Liv and pga to merge

Lennie

Reaction score
It’s about money. It’s always about the money. PIF (The
Saudi Public Investment Fund) will eventually take over the PGA tour. They (PIF) have virtually unlimited resources.

On a side note, as much as I am not a Phil Mickelson fan still think he is a douche. He should be a vindicated. He called this.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
For fans, I wonder how much this will affect tournament scheduling. That’s where it impacts us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as I disliked LIV, the PGA wasn't going to outlast a tour that took 30% of their best players and had the deepest pockets in the history of league ownership to just continue to bribe players to defect from the PGA.

In the end this should be a good thing for us golf fans (and I assume most of the players). More money, and most importantly more continuity with TV, tournaments, qualifications, majors, etc. That's all golf fans want, to see the best players all playing in the same tournaments.

Lennie

Reaction score
I’m curious how the players that turned down millions to join LIV will react. Johnson, Koepka, Mickelson and others get to have their cake and eat it to.
I wonder if they would receive any type of compensation?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I’m curious how the players that turned down millions to join LIV will react. Johnson, Koepka, Mickelson and others get to have their cake and eat it to.
I wonder if they would receive any type of compensation?

Yeah they didn't even tell the players 1st, so the fallout from guys like Spieth, Tiger, Rory, etc who turned down HUNDREDS of millions to be the tip of the spear for the PGA in railing against LIV, some to the detriment of their own game like Rory is going to be fascinating to watch.

This whole thing is messy as hell, so it's gonna be a wild ride for a while as they iron out all the money, etc.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I love golf but forgive me if this is a dumb question but will the USA still have the 4 major tournaments per year here?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Players who didn't take the money in shambles.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Phil Mickelson deleting tweets as fast as he can right now.

Lennie

Reaction score
Yeah they didn't even tell the players 1st, so the fallout from guys like Spieth, Tiger, Rory, etc who turned down HUNDREDS of millions to be the tip of the spear for the PGA in railing against LIV, some to the detriment of their own game like Rory is going to be fascinating to watch.

This whole thing is messy as hell, so it's gonna be a wild ride for a while as they iron out all the money, etc
I love golf but forgive me if this is a dumb question but will the USA still have the 4 major tournaments per year here
I love golf but forgive me if this is a dumb question but will the USA still have the 4 major tournaments per year here?
The Majors shouldn’t be affected in any way. I would imagine the world golf rankings would change.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Only three of the majors are in the US, the British Open (The Open) is in the UK and Ireland.

Lennie

Reaction score
Only three of the majors are in the US, the British Open (The Open) is in the UK and Ireland.
Also, the majors are not run by the PGA tour. The Masters is run by Augusta National. The PGA championship is run by the PGA of America. Not to be confused with the PGA tour. The US Open is run by the USGA. And finally the British Open is put on by the R&A (Royal and Ancient)
It is a bit confusing As they are on the PGA schedule.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If the PGA tournaments are still played in the U.S., this doesn’t make a material difference for fans. However, I hope it doesn’t mean PGA tournaments may go overseas.

Rat

Reaction score
As a huge pro golf fan, I'm very intrigued by this, but I can't help feeling bad for good guys like Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth, and Justin Thomas who were penalized for being loyal to the Tour.

On a related note, this is going to be must-see TV:

knownone

Reaction score
So, after all that moral grandstanding, they cut a deal?

I'm waiting for the report about both leagues hemorrhaging money. That's the only way something this big gets done in such a short amount of time.

It's also a giant middle finger to the guys that championed the league, who, in hindsight, would have been better off cashing in on that LIV money. Maybe this deal rewards those players, despite the league having no financial incentive to do so.

Rainger

Reaction score
It’s about money. It’s always about the money. PIF (The
Saudi Public Investment Fund) will eventually take over the PGA tour. They (PIF) have virtually unlimited resources.

On a side note, as much as I am not a Phil Mickelson fan still think he is a douche. He should be a vindicated. He called this.
So did Trump 11 months ago!

Will be interesting to see if any of the new innovations that LIV brought to the game will be added into the staid old PGA stuffed shirts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if any of the new innovations that LIV brought to the game will be added into the staid old PGA stuffed shirts.

They've already said they'd like to incorporate some of the LIV formats, like teams, etc.

Which IMO would be great. Golf fans love Ryder Cup style formats. Why not incorporate that into a handful of PGA tour events a year.