good" excuse but it was not at all the cause of this loss, it was poor coaching.

- Shead could not cover Britt not even close. Our inability to adjust our defensive scheme is becoming increasingly infuriating. How much money are we paying Sherman? Is he worth that price when he is thrown at once per game if Shead is just simply athletically incapable of covering Britt. We are completely wasting Sherman's talents and minimizing him to a role where he literally has no game impact whatsoever... Horrific coaching.

- Don't get me started on offensive play calling...

- We only use Jimmy Graham for consistent short plays at end of first half... In a situation where we need to get down field fast...completely opposite of when we should be using him to help create a consistent offense when time is not a concern.

- So many 3rd down plays that had no chance to pick up the yards necessary. Typical Bevell calling plays that are 2-3 yards short by design.

- Poor zone defense, guys not picking it up fast enough or physically too slow, makes it extremely easy even for bad QBs. When are we gonna man up and put some pressure on receivers like we did before the rule emphasis on defensive pass interference? Our zone defense has been soft and exploitable ever since we got scared to use man coverage with the new rule emphasis. We won't be winning any turnover battles playing like this, we weren't even close to 1 single interception against Keenum. Something needs to change schematically immediately.

- Poor roster decisions continue to haunt us ever since losing Tate for Harvin. The list is too numerous for me to go through with iPad typing but one example is Jimmy Graham. Paying an injured TE so much money when Bevell has an extensive history of failing to utilize talent correctly... It's just insanely stupid. I would of let Graham go this off-season especially with his injury. Graham's cost to game impact ratio is absurdly skewed... He's a huge waste of money. Similar to how we are using Sherman so far this season.

Why do we keep overpaying offensive players like Harvin and Graham who will never thrive with Bevell but we get rid of so many players that would have much better cost to performance ratio.

We lose Maxwell who was necessary if you are unwilling to move Sherman so he has consistent game impact.

Bruce Irvin is another player we will really miss and we never even used him to his full potential the entire time we had him. Why do we even bother drafting these athletic freaks if we don't use them 1/2 as much as we could and then we lose them cause they are worth way more than what we got out of them.

We get rid of or never give a chance to multiple players that really seemed to deserve it. Chris Matthews, Kevin Norwood to name a few in favor of risky frequently injured guys like Prich. Prich is amazing and phenomenal talent but knowing he is injury prone why do we never give a chance to these other seemingly solid consistent guys?

- Seems Pete is just too nice to players doesn't wanna bruise their ego or confidence and it's causing him to make strategically and schematically poor coaching decisions. Examples include:

Turban getting so many plays in the past when any number of players including Cmike would of been more productive.

Sherman not being moved to where he can have game impact, doesn't want other defenders to feel like they can't do it even when they so obviously can't.

Rawls starting the game over Cmike when he clearly wasn't ready, no explosive burst whatsoever with Rawls currently he doesn't look even comparable to his form last year... Why rush him back?

- Takes too long to type with iPad but you get the point. Our coaching staff needs to get their act together the Rams game was awful and we will be seeing more and more of this if they don't get it together ASAP enough of this coaching in fairy tale land, start fixing things and making smart strategical choices. A lot of what we do seems to me like very low IQ decisions, particularly Bevell. We are better then that! We need to start coaching smart right now.

McGruff

Reaction score
Some of these are repetitive and some are just weird . . .

Kevin Norwood and Chris matthews? Really? Where are those guys now?

Bron Maxwell has become a laughing stock for bad CB contracts, and last week Shead was a hero and the highest rated CB in the league.

You don't game plan around Kenny Britt. Like, ever.

The oline was Horrific. It didn't show against Wilson becuase the injury limited him and the Rams line seemed to know that, but their aggresiveness against the run killed us.

There are points I agree with, namely the use of Jimmy Graham and some of the offensive playcalling. But I think Baldwin was hurt much worse, and when Lockett went down leaving us with Kearse and Richarsson, we were screwed.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
After seeing what Chris Matthews did in Super Bowl ya I think it's fair to wonder why we never used him earlier in the season. Seems like every time we used him it worked for real... I can't remember really any failed Matthews plays whatsoever. Considering our offensive struggles that season it's mind boggling why Matthews didn't get more targets.

Same thing with Norwood, I'm just imagining what it must of been like for him playing for this organization it truly was a joke. "Sorry Norwood we only target you 10 times and you caught 9 for over 10 yards per catch. Not close to our expectations get lost bud."

How does someone catch 9 of 10 catches for over 10 yards per catch and we let him go while keeping a guy like Kearse who has horrible hands and separation issues. Both Norwood and Matthews seem like a better fit for us than Kearse if healthy. They both possessed the ability to easily block out defenders and create an extremely easy freebie completion for a deadly accurate QB like Wilson.

Just because a player we used to have doesn't thrive on another team doesn't give us an excuse to not use them when they were by far more productive than what we had at the time.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I was honestly just thinking about how suffocating the man coverage used to be. I know they modified the rules 100% because of how dominate the LOB was, but I'd still like to see more of it. Teams never test Earl or Richard anymore (outside of a huge brain fart -- looking at you ET). Everything is safe and we keep it in front. Don't get me wrong, it's worked very well, but think back to all the turnovers they used to force. The offense THRIVED on them. Close game, not much working on offense, and suddenly a huge pick gets the ball on the opposite side of the field. Marshawn would come in fired up and bam, quick touchdown.

I'd like to see ET and Sherm more involved in the gameplan going forward. They are playmakers who are essentially neutralized by teams avoiding them. Leave RS on an island more, he was terrific early on at baiting QBs to throw his way.

And to piggy back - the lack of Jimmy Graham usage in the middle of the field since we got him is criminal. Stop forcing him to be an in-line blocker. Give him Kearse's routes.