LJ Collier and Marquise Blair

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":6pl24su6 said:
JayhawkMike":6pl24su6 said:
I would be okay with the Seahawks contracting drafting in the first two rounds to an outside consultant. Collier, Penny, McDowell, Ifedi . . . Who will be this years third rounder picked in the first round or whatever pick the Seahawks make first?
Had to get your Penny dig in didn't you?
Yes he did..Penny never makes it to the third for sure.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think Blair will be just fine. If he was to put on about 10-15 more pounds of muscle without loosing speed that would be great this off-season. I could see him supplanting McDougald as our starting SS at some point this coming season.

Collier is more of a head scratcher for me. It does take time to learn the DE position in the NFL. Also, he plays the same position as Clowney as a 5tech. So the hope would be that he can develop well enough to back up Clowney and possibly even get some downs as a DT in a rotation. I don't see star written on him at all. But it's just too soon to say with him hurt and missing so much of camp. This off-season is real important for him to get stronger and be ready for camp. He can't afford to miss time again.

I still think they should have taken Sweat at 21 instead of moving down. We had pick 30 for that purpose.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
kf3339":18h78xws said:
knownone":18h78xws said:
Both guys are hard to judge at the moment.

Blair flashed massive potential in his brief appearances in the lineup. He looks like a guy who needs some time to learn the scheme before he can be trusted on the field. I wouldn't be shocked if he pulls a Kam and becomes a valuable starter in his second season.

Collier is anyone's guess. I'm personally of the belief that Seattle was expecting Montez Sweat to fall to them, when Washington grabbed him they panicked into taking the only other viable DE option. It's the only rational explanation I can think of to explain the pick. Collier at the time wasn't really a need; we had/have a ton of guys on the roster with a similar skill set, but we really had no speed rushers out outside of Martin.

If Montez Sweat was the preferred choice they should have just taken him at 21, and forgot all the trade down crap they do every year. What is so wrong with grabbing a guy to replace Clark on a rookie contract. They still had pick 30 to do the trade down stuff. I really liked what I saw in Sweat the few times I saw him in college. He had 7 sacks his rookie year on a crap team. What number would he have had with Clowney on the other side? Who knows.

This is also not the first time. They traded down in 2017 passing on both TJ Watt for DE and Ramczyk for OT. Instead they went for a head case in McDowell. Our drafts have underwhelmed for the last 4-5 years. That is why we are in this predicament.

Agreed they have passed on a ton of talent trading down to add picks for guys like Posic and Lano Hill. We traded Clark got 2 first round picks to work with last draft and all we got was Metcalf and it was just blind luck he was still on the board. I have no faith in JS via the draft he's much better in FA . Wilson is in his prime and a top 3 QB in the NFL and he's carrying this FO. Pete needs to go back to the guy he was when he first got here if your not producing your out. That goes for his coaching staff ,players and GM.

Largent80

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":xa6nr87r said:
I have no faith in JS via the draft

Really???...JS is the guy that drafted Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Richard Sherman the latter two in later rounds. Then he got a guy from the CFL (Browner)....Hmmmm the L.O.B......terrible drafting right?

The draft is hit/miss and it depends on needs and what is available ALONG with available cap space.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2cyh6i61 said:
Northwest Seahawk":2cyh6i61 said:

Really???...JS is the guy that drafted Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Richard Sherman the latter two in later rounds. Then he got a guy from the CFL (Browner)....Hmmmm the L.O.B......terrible drafting right?

The draft is hit/miss and it depends on needs and what is available ALONG with available cap space.

He hasn't had a good draft in over 4 years.I give JS a ton of credit drafting Wilson was genius but you have to be able to change and adapt and he's not his draft model isn't working anymore . Hasn't for a number of years now. I really hope he has a good draft this year .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3m4rmttc said:
Largent80":3m4rmttc said:
Northwest Seahawk":3m4rmttc said:

He hasn't had a good draft in over 4 years.I give JS a ton of credit drafting Wilson was genius but you have to be able to change and adapt and he's not his draft model isn't working anymore . Hasn't for a number of years now. I really hope he has a good draft this year .

Griffin Brothers
DK
Michael Dickson
Dissly
Flowers
Penny
Carson
Reed
Lockett
Clark

That's your current and former starters with a handful of Pro Bowlers mixed in over the past four years.

I won't argue that Pete and John's hit rate on the draft hasn't been good enough to re-stock the roster with above average to elite talent to get back to the SB, but IMO this is more a product of winning = lower and less picks + Pete getting further and further away from having the scouting advantage over the rest of the league like he did in the beginning.

Just means we're more the median average of talent mined from the draft, rather than exceptional like we were the first 2-3 years of Pete's tenure.

BASF

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":tlvhbj2i said:
Largent80":tlvhbj2i said:
Northwest Seahawk":tlvhbj2i said:

Seventh best success rate in the league between 2015 and 2018, but yeah no good draft.
https://overthecap.com/looking-at-nfl-draft-success-since-2015/

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
BASF":2qoi20yl said:
Northwest Seahawk":2qoi20yl said:
Largent80":2qoi20yl said:
Northwest Seahawk":2qoi20yl said:

Seventh best success rate in the league between 2015 and 2018, but yeah no good draft.
https://overthecap.com/looking-at-nfl-draft-success-since-2015/

I don't care what abstract system some nerd came up with for boiling a draft's quality down to a single percentage. After Clark and Lockett, nobody in his right mind thinks 2015's draft was any better than 2014 or 2013. The depth from those years was non-existent, and what we did get either got hurt or escaped to other teams.

2016 and 2017 were slightly better.

2018, now we're talking. Four starter-quality guys, three nice rotational players.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
While less than enamoured with our first round pick success recently, if all we got out of the draft last year was Metcalf I would determine that to be a successful draft. But that isn't all we got. Combining the draft with all Schneider's wheeling and dealing we got DK, some line depth, a potential starting safety, a potential linebacker replacement, not to mention CLOWNEY. I don't see any way to say that isn't a successful offseason of acquisition.
Having said that we can clearly improve our stats in the first round. That may require maneuvering for a higher pick than #27 in order to get what we most want, instead of a fallback plan. I want to see us get in on one of the best of the best, instead of beginning with our choice of the rest.

BASF

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":15jgjtwr said:
After Clark and Lockett, nobody in his right mind thinks 2015's draft was any better than 2014 or 2013. The depth from those years was non-existent, and what we did get either got hurt or escaped to other teams.

It is not even remotely fair to knock a GM's picks for them getting injured or them no longer being on the team.

I am not saying that they were good drafts, but I am pointing out that compared to the rest of the league we are in the top third of success rate on a consistent basis. A lot of the people who treat the draft like it is their religion focus only on the successes of others (with big splash drafts) and discount the success that we have because it is not up to their standards.